PDA

View Full Version : PDA connected to Vodafone

jennie18
08-07-2002, 10:49 AM
Dear F1,

After reading the last issue of your magazine, I went and bought 2 Sony Clie for my company. I was travelling in Hong Kong and the shop assistant told me they were the latest model.

I came back and I cannot download my e-mail. I called Vodafone, they told me to go to their office and all they did was to give me a different number to lock onto their network - 093530101 instead of the toll free number.

I called Sony and they said they do not have the latest model yet and pass me to Australia. Australia help desk said they do not service PDA bought elsewhere.

I e-mail Sony Asia and they told me to download "Avantgo" program, I did.

I can log on to the network but it disconnect after a minute. I may have set up the phone or the PDA wrong. Is there any instruction of setting up a PDA for connecting to the internet for downloading my e-mail?

I have gone through a lot of enquiries and I am desperate, can somebody help?

Thank you
Jennie

godfather
08-07-2002, 01:27 PM
OK, you need to tell people what you are trying to do.
"trying to collect email" is too vague.
Are you trying to collect web mail (such as that from hotmail or yahoo) or POP3 mail (such as that fron ihug or clear or xtra etc)

I used to have a palm, similar OS to the Sony, and had no trouble collecting POP3 mail.
I certainly would not have wanted to collect web mail due to the low speed of the connection via GSM and the resultant cost.

Sounds like you are getting into the network OK, so you have not configured the account correctly in all probability.

Not sure that Vodaphone can help you with that....

Explain more and someone may be able to help

robo
08-07-2002, 05:43 PM
The Stylus Squad are the ubergeeks of the PDA world. I live in awe of them. They are part of Vodafone. You could try them, they have FAQs and how to's and stuff.

robo.

John H
08-07-2002, 08:57 PM
You need to provide more information to assist us to help you. For example:
1. Are you connecting via a cellphone?
2. If so, do you have data enabled by Vodafone on your account?
3. Are you connecting via infrared, modem, or cable?

I think Sony PDAs use the PalmOS, and if so, the instructions below may help you if you are connecting via a cellphone and Ir (not sure how the formatting of these instructions will show up here). The instructions are for PalmOS, Nokia 6210, and an Ir connection. If you are using some other method, please let us know.

By the way, using AvantGo will possibly make things more complicated for you. Try and download something straightforward like Eudora for PalmOS, and it will be much simpler.

I am also a bit puzzled by Vodafone's advice to log onto their network - I connect through my internet service provider (ISP) to download my email onto my PDA.

Finally (before the instructions) if you are using a cellphone, you may not have the latest drivers installed. It may be worth checking that out on the website for the manufacturer of your cellphone. Just a thought...

---------------------------------------------------
Connecting your Palm to Nokia 6210:

Palm Models Supported: All Palm-OS based Handhelds (except Palm IIIe)
Data Rate: 38.4kbps (Subjected to Network Capabilities)
Mode of transmission: Infrared
Minimum Requirement: Palm OS 3.3 with Enhanced Infrared upgrade (later versions of PalmOS have this upgrade built in)

Palm Configuration:
1. Palm Modem Configuration
Tap the pull-down menu on the top right-hand corner and select System
Tap on the Prefs button
Tap on the drop-down menu on the top right hand corner and select 'Connection'
Fill up the required field including naming your connection, which in this case is named Nokia 6210 and select IrCOMM to Modem as the connection method.
Tap 'Details' and set speed to 38,600 bps and Flow Ctl to Automatic and tap 'OK'.
Tap 'OK' to save

2. Palm dial-up connection configuration
Select 'Network' from the drop-down menu on the top right-hand corner
Tap the menu button in the lower left corner of the graffiti area and tap 'New'
Rename the service to something other than the default 'Untitled'
Enter your User Hame
If you prefer prompting for password upon connection leave password setting as '-Prompt-' else tap on '-Prompt-' to assign password
Select the connection that you have just created for your mobile phone
Enter your ISP's dial-up number
Tap 'Details' and enter further settings required by your ISP

You have just finished the configuration of your Palm for dial-up connection, simply activate the Infrared reception on your Nokia phone and you can dial-up thru your Nokia Phone via Infrared.
-------------------------------------

Hope that helps - if not, give us some more info please.

John