PDA

View Full Version : Linux

Greg S
10-07-2002, 04:40 AM
Hi. I'm finally going to do the big Linux thing, so I'm after a few opinions - which version is best?

Also, how big is the core system? As I'm on Jetstream 1000 I don't want to blow a month's bandwidth in one download.

Thx.

roofus
10-07-2002, 09:23 AM
To start off, you should use. Linux Mandrake, as it is said to be the easiest to learn and set up.

As for downloading. its a 640mb file. with another two cd's possible to download to make it run better with different apps.

Chris Wilson
10-07-2002, 10:00 AM
Where are you?
There are heeps of places selling linux CD's for enough $$$ to cover the media typicly $10/disk,
Check to see if your ISP has a server offering downloads of linux distributions, I dont know exactly what the rules with DSL are, but on cable, downloads from paradise servers do not get counted aaginst your quota. Whatever, i assume local data traffic counts less than international.
try debian.paradise.net.nz , Orcon.net.nz has a good selection of Linux distributions available for download too!

segfault
10-07-2002, 12:47 PM
Have a look at www.copyleft.co.nz for Red Hat 7.3 I wouldn't recommend Mandrake 8.2 now as it is outdated (The main desktop had gone onto a whole new series now (3.x) which isn't in Mandrake)

gian
10-07-2002, 01:28 PM
I would recommend Redhat 7.3, being a Redhat junkie of some years.
If you are planning on doing the GNU/Linux thing, I would recommend you read some of the content at http://www.gnu.org It helps you understand the origins of what is often called "Linux" (But is actually correctly called "GNU/Linux"). Linux is only the kernel, GNU is the operating system (eg. libc, init etc) so saying just one or the other is not correct...

Greg S
10-07-2002, 06:26 PM
Thanks very much for ALL responses this far. I've made a decision based on your help. It's great to see both objective, as well as subjective yet informative, opinions on this forum, for a change.

Chris Wilson
10-07-2002, 06:47 PM
One hopes you'll tell us how you got on.
I'm real interested to know what successes linux newbies have, and with what distribution(s) as i am but one cheap card from taking the plunge, myself (finally). Seeing i can't find the video card i thought i had in my scrap pile, i'm not finishing the machine that is to be my first linux box till later. Otherwise i'd be looking at the collection of linux disks i have here, and making that same decision now.

Graham L
10-07-2002, 06:55 PM
Well, before taking the plunge, Chris, read one of the document files on one of your collection. It's called "Hardware-HOWTO" (probably .html on the later distributions.) The disk is readable in Windows ...

Or look for it online --- http://dunedin.lug.net.nz/docs/ldp/ and go from there for the latest version. It says what hardware is known to work, and what is known not to work.

Chris Wilson
10-07-2002, 07:00 PM
Thankyou Graham,

That will be particually useful if i end up buying a card, which it looks like i might be forced to do.
I was working on the idea that if it was an older card it would be more likely to be supported.

Gorela
14-07-2002, 01:59 PM
I'm definitely in the Linux newbie class and have only tried Redhat 7.1 to 7.3 and Suse 6.4 and now 8.0. I have found that the Redhat versions appear to have a bigger hardware base than the Suse.

Also I was put off the Suse 6.4 early on when I found a book that gave an exploit specific to that version and the update mechanism was off putting. The latest Suse version is much friendlier, but still has problems with my SCSI card. I also like it due to the greater range of security related programs included with it.

Redhat is still a far easier install from a newbie (ie me) perspective, but I was a bit horrified that 7.3 has approx 80mb to patch a standard workstation set-up. Glad I haven't set it up as the server!

Graham L
14-07-2002, 02:21 PM
They are all fairly large (in their later versions) I think they all want about 1.5 Gb now. Slackware would probably be easiest to make a minimal installation with. But that would need a bit of experience: it wouldn't be a matter of clicking on a selection box.

RedHat is the "easiest to install" for me: I got CDs of RH on magazine covers (as well as a considerable range of others). It's simple enough for my limited abilities. I had a few troubles with 7.2 --- the source of the kernel wouldn't compile and it took a few tries to get it right --- that aside, no troubles, except sometimes the size.

I haven't seen Mandrake "free" CDs, so haven't tried it. I have Linux as a "grown-up" operating system to experiment with networking and software. I don't have it for "installing Linux".

Debian is respected, but it's really meant for people who want to take part in "developing" Linux.

I've got a couple of machines using an early release of Slackware. Both are small systems: one on a 40 MB disk because it was 1996, and that was the one I found on a magazine CD (from which I could copy the floppies on a friend's CD-equipped computer), one on a 300 MB because RH7.2 insisted on installing stuff I told it not to install, then complained that it was out of disk.