PDA

View Full Version : limit rating has started on dial-up connections

roofus
10-07-2002, 08:45 PM
I'm with e3 which by the way is about to put their fees up to $17.95 a month, and also they have done this

Date: 7/5/2002 2:03:00 PM
Effect: New P2P Limitations.
Details: Currently the VISP Network is rate limiting P2P Applicatations (including but not exclusively Kazaa, Morpehus, WinMX, RhubarbToast and Peer2Pear). This effects both Dialup and ADSL services.

Has this happened at any other ISP's
It's kinda disgusting how ISP's can do what they want, and continue to downgrade services, while increasing prices.

Another question, Do you think we have a case against ISP's under section 29 of the Consumers Guarantees Act
where it states

Where services are supplied to a consumer there is a guarantee that the service, and any product resulting from the service, will be
(a) Reasonably fit for any particular purpose; and
(b) of such a nature and quality that it can reasonably be expected to achieve a particular result,-

that the consumer makes known to the supplier, before or at the time of the making of the contract for the supply of the service, as the particular purpose for which the service is required or the reult that the consumer desires to achieve.

it could be implied that the "particular purpose" for obtaining an internet connection is to trasmit data to and from other computers around the world, and hence the limitation e3 has put upon myself is an infringement under this section.

robo
10-07-2002, 09:03 PM
Read the fine print, dude.
Usually they can change terms and conditions however they like.
Look at Sky with their chopping and changing of channels on their Digital service. UKTV gone, Geographic disappeared during World Cup (not that I was unhappy, nosiree).
There's heaps of other examples. What about TVNZ chopping shows before the end of the Series, TV3 does that too (except Home Improvement which they keep repeating to the point where my daughter knows every line).
More important that the local price of milk hasn't dropped to reflect the international price. If we saved 50c per 2 litres we could all afford more bandwidth (we go through at least two bottles a day, that is $7 a week, would pay for double my JetStream allowance).
I sympathise, I really do. But they would see it as plugging loopholes or adjusting load or something.
robo.

Elwin Way
10-07-2002, 09:45 PM
Good call Rob.

You'll also find a clause that basically says:

"We cannot guarantee a fault free service, and are not automatically responsible when it's not."

In other words, we supply milk, but if its off, don't come whinging to us.

"We reserve the right to add / remove components as we see fit to ensure a constant supply to all customers"

translate to:

We may put a cap on your milk bottle. We may not. If we don't, and it spills, it's not our problem.

The basic point is (and I have read more than 5 ISP terms and conditions (for research I'm doing) including Xtra's 10 page job) that they don't really guarantee anything, although they may strive towards something, and can chop and change how they like.

Dragonslayer
12-07-2002, 01:30 PM
Just change the TCP/UDP port that the application uses (6699) for Winmx, make it 6690 or whatever.

-=JM=-
12-07-2002, 09:42 PM
> Just change the TCP/UDP port that the application
> uses (6699) for Winmx, make it 6690 or whatever.

That could work but the problem is that the ISP may choose to just *enable* certain ports and disallow all others if need be.