PDA

View Full Version : Home Network stops working when Win98 comp restarts

Hervard
09-07-2002, 12:14 PM
I have two computers networked together at home, one using WinXP Pro, and the other Win98. The two computers can see each other just fine, and ICS works as well (ADSL JetStart). Both computers are using the same Ethernet card - RealTek of somesort. I think the Win98 computer doesn't have the *very* latest drivers installed for the card, though, because if it works, don't fix it, right? (and WinXP had driver updates for it through the Windows Update)

About a month ago, and since then, usually after the Win98 computer restarts, the network will not work; the two computers cannot communicate with each other. ICS won't work, neither comp can see each other, SharedFolders don't work (yes, both computers have files in the SharedFolders). If the XP comp is restarted while the 98 one stays on, it doesn't fix it. If both are shut down, XP (which, by the way, has the ADSL modem) starts up, and then 98, the network still won't work...and vice versa. The way to get it working is to have the XP machine do the Home Networking Wizard...though I have to do this twice, because the first time always fails, yet the second time will work fine with the same settings selected. And as soon as the Wizard finishes successfully, ICS starts working, the two computers can see each other - all without a restart.

It's easy to fix this, but I have to do this every day or two, and it just gets annoying. Is there a work around to this? Please help!

--
Hervard

wuppo
09-07-2002, 12:39 PM
Check the IP that is allocated to the Win98 machine. Given that you have failures every 'couple of days', I suspect the win98 machine is set to obtain an IP from the XP machine (XP supports DHCP server service when ICS is enabled).
When the win98 machine fails to work on the network, you may find it has a 'self allocated' IP, as it has failed to get one from the XP machine. The self allocated IP is most likely well outside the netmask for the XPs network. So the IP when the network is OK will be quite different from the IP that is self allocated.

The most robust way around it is to not use DHCP and manually allocate IP addresses.