PDA

View Full Version : FAQ 35: How do I stop my modem making noise?

Sam H
10-07-2002, 08:35 PM
The noises you hear when your modem is dialing up are what the modem uses
to communicate with other computers around the world.

Sometimes these noises can become very annoying and you decide you wouldn't like to hear them anymore, if you have decided this then follow these instructions to turn of your modem speaker.

First click on the start button then open the control panel, once you have
done this then double click on the Network Connections icon and then right-click the internet connection you use and select properties. This will open a new window, make sure you have the general tab selected and underneath where it tells you what modem you connect with there will be a button that has the word configure written on it, click this and it will open up another window. On this you should uncheck the box that says enable modem speaker, click ok all the way out and your modem will not make that annoying sound when connecting any more.

Best of luck

Regards
Sam H

Note: I hope this will work with all windows versions as I only have XP Home to try it on.

This is my first FAQ so I hope I have done it to standard, let me know if there is anything I should change. And sorry I have just realized that I took it from Graham's list.

I am also working on a FAQ which I don't think is in the list but I believe should be, it is: How come my 56k modem doesn't connect at 56kbps?

Sam H
10-07-2002, 10:36 PM
<bump>

Susan B
10-07-2002, 10:51 PM
Good work Sam. :-)

There has been another method mentioned in past threads when the modem still won't shutup even after performing the routine you described. These are the instructions that I copied and pasted from my notes:

You can mute the modem by using the ATM0 initialisation string or ATM1 for low sound. To set this go to Control panel, click on modems, press the properties button, go to the connection tab and press the advanced button. In the extra settings box type ATM0 (zero). Next time you dial up the modem should be as quiet as a mouse.

Credit to Tristan Speak.

Your other suggested FAQ would be useful too, so go ahead with that. Thanks!

Hervard
12-07-2002, 03:11 PM
You could also plug an unused pair of earphones into the appropriate jack in the modem, so that it only goes through the earphones. Or just some connector that fits in there for sound.

--
Hervard