PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express Import Error

Raewyn
09-07-2002, 09:15 PM
Hi there. I can only import email folders from A-I and anything from J-Z I receive an "error importing" message. So I tried to copy the email folders to my HDD and they copied over fine. But when I open OE, all the folders from J-Z have nothing in them even though in Windows Explorer it tells me that there is 9.5MB in one of the folders. I backed up everything onto CD, reformatted my HDD, installed WinXP and restored all my folders I backed up. But it only restores some of the folders. Is there any fix for this or is there anything I can do to restore the folders? I also notice that when I copy a folder that is 9.5MB to my HDD and then open O.E. the folder changes its size to 59KB? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks heaps.

markOS X
09-07-2002, 09:44 PM
Raewyn,

Not sure if this is going to help, but its worth a go if you can't get anything else to work:

If you have a copy of MS Outlook (it comes as part of MS Office), try installing Outlook and importing the folders to Outlook.

Then try importing your new Outlook folders to Outlook Express.

Then uninstall Outlook.

Its a pretty rough way of doing it - but OE isn't the greatest at importing folders (among other things).

I used this method to import the best part of 120mb or so - although this was only in about 15 - 20 folders.
I'm running Windows XP Pro with Office 2000 and the latest Outlook Express - don't know if this trick will work with other versions of windows outlook or oe.

cheers,
markOS X

markOS X
09-07-2002, 09:49 PM
Raewyn,

Outlook Express (version 6) is able to directly import folders from Outlook without first exporting them to file.

I think this is where the error you describe is happening - OE may not like importing from a file.

hope this helps,
markOS X

Raewyn
09-07-2002, 10:53 PM
Thanks Mark. Unfortunately I have Microsoft Outlook 97 which doesn't import Outlook Express files. :-)

The importing function in Outlook Express was working well until it got to my folders starting with "J" onwards. *shrugs* It would import the folder but there would be errors in "moving the messages"?

Then when I open the folder in Outlook Express there would be "no messages to view". And I have my settings on "view all messages". I'll keep trying. There's just one folder that I REALLY need. Thanks again :-)