PDA

View Full Version : Which CPU with which OS?

Jase1
08-07-2002, 04:15 PM
Hi

Just wondering which type of CPU processor and speed would you people recommend for a gaming computer and for internet surfing and with which Os? I need something that's not too expensive.

Thanks alot :-)

tweak\'e
08-07-2002, 04:44 PM
XP processor as fast as you can afford :) but you need to make the whole system match. a fast processor is a waste if the rest of the pc is not up to speed.

os?? i'm inclined to go for winXP but i would wait untill sp1 comes out if you can. other wise good old 98se still does the job ;-).

boom23
08-07-2002, 07:54 PM
AMD XP 1800+ would be the best cpu to get, if your budget is tight.

As for OS, hummm Win98SE, winME and winXP pro are good for gaming. But it depends on what OS you like. I personally like winxp pro, I've had no problems what soever with any apps or games I run, but it seems that xp has been giving other people a lot of problem in gaming.

XP has all the latest drivers and features as well as looks security. If you don't need all these then Win98SE would be the one you want. Don't ever go with xp home edition. it's crap full stop.

godfather
08-07-2002, 08:11 PM
> As for OS, hummm Win98SE, winME and winXP pro are
> good for gaming. But it depends on what OS you like.
> I personally like winxp pro, I've had no problems
> what soever with any apps or games I run, but it
> seems that xp has been giving other people a lot of
> problem in gaming.
>
> XP has all the latest drivers and features as well as
> looks security. If you don't need all these then
> Win98SE would be the one you want. Don't ever go
> with xp home edition. it's crap full stop.

Win XP Pro has support for a second processor for dual CPU motherboards, file encryption and security features, plus remote access designed for corporate lan situations.

Mostly these are as useful as a third nostril to the average user.

Check it out here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

So why are you convinced that XP Pro is OK but XP home is c**p??

boom23
08-07-2002, 08:37 PM
It's personal experience with xp home. And alot of people that I know of in real life and on the internet, most of them hate xp home. There are a lot of features that xp pro has and xp home hasn't. Xp home is meant for gaming but I disagree. Why don't you try it yourself. have xp pro and xp home running and compare them.

boom23
08-07-2002, 08:41 PM
Oh by the way, didn't Jase1 quote "gaming computer and internet surfing"

so why security? i take it as NTFS? and Dual processor? you're just gonna confuse Jase1 with that.

godfather
08-07-2002, 08:55 PM
It wasnt a reply to jase so much as a comment to you.

As the core of the OS is apparently the same, cannot help wondering what your reason is for making the statement, as XP Pro is more expensive. If you know of any core code differences would be interested to hear them, certainly nothing I have been able to pin down, but I do have an interest in that area but not for gaming (far too old)

I agree wholeheartedly that the security isnt needed, or dual processor. But as these are the main difference, for you to suggest that Pro should be used over Home versions seemed curious.

As it stands it appears it is based on your perceptions, and not some hard facts? Thats what I am trying to elicit, can you point jase and I to the facts.
It is possible that the maturity of the build of both operating systems could be different as well, unless fully patched.

Until the driver situation matures I am sure there will be problems, just as people had problems from 95 to 98, from 98 to ME etc.

godfather
08-07-2002, 08:57 PM
BTW the security is encryption, I understand XP Home handles NTFS or FAT32

The bold and underline on my post appears to be a bug in the forum, has formatted as a url, following the MS one..

boom23
08-07-2002, 09:21 PM
I have a lot heard alot of problem that people have been encountering with xp home. You can't do some stuff in home version as well as tweaking or optimising. For example gpedit is not included in xp home. And there are a lot more, sorry i just can't think of more. I'd rather stick with win98se if i was gonna go with xp home. Just a personally experience. But if you do a browse around the net, forums, etc. You'll find that xp pro is a lot better than xp home. And it's worth the upgrade.

Poppa John
08-07-2002, 09:54 PM
Goddie, with my lungs a third nostril would be a help sometimes. Poppa John ]:)

tweak\'e
08-07-2002, 11:19 PM
>I have a lot heard alot of problem that people have been encountering with xp home

thats proberly because of the large % of people who have XPhome compared to XPpro and the people useing XPpro tend to be pro's.

both os are basicly the same. home just as a few bits missing.

Elwin Way
08-07-2002, 11:37 PM
>both os are basicly the same. home just as a few bits missing.

...like the toolkit, the remote control, hole for the second turbo, jack, spare tyre, adjustable suspension, steering wheel, and the rear vision mirror.

:^O

tweak\'e
08-07-2002, 11:45 PM
lmao :)

-=JM=-
08-07-2002, 11:50 PM
Mostly these are as useful as a third nostril to the average user.

*runs off to purchase a third nostril*

boom23
09-07-2002, 01:58 AM
When I meant problem I meant configurating problem related not incompatibility problem. xp pro and xp home have the same kernel and codes. I was meant to say that xp home doesn't have the features that xp pro does, and those features are very useful.

tweak\'e
09-07-2002, 10:56 AM
> When I meant problem I meant configurating problem
> related not incompatibility problem. xp pro and xp
> home have the same kernel and codes. I was meant to
> say that xp home doesn't have the features that xp
> pro does, and those features are very useful.

and how many joebloggs uses would actually know how to use those extras? how many releise they are even there?

nzporscheboy
09-07-2002, 12:18 PM
I would go for win98SE...but that's personal choice. If you do go for it, make sure that you use windows update. In particular the update that slows down your shutdown by 2 seconds so that the HDD has time to write data in it's cache to the actual disk, so you dont lose data. This is an issue cause of the speed of which your computer would shut down. Even a duron 800 can have this issue, let alone an XP athlon!

Brendon ;/

Jase1
09-07-2002, 11:44 PM
Thanks alot guys but I think I will go for a Win98Se with PIII 750...or Athlon XP1800

Well...any way thanks alot :-)

vk_dre
10-07-2002, 12:44 AM
doesn't winxp sp1 have some tool in it that lets ms moniter one's activities and identify wot one is running on their desktop when one gets access to their (microsoft's) sites. isn't this a total breach of privacy or something?

cheers,
v.K----:D

boom23
10-07-2002, 04:23 AM
How many? more than you think.