PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove my Laptops Power-on Password?

Kiwi
10-07-2002, 10:23 AM
I have a Compaq armada 1500c. I leant it out over the weekend. Now it has a power-on password. And I can 't remove it. Any Ideas?

Thanks, Kiwi

BIFF
10-07-2002, 01:44 PM
Sure sure, I suppose it was returned from it's weekend by a bloke down at the pub? Only kidding. :p You could try hunting on the net for a master password, some compaqs use MaST4you as the password. On that particular model you will find 3 screws on the bottom (one under floppy, one in the middle, and one under the battery. Unscrew them and the keyboard will lift up. Under there there will be a button battery pluged in. Unplug it for 30 seconds and the system may be wiped of it's password. Can't be sure as I've not had this problem on this model before.
Personally I'd just use it to bludgen the person who put the password on there to a bloody pulp.

Kiwi
10-07-2002, 02:12 PM
Thanks BIFF, however I've tried that but no luck.

vk_dre
10-07-2002, 03:18 PM
not sure if this helps, used to have laptop and i also had that problem, does the bios screen come first or the password screen? if the bios screen comes up first press delete immediately and you should enter bios, there look around in each folder and uncheck "power on password" this should work, but only if bios comes up first, if not try making a boot up floppy disk on a home computer with bios settings then insert that into ur floppy disk drive on laptop.( only if home computer is also win2k), that should also work ( i think) :|

cheers,
v.K-----------;)

vk_dre
10-07-2002, 03:21 PM
not sure if this helps, used to have laptop and i also had that problem, does the bios screen come first or the password screen? if the bios screen comes up first press delete immediately and you should enter bios, there look around in each folder and uncheck "power on password" this should work, but only if bios comes up first, if not try making a boot up floppy disk on a home computer with bios settings then insert that into ur floppy disk drive on laptop.( only if home computer is also win2k), that should also work ( i think) :|

cheers,
v.K----------- ;)

vk_dre
10-07-2002, 03:21 PM
sorry double post

Graham L
10-07-2002, 03:44 PM
Some Compaq laptops have a better protection of the powerup password than a battery backed CMOS. (There is a large worldwide industry which sells cheap laptops --- their stock comes free at airports).

I have read somewhere that if you can prove that you own the laptop, Compaq will reset the password.

You must be a very kind person to lend a laptop. ;-) I would never do that, because my experience has been that anything fragile and/or valuable and/or important when lent comes back late, damaged, or both . And it's never anyone's fault . :-( It just happens.

Graham L
10-07-2002, 05:31 PM
I've had a look to see if there's anything helpful. I did find this site which would be worth a look: http://www.mycompaqlink.com/

I see that Compaq were quite proud of their "robust security" when they launched that model at "from HK$17888".

Kiwi
11-07-2002, 11:02 AM
Thanks everyone. My laptop is working great. I went to on the net to find a cmos cracker. Luckily this worked. :)

Kiwi

Graham L
11-07-2002, 05:25 PM
So much for robust security. :D

dijklarg
28-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Hey Kiwi,

could you give me some hints to crack the Cmos.... ? Ive got the same problems as you did!

greets Harm

dijklarg
28-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Kiwi,

could you tell me, how you excactly crack your CMOS off your compac?

Greet

Harm

jwil1
28-03-2008, 10:26 AM
This thread is six years old.

It is unlikely to be relevant due to its age; you may get more responses if you start a new thread.

FoxyMX
28-03-2008, 12:02 PM
It is not necessary to start a new thread but dijklarg is most unlikely to receive a response from Kiwi due to the thread's age.

Nomad
28-03-2008, 12:10 PM
You can search the internet .. cracks as they go .. should be different for each laptop .....

It depends on the design. If you have a IBM laptop, and you sent it back to the manufacturer they charge you for it and they replace a "chip", you can have a look via eBay and they may have one. This method may need some soldering skills ...

Sylar
28-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Sounds like a someone put a bios password