PDA

View Full Version : To: Susan B re Cardfile

Iris
09-07-2002, 05:35 PM
Hi Susan.

Went into Google and typed in "cardfile" Wow, what a lot.

Can I be cheeky and ask if you have a preference or suggestion for which one. Not too complicated.

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

Iris

Susan B
09-07-2002, 11:24 PM
You're not cheeky at all Iris. After all, this forum is where I found out about it. :-)

The one I use is AZZ Cardfile at this address (http://www2.omnitel.net/zdramys/azzcardfile/).

The first page tells you about the program and at the bottom of the page is the "downloads" link. When you open that page you can either download the newest version listed at the top, which is shareware, or you can scroll right down to the bottom of the page and get an old version, which is freeware.

With shareware you are supposed to register and purchase the program if you like it and want to keep using it. With freeware you don't have to pay.

It's really easy to use and on that downloads page are a lot of sample files created by other people which I found really interesting. I downloaded all the ones I liked the sound of and especially liked the "PC Tech Tips" and the "Tips" from Tipworld, of course! ;-)

merlin-nz
09-07-2002, 11:46 PM
Hi susan b and to Iris,
Thanx for that susan iris beat me to asking the question about cardfiles.
read that u used one and went straight to search and man o man heaps so came back and iris had all ready asked, must be getting slow :p:D
Been copying and pasting threads to notepad. A real pain when trying to find something u know u had saved.
This will save some time.

merlin-nz ;)

Iris
10-07-2002, 09:04 AM
Thanks Susan. Looks like a good one and easy. Easy is a very important word as far as I`m concerned.

Looks as tho` you helped merlinNZ too. Two for the price of one.

Have a good day. We have actually got some sunshine!!!!

:^O :^O :^O :^O :^O

Iris

Iris
10-07-2002, 05:35 PM
On the off chance you look in here again Susan, that programme is really good. Downloaded the freebie and have already got some filing done.

One little thing, downloaded the file about "tips" uses winzip but then I can`t seem to read it, Would you have any suggestions. Have tried viewer, notepad and wordpad but it`s just weird writing.

Iris

Susan B
10-07-2002, 05:44 PM
Glad you like the program Iris. :-)

The Tips file (and the other samples) are zipped up (compressed) for faster downloading and you need to unzip them.

Have you got the WinZip program or something similar? If you have, just unzip them with that into your Cardfile folder.

merlin-nz
10-07-2002, 05:55 PM
Hi yah susan,
Curious about which version are u using, have downloaded and using 3.0 something. And i like it.
It keeps asking me to register it, is your version older and do u just put up with the register box popping up now and then or did u register it.
I was under the impression it was Freeware but my mistake.:D
Don't want any other now i have used this version, and the missus wants her recipes on it.:_|

merlin-nz :)

Susan B
10-07-2002, 06:07 PM
Merlin, your Missus can have her very own Recipe cardfile while you have your Press F1 Tips cardfile so don't despair. ;-)

I have the most recent version and do intend to register and pay for it since there's no way I'm giving it up now. :D

The reason I haven't done so yet is because I got mine when the dollar was around US$0.40c and was hoping to get a more favourable exchange rate before doing so. It is almost at the US$0.50c mark now so I'll be coughing up very very soon - partly because I'm getting pretty fed up of those registration reminders but mostly because I think the guy deserves his money. It's a really neat little program.

merlin-nz
10-07-2002, 06:16 PM
Susan u are so right, it's a damn excellent wee program, don't know y never thought or heard of it before now.

But never the mind have to put up with the registration reminders for a bit, funds a bit tight at the mo, but yeah the guys/gals deserve to be paid for this wee gem.

merlin-nz :)

Iris
10-07-2002, 08:00 PM
Thanks for that. Have got winzip just wasn`t using it properly. Another thing I have learned.

Regards, Iris

J ZEP
10-07-2002, 08:53 PM
Thanks Iris - i too was going to ask susan about which one she used - that looks like just what i need - up till now i have just been saving as the page (on F1) or copy and pasting bits into a word doc of late, which was a bit better. Can't wait to get in and download it - i will end up using it for f1 tips mainly probably, but it looks like it will have a lot of other good uses too!! Thanks for the tip Susan - you have got many satisfied followers on this one by the looks of this posting!!! :-)

Neil McC
10-07-2002, 10:29 PM
Thanks Susan B and Iris,have installed the program,looks like what I've needed to save all the tips I get off F1,instead of saving the whole web page.Still learning!!One question.I've pasted some hints on my first page,can I carry on doing that on the same page or is it better to start another?And if on the same,does it only allow to fill what's on screen or start to have that moving bar on the side?Sorry--terminology!! Also if I delete some printing above other on the page,does it-the print below-move up to fill the gap,but that I can try!!And I could save all my emails in this too,by copying and pasting,eh!Wow,an organised method at last!

Neil McC
10-07-2002, 10:55 PM
Sorry,please ignore my previous post.Have tried those queries and found out for myself. A matter of the brain thinking ahead of actions,which is good most of the time!! Looks like a great program worth registering.Must have another play,and set up the F1 joke card!

