PDA

View Full Version : Home built computer...

Mr. Insanity
10-07-2002, 01:22 PM
Hi, I have decided to build my own computer, it's main use will be gaming, but I am on a budget of ~$2800

The parts:
3R System Neon Light Case , 300W ATX PSU (Already got)
Athlon XP 2000+
Gigabyte GA-7VRX motherboard
Gainward GeForce4 Ultra/650 TV video card (Ti4200, 64Mb RAM)
Diamond Data DD401248 CD-Writer (Already got)
Seagate Barracuda IV 80GB
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy DE
Memtek 256MB PC2100 DDR Memory X2 (512MB RAM)
XP Professional OEM
and a cheap Mitsumi floppy disk drive.

i'm getting the parts from Ascent Technology and Paradigm PC and the end price is: $2660.44

Comments? Suggestions?
My main concern is the motheboard, i'm not sure if I should get a Gigabyte or a Soltek...

segfault
10-07-2002, 01:42 PM
Do you really need a floppy disk drive? They went out years ago :) Try shopping around some more, I'm sure you can get a much better price than that. Try www.pricespy.co.nz My neighbour was able to get his pc prebuilt for about $1800 inc GST. He had a Athlon XP 1800, GF4 64mb MX420 (Gainwood), 24x cd burner, cdrom drive, 512mb 133 ram, speakers, keyboard, mouse, etc and a really nice case! A bit of bargaining was required but it turned out cheaper than building it ourselves.

nzStan
10-07-2002, 02:19 PM
I've used both Mobos before. They are fine but I ended up with a Soltek from e-one.co.nz because it was on a special deal with RAM and Processor. I got a Soltek + AMD1.4 + 256MB Ram for under $800 +gst.

Check them out at www.e-one.co.nz

There are probably a few other shops with specials. Shop around for them.

nzStan
10-07-2002, 02:22 PM
Sorry I think I paid 500 + gst :p can't remember hmmmmmm..... what was I smoking?????

Sam H
10-07-2002, 02:28 PM
Floppy drives still have their use, when you want to transfer only small files.

May I also suggest adding a 52x cdrom drive in addition to your writer, you will find it comes in handy now and then for games :D ;) ;\

Mr. Insanity
10-07-2002, 03:39 PM
Ooops, forgot about that. I got a spare DVD ROM lying round... 48X CD Rom I think, it'll do.

Mr. Insanity
10-07-2002, 03:47 PM
I've already got 2 pre build computers...I wanna build one my self.
The floppy drive is only $30, I may as well get it. They're handy for little files. I might want to transfer some files from my dads computer too (which doesn't have a CD-R)

Elwin Way
10-07-2002, 06:49 PM
www.computerpulse.co.nz have cheap parts. They are online only and I have ordered from them on 2 occasions and found them to be good both times.

Heather P
10-07-2002, 06:59 PM
Some time ago John Calvert created the hardware list (with a lot of help from the forum) and I hosted it. It hasn't been updated in the last few months but it's still up there in cyberspace

http://www.details.co.nz/suppliers/

Heather P
10-07-2002, 07:06 PM
Another site created by a Press F1 poster is http://www.unleash.co.nz/ He's got a neat little form for working out what you need.

Mr. Insanity
10-07-2002, 07:17 PM
I looked at that a while back....
I've been picking parts and bargain hunting for ~3 months now,
Here are the prices for the components if your wondering:
Case: $182.12
CPU: $395
M/B: $237.72
Graphics Card: $423
CD-RW: $230.10
HDD: $250.00
Sound Card: $265
Ram: $238
FDD: $30.00

Some parts I can get a couple bucks cheaper elseware, but I want to keep to only 2 suppliers.

tweak\'e
10-07-2002, 07:36 PM
monitor??

don't forget the small things like screws and cables. not all cases/drives/etc come with screws etc.

heatsink?
case fans?
keyboard?
mouse?
speakers?

Sam H
10-07-2002, 07:37 PM
Check out Computer Links (http://liquid2k.com/computerlinks/index.html)

You may find a useful link to help you with building your computer.

Elwin Way
10-07-2002, 09:02 PM
> not all cases come with screws etc.

er, they wouldn't happen to be screwless cases by any chance?

:^O

tweak\'e
10-07-2002, 09:09 PM
lolololololol ;-)

just cheapo's

Mr. Insanity
10-07-2002, 09:16 PM
jeez whats wrong with me today...

Going to use the monitor I am using now (17" CRT) the computer I am using now is going to become a business computer and a 15" CRT that I have lying round will be used with it.

Same with the Speakers, I got some older speakers that will be fine for business use.

I have spare Keyboard,mouse etc.

As I said in my opening post I already have the case, it comes with 2 case fans and HEAPS of screws. Only 4 thumb screws are actully needed for opening the case so I am guessing the others I got are for the m/b etc.

heatsink....well I dunno, I was considering on getting a Volcanno 7 Fan+Heatsink. But the Athlon comes with a fan (admittingly not as good) but I don't plan on overclocking it.

I'm a couple hundread under budget, so I might just get a Volcano 7 in the end.

Bazza
10-07-2002, 10:21 PM
Hi Mr Insanity - Good idea to get the Volcano 7. I found it far better than the standard HS & fan that came with the Athlon CPU.

boom23
10-07-2002, 11:06 PM
www.stylespc.co.nz
www.starlyte.co.nz

ascent would be abit expensive for some parts.. or most parts. I'd suggest you stay away from ascent. You could build that computer cheaper.

www.pricespy.co.nz <- this is a very good source.

tech_mister
14-07-2002, 11:36 AM
That looks a pretty fine system ,there Mr Insanity.
Good on you for building it yourself.
The Gigabyte m/b should be fine if you don,t plan on overclocking,but
bear in mind that gigabyte m/b,s only come with a 12 month warranty.
I tend to stay away from G/B m/b because of there AMI bioses,but thats
just a personal thing.
A floppy drive is a essentual,when all else fails, the floppy drive won,t.
Think about changing ram brand as I have had trouble with Memtek.
the speed is ok as there is almost no point going pc2700 when you don,t overclock the fsb on the cpu.
I would stick with Ascent & Paradigm,at least you know they will be around if you have any warrant issues.
I would think about installing win98se ,I know XP,s all the rage and it is
a very stable os ,but it has alot of bugs and compatibility issues,especially
with games,I had so many games that would not work on the kidds pc that I put win98 back on. Duel boot would be Ideal,my pc has XP,win98 and Linux on it and a program called Systems Commander controling them
( this program manages to swap and hide partions so that each os thinks
it is booting from the C: drive )
At the end of the day Win98 will run every program,game and piece of
hardware ever made.

Good luck.

Mr. Insanity
14-07-2002, 12:24 PM
thanks for you comments tech_mister.
I probably won't get Memtek RAM anyway, I just found the cheapest RAM I could, but RAM prices are changing all the time so it really depends on what Ascent or Paradigm are selling at the time I buy the RAM. (I am buying things seperate, I just ordered my CPU a couple nights ago, Motherboard will be ordered in a week or 2)

About the OS: I'm going to stick with XP, my current computer has never crashed with XP Pro. A couple programs hanged a few times, but XP seems good at recovering and getting the Task Manager up so I can close the program (98 and ME both and trouble and I had to turn off,turn on the box)

anyway, arn't MS going to cut support for 98 in a couple months?

tweak\'e
14-07-2002, 12:38 PM
> anyway, arn't MS going to cut support for 98 in a
> couple months?

a couple of years i think.(about the same time the next os comes out knowing MS)