PDA

View Full Version : OpenOffice1.0 Problems

Dan201
07-07-2002, 12:17 AM
Hi,
I have used OpenOffice since build 614, no problems there. I got my July issue of PC World, and uninstalled build 614 of OpenOffice and installed version 1 of OpenOffice.

Try to run it, yet Windows XP always gave me an error, in ModName soffice.exe, AppName soffice.exe, right when I started the program.

And then today, I started up my computer, logged in (multiple users), and then I got an error from OpenOffice telling me that the install is corrupt and that I should repair it, OK.

I went to Start>All Programs>OpenOffice.org 1.0>OpenOffice.org 1.0 Setup, and it cannot find the script file C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 1.0\program\setup.inf, which isn't there. And, now I can't remove it, repair it, modify it, or even reinstall using the install file off the PC World CD (tells me it is already installed, and that I need to uninstall it to reinstall it).

Can anyone help me?

Also, isn't OpenOffice.org written in Java? PC World says it is written in C++, however OpenOffice is based off the StarOffice source code, which is written in Java.

E.ric
07-07-2002, 12:39 AM
My install (new) on Windows 98 SE goes great,

Dan201
07-07-2002, 03:20 PM
When I installed it, setup.exe crashed, which is the reason why nothing worked.

To get everything working again, I went to C:\Documents and Settings\me\Application Data and deleted sversion.ini. Ran setup with compatibility mode set to Windows 95, installed it, and then uninstalled it with no problems.

I have multiple users, so here is how you set it up for multiple users if you have it setup. Extract the contents of the zip file to some folder (I extracted it to C:\OOffice), open Command Prompt and type C:\OOffice\install\setup /net. Hit <ENTER> and install it. For each user that requires OpenOffice, log in to their accounts, (or Run As...), and run the setup.exe where OpenOffice was installed. Choose Workstation Install, and then create a new directory for those files (I created it under the \OpenOffice.org 1.0\username). It will set it up for that user. Got that from the OpenOffice.org site.

No problems yet!

mejobloggs
07-07-2002, 05:00 PM
I have XP Pro, but cant afford Microsoft Office. Should I use this instead?

I want something that will run with as little problems as possible, like none. But thats impossible i guess.

nzStan
07-07-2002, 05:57 PM
I guess we can't promise it will be an easy installation - heck that's nearly true with any software application.

But there are thousands of OpenOffice users out there and they have documented these problems and how to overcome it. Just make sure you check at the OpenOffice.org FAQ and communities sites.