PDA

View Full Version : no carrier

Don McA
08-07-2002, 09:43 PM
Doing a ground-up reinstall Win98 for a mate. HP Pavilion. Everything appears fine except modem. Multitech Sys MT5634ZPW. Drivers from Multitech installs modem OK. Diagnostics shows normal response (what do all those characters mean?) when dialling returns error 629 disconnected from the computer you dialled. Modem log shows "no carrier"
Any help appreciated.
regards Don

Elwin Way
08-07-2002, 10:04 PM
Here's a few suggestions:

1- make sure you have plugged the cable into the right socket
2- make sure there are no IRQ conflicts (probably not)
3- make sure you are use a proper modem cable
4- make sure that the phone is on! (may sound dumb it has happened..)

Don McA
08-07-2002, 10:10 PM
Thanks Elwin
Tried all available ports, IRQ's. Tried 2 cables, when you pickup an extension you can hear modem screech. Interestingly enough it makes no sound when dialling (M0 not set, modem vol set to full) Modem worked before reinstall OS.
Don

godfather
08-07-2002, 10:15 PM
looking at Google for answers gives:

This error can be caused by a number of different problems:

With all versions of Windows - Make sure the username and password you have entered for the DUNS connection is correct. Also make sure the phone number is correct. Remember that passwords are case sensitive, and since what you enter appears as ****, it's easy to enter an incorrect password.

Jim B
08-07-2002, 10:15 PM
Error 629 means Port disconnected by Remote Machine
Double click My Computer
Double click Dialup Networking
Right click on the conection icon and click on Properties
Click on Server Types
Make sure Logon to Network, NetBeui and IPX are all unticked.

Don McA
10-07-2002, 12:23 AM
Thanx for all your advice. Got it to work once by reducing maximum speed from 115 to 56 then it stopped again. This time it would not even dial.
Swapped it for a new modem and everythings honkey.
regards
Don

Elwin Way
10-07-2002, 12:34 AM
Hmm.. that reminds me of customer I had.

His winmodem got fried by lightning, so I replaced it with a brightcom winmodem. Buggered if I could get it to work. So I decided to test it in my own PC, to if it was the modem or not. Worked sweet as. So I put my modem in his to see if it was the motherboard. Worked sweet as. So I left it at that.

Interesting to note that a) both PC's were running Win98SE, b) both PCs were Compaqs and c)Mine was brand new and his was old.

Go figure...