Susan B
10-07-2002, 11:25 PM
Gee, look what I've started! :D

I've got one Cardfile for Press F1 which has individual cards for certain topics. For example I've got a card for modems, another for networking, others for Windows 98 tips, Win XP tips, building a new PC tips, etc etc just to give you an idea.

I copy and paste from threads/posts I'm interested in and delete the junk that inevitably comes across.

One tip for you all: when you copy then paste, go to Edit>Paste Special>Unformatted Text. I wish they had a shortcut icon for doing it but there isn't. That keeps it as tidy as it can be and you can select all the text in one card (Ctrl+a) and click on the "A10" icon to increase the font size. I find the default a little too small to read comfortably on screen.

Bryan D
11-07-2002, 12:19 AM
Susan, if you go to Tools/Options and click on the view tab you will be able to change the default font and size to whatever you want.

Pauline
11-07-2002, 12:31 PM
I too, have also put on Cardfile. It is good but what files I have made are getting stored into My Documents. Is there a better place to have them to go to?
thanks.
Pauline

Neil McC
11-07-2002, 02:59 PM
Sorry Susan B,two questions now I've figured out the basics.What is Paste special,and how do I do a backup save to My Documents?Please!! Thanks,Neil.

Iris
11-07-2002, 06:30 PM
Just goes to show.

And I thought I was being cheeky asking you which cardfile to use. Certainly got a good discussion going, and as usual Susan you`ve added some more "pearls of wisdom" over and above what you were originally asked for.

Must be time you won a years subscription to PC World at least.

Thanks once again for being so helpful. I know I certainly appreciate it

B-) B-) B-)

Iris

(and wouldn`t you know it, it`s raining once again in the Heart of Kiwifruit Land)

Susan B
11-07-2002, 06:40 PM
Pauline: if all of your documents (eg Word docs, etc) normally get stored in My Documents then that's fine.

If everything is stored in one place it makes it a lot easier to backup things instead of having to hunt around your hard drive for everything.

If you normally store your documents elsewhere you'll have to move your Cardfiles there and when you save one next, navigate to that folder and Cardfile will remember it.

Neil: Paste Special is used for when you want to control how the pasted text/object, etc is formatted. If you just do a plain paste Cardfile will try and keep the original formatting. Doing a Paste Special allows you to keep the Cardfile formatting, which I like.

Just have a play around and see what you prefer. It doesn't hurt to have a fiddle - that's how I learn how things work. ;-)

Bryan:Thanks for that tip. I tried it once and found that the whole Cardfile contents got changed to my chosen default and I lost all the formatting that I had previously applied. I think it's best to set up the default one wants when beginning a new Cardfile, before new cards are created.

Susan B
11-07-2002, 10:44 PM
> Sorry Susan B,two questions now I've figured out the
> basics.What is Paste special,and how do I do a backup
> save to My Documents?Please!! Thanks,Neil.

Sorry Neil, but I didn't have time to completely answer your questions. Had a big kitchen session this afternoon to fill up cake tins and hollow tummies.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about doing a backup save to My Documents but when you save your Cardfiles you have the option to save them wherever it suits you and it usually remembers that location next time.

In the Tools>Options menu you are able to specify that it also saves backup copies in case something happens to the original. I've got mine saved in the Cardfile program folder rather than My Documents for extra security in case My Documents goes poof! Just put a tick in the "Always create backup copies in..." and click on the icon to the right of the path box to navigate to the folder you want.

Donald M
11-07-2002, 11:02 PM
I have just downloaded the card file and it is great, already put in all the card file tips from this thread!

It will be a breeze now to keep track of all the good tips from Press F1, thanks heaps everyone.

Neil McC
12-07-2002, 07:23 PM
Thankyou Susan B,have set up the program to save backups to my documents,which I save to CDR every month after I've done my invoices.The strange thing is,most info I've transferred is in the backup files(set to save every 7 odd minutes).But there is still the odd file that hasn't made it there!One got there after I'd been (power) on/off the PC a couple of times!But I will persevere.I could always save the whole AZZ to cdr if need be anyhow.Thanks once again.Better go,one 2 yr old granddaughter heading our way for the weekend.Neil.

Sami
13-07-2002, 06:35 PM
I've been using version 2 of Cardfile for several years. Excellent little programme. I have three partitions and keep carfile in my data partition so that every time I back up, Cardfile is included. I'd hate to loose everything!

Vince
14-07-2002, 04:45 AM
I read this a couple of days ago and went and had a look at AZZ Card File! Wow, I have wished that I had something like it for decades. Thanks, Vince

Neil McC
14-07-2002, 11:21 PM
One thing I've found.To get the backup files to follow the azz saved files,re my earlier post of not seeing info I'd loaded into the program being actually saved in the backup files,I have to go File-Save a couple of times before closing the program.Then everything in the azz files is actually saved in the backups.Confused?Sorry.