PDA

View Full Version : Its Drafty Attached-Non Attached Spread sheet

Grandad J
07-07-2002, 06:37 PM
Greetings to the Wise

(1) I have recently tried to attach a spread sheet to an Email I sent to a Trustee Company who tell me that they were unable to open it .
On sending there was no indication that it would not get to it's destination

(2) To endeavor to see what was wrong I tried to send a spread sheet to my alias Email address.On pressing the send button a message came up saying that it had been removed due to the possibility of the sheet containing A "virus"

(3) On checking that alias Email address I found that the attachment had arrived and I was able to open it .

(4) Is there an explanation for this inconsistency?

Kind Regards To The WISE

Grandad J ?:|

Heather P
07-07-2002, 07:21 PM
There could be 2 reasons for their inability to open it.

1. There is a virus in it
2. They don't have compatible software to open it.

If you don't already run anti-virus software, or it hasn't recently had it's virus definitions updated do it now!!

If that's OK find out what spreadsheet software they use and see if you are actually sending them something they can read.

mikebartnz
07-07-2002, 09:30 PM
Most Office programs can save a file in HTML format which can then be read by anyone. I wish more people would use this option. Give that a try.

Grandad J
08-07-2002, 12:25 PM
Greetings To Heather P & Mike

I will try the HTML to see how it goes .I have Nortons Virus check which "Auto Protects And is updated weekly I run scandisk normal & defrag monthly . I also do a thorough Defrag on quarterly basis.

Thankyou both for your time and advice

Grandad J :D

honeylaser
08-07-2002, 03:03 PM
It may be that the excel spreadsheet contains macros.. some virus scanners have a serious problem with them (and for good reason). You might want to disable any in the sheet.

Tools> Macro> Macros

and delete any that may be in there.

Graham L
08-07-2002, 04:13 PM
Whoever answered you at the Trust company probably just works there. Their IT people may have set their filters to reject anything containing attachments.

I noticed today that the letters page of the Listener says emails with attachments will not be read. (I suppose that the only useful attachments would be cash, and it doesn't work very well). ]:)

Heather P
08-07-2002, 07:27 PM
I note there are assumptions in the reply. "Excel", "Office". Although most spreadsheets are created in the above there are other spreadsheet programs - Lotus 123 (if it's still around) and MS Works spring to mind.

Check that the people you are sending to have not only the same program but also the same version. Some programs are backward compatible, very few are forward compatible (ie if you create it in Excel 95 Excel 2000 should be able to read it but it may not work the other way)

Grandad J
10-07-2002, 02:07 PM
Hi to the wise ones

Thank you for your interest. The spread sheet is (version 4 for Windows 95) My op.syst is 98 se.

Grandad J

Heather P
10-07-2002, 06:31 PM
Hi Grandad,

You've stated the version of your software but not the software name - Excel? Works?

If it is Excel it is likely that the Trustees are using a later version (Excel 2000 is version 9, 2002 presumably version 10).

Although Excel should in theory be backwardly compatible it is possible that they would need to install the convertors off the Office disk to read it.

In theory Excel should pop up with a message saying it needs the convertors and that one needs to insert the Office disk to install them. This may fall into the too hard basket for the user who is attempting to open it.

Write to them again with the attachment stating which program and version the file was created in (eg "This document was created in Excel v4") and see how you get on.

Heather

segfault
10-07-2002, 07:03 PM
> Most Office programs can save a file in HTML format
> which can then be read by anyone. I wish more people
> would use this option. Give that a try.

I agree. I shouldn't have to buy an overpriced office suite from a monopolistic company just so I can read the files that people send me. (Although their HTML output is pretty bad too).

Heather P
10-07-2002, 07:17 PM
Actually you don't have to buy an overpriced program to read files that people send you. Even Microsoft provide free readers for their programs. But probably not for version 4 so it doesn't help the current problem.

grandad w
12-07-2002, 12:43 PM
To the Wise Ones

It is Microsoft Works 4 that came with the computer as A Microsoft works Suite when I purchased it

Thanks all for your interest and advice

Grandad W/J :D :D

godfather
12-07-2002, 01:09 PM
Microsoft works v 4 files may not be easily read by others and its unlikely any businesses will have Works installed as they will usually have Office.

Even the latest version of Excel will only allow saving as version 2 of Works, unsure what it will actually read.

You can never assume that others are running your versions of software, apart from the "international assumption" that everyone can read version 6/97 of word for which a free viewer (as above) is available.

Heather P
12-07-2002, 01:13 PM
Ahhhh..

OK, write to the Trustee company asking if they can open it. I don't know when Works 4 came out but if they are using say, Microsoft Excel, and a version that came out AFTER Works 4 then they may need to install convertors off the Office disk.

Excel 2000 will open Works 4, don't know about earlier versions.

Failing that, open your spreadsheet and save it in a different format. Excel will read csv, htm and html.

Heather