PDA

View Full Version : Annoying URL, PLEASE help :(

andrew
07-07-2002, 04:52 PM
I have posted this before, but it is driving me insane so I'm posting it again.

I have a Dell C800 with Windows XP Pro.

There is a non-tasteful URL that refuses to leave, it appears in my URL bar in Internet Explorer 6. If I try to create a new shortcut or a new anything it comes up like it was a previously entered address.

I have never been to this URL. but I have a friend who says that it must have been entered at some stage by somebody to be doing this.

I thought it might have been spyware or something that came with a program I installed, so I ran Ad-aware, it said it found some dodgy stuff, and it got rid of it. Hooray you might think. I restarted and it was still gone, but sure enough it come back a few hours later.

It is not in my history folder. Clearing my history, cookies, temporary internet files and temp folder does nothing.

I have looked through my registry about eight times and can find no trace of it. I have searched for parts of and all of the URL but can find no mention of it. Anywhere.

I thought it might be some program that is starts every time I boot, but it is not in

[hkey_local_machine/software/microsoft/windows/current version/run]

i type msconfig at the 'run' prompt on the start menu. and the only thing that could possibly be dodgy on the 'startup' tab is this -

RUNDLL32 - RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize

If anybody knows what this is, and if it is legit, could they let me know.

I press Ctrl+Alt+Del and looked through my processes, couldn't find anything dodgy-looking.

I may be looking in all the wrong places, I am pretty noobish at doing this kinda thing. If anybody has any idea as to how I can get rid of it could they post it please

I don't want to have to reinstall Windows, but at the moment that's all I can think of as to how to get rid of it.

Any help GREATLY appreciated.

tweak\'e
07-07-2002, 05:01 PM
firstly whats the url? this can give an idea on who/what it is.

check that you have the latest adaware and the latest refernce file. run it again and post what it finds.

RUNDLL32 - RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
is part of nvida drivers for your video card.

make sure you have all the windows updates.

clean out any temp files.

its either part of a program you have installed or its from a web page you go to.

Chris Wilson
07-07-2002, 06:21 PM
Best way to help, is to give links so people can help themselves!

To find out about what the stuff in your start up thingy really do go here (http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm)

After your last post i had a quick look at the site your browser is forced to start at, i can see why the novelty has long worn thin, and i am not in the least surprised that these people use trojans as a marketing tool.

BTW, it seems another good reason for using Opera as a browser, is to get amunity from these friendly marketing tools aka trojans

Billy T
07-07-2002, 06:23 PM
I don't know much about this sort of problem, but mightn't Adaware help?

I would also delete all index.dat and internet cache files manually. Refer to my recent posts in the "deleting Index.Dat" FAQ discussion to see how many places your problem could be hiding, or alternatively, install "HistoryKill".

I use the latter on one computer I have and I can guarantee that nothing ever reappears in that URL bar, not even the URLs that I hope and pray I can recover! You have to pay for it but it is cheap and worth the price.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Susan B
07-07-2002, 09:09 PM
I'm not familiar with Win XP but you could try doing this:

Go to Start>Run, and type Regedit

Navigate to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel

If the subkey called 'Control Panel' is indeed there, right-click it and choose Delete from the context menu.

Close Regedit, close Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.

Go to Control Panel>Internet Options and clear your Temporary Internet files.

Click on Settings>Show Files and delete your cookies.

Go to the 'Programs' tab and click 'Reset Web Settings'.

Now open Internet Explorer and navigate to your favourite Start Page whilst online then go to Internet Options>General tab and click 'Use current'.

After all that close everything down and reboot to see if that works.

Post back the results.

X X X X (four fingers crossed)

Jim B
08-07-2002, 02:00 AM
This site might be of some use.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/hijacked.html

andrew
09-07-2002, 11:11 PM
Thanks everybody for your ideas, the night is young so I'm gonna start trying your ideas. Thanks again, and I'll post any success I may have.

andrew