PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to all those who helped with my Website!

Erin Salmon
06-07-2002, 11:16 PM
Hi,

Just like to say thanks to everyone who gave me a hand with my ASP, Database, SQL etc problems with building my website.

It is now fully operational and proving to be a great success.

Thankyou all.

Erin

Susan B
07-07-2002, 11:32 AM
You're welcome.

Oh sorry, I didn't actually help, did I? :D

OK I'll quit the leg pulling - just give us the link so we can pick holes in it. It's OK to advertise if you're asked to.... ;-)

tweak\'e
07-07-2002, 12:22 PM
cool site dude (http://www.unleash.co.nz/)

however this got up my nose-

Warranties cover all hardware for the time specified from the date of deposit of funds. For example, if you pay for a system on the first of June 2002, you will be able to claim a 12 months RTB warranty on that system's hardware up to but not including the first of June 2003

sorry dude but warranty is from when cust buys/gets the product.

also why dosn't any buisness pc have a zip drive for backups?

would someone buy a pc from nayland.school.nz ;-)

Susan B
07-07-2002, 02:04 PM
> would someone buy a pc from nayland.school.nz ;-)

tweak'e, I was only kidding when I said we would pick holes in Erin's site. Don't you think that's a bit below the belt? A "wink" doesn't soften the blow that much. :-(

Heather P
07-07-2002, 03:08 PM
Hi Erin,

Good to see it working. One little point - white on black, although it looks cool, is hard to read. On pages such as privacy policy where there is a large amount of text can you use more "white space" (or in your case more "black space")?

Break the sentences up into more paragraphs or use lists and bullet points.

I like the custom build system.
Heather

Erin Salmon
07-07-2002, 03:31 PM
Hi,

So far, there are two errors known in terms of the page functionality. First, there are a couple of script errors on the main page, I have known of these for a while, but haven't got around to fixing them, it's just a missing semicolon or something.

Second, yes, white on black is harder to read than black on white, and I'm experimenting to see how many people complain. Of the last 250 visitors to the site, there were 2 people who said it was hard to read.

Personally, I think the links on the left are hardder to read than the text itself, but heather has a point about breaking up the larger blocks of text, I'll do that.

Sorry Tweak'e, I buy parts on a case by case basis, and the date of deposit of funds is to be sure I still have warranty on the parts. It gives me about 2 days breathing space at the end of 12 months! However, although it's not stated, I have fixed PCs up after the warranty has expired anyway, so don't sweat too much :)

What do you think is harder to read, red on black or blue on black? (talking about the two colours I'm currently using). Are the sub-titles or links harder to read?

Anything else?

Picking holes is fine, and yes tweak'e, in the three weeks of operation, more than a dozen people have bought computers from nayland.school.nz.

Obviously they are not put off by the generous offer of free hosting, after all, it does keep prices down!

:)

Erin

tweak\'e
07-07-2002, 03:38 PM
> > would someone buy a pc from
> nayland.school.nz ;-)
>
> tweak'e, I was only kidding when I said we would pick
> holes in Erin's site. Don't you think that's a bit
> below the belt? A "wink" doesn't soften the blow that
> much. :-(

i was only kidding about the school bit HINT HINT :O

however some customers will be put off when they see "nayland.school.nz" pop up on their screen. if at all possiable make someway of hiding this, or put somewhere that it is being kindly hosted by.......

tweak\'e
07-07-2002, 03:45 PM
> Sorry Tweak'e, I buy parts on a case by case basis,
> and the date of deposit of funds is to be sure I
> still have warranty on the parts. It gives me about
> 2 days breathing space at the end of 12 months!
> However, although it's not stated, I have fixed PCs
> up after the warranty has expired anyway, so don't
> sweat too much :)

er missed the point. cust warranty is when they get the pc not before. all you have to say is there is a 12 month warranty. i would also ad that various parts are covered under manafactures warranty as well. eg 3 years on monitors.

Erin Salmon
07-07-2002, 04:03 PM
Hi,

Tweak'e, if you want to get technical about the warranty...

A.) The warranty is explicity stated to be 12 months from date of deposit of funds. That would stand up in a court of law...and...

B.) It did happen once, and I fixed the guy's PC anyway - He was a week over warranty, and the fan failed on his Video Card.

So don't let it bother you.

I have fixed the two errors, and am uploading the modified version.

Zip Drives are old, slow and WAY too small. The systems you see on the site are based on what people want. There is a CD-RW in the advanced system, and you can always add one to either of the others. However, very few people have request CD-RW drives with Business Systems, so I only include them in the top model.

Erin

tweak\'e
07-07-2002, 04:10 PM
> A.) The warranty is explicity stated to be 12 months
> from date of deposit of funds. That would stand up
> in a court of law...and...
>
> B.) It did happen once, and I fixed the guy's PC
> anyway - He was a week over warranty, and the fan
> failed on his Video Card.

so why bother with the "from date of deposit of funds"? it just seems werid.

Erin Salmon
07-07-2002, 04:26 PM
Hi,

Well, supposing they wrote off $1500 worth of hardware immediately outside their warranty, I wouldn't be quite as keen to replace it. Obviously the chances of that are low, but that's why the clause is there. Just in case...

Would you prefer the page to state "360 days warranty"?

That's essentially what it comes to. Or rather: "360 days warranty, plus a bit extra if Erin is in a good mood and you ask nicely,"

However, I don't want to offer to replace something if it's going to drag me out of business, that's not cool at all.

So long as customers know and understand what they are getting, that's OK.

Erin

Susan B
07-07-2002, 04:47 PM
> i was only kidding about the school bit HINT HINT

Good, I hope so. I didn't want to believe that you were trying to help to put people off...

> however some customers will be put off when they see
> "nayland.school.nz" pop up on their screen. if at all
> possiable make someway of hiding this, or put
> somewhere that it is being kindly hosted by.......

This probably isn't strictly necessary, because try as I might I can't see "nayland.school.nz" anywhere. I've been all over Erin's site and opened it a dozen times to see if it flashes up somewhere, but nope.

Erin probably thinks he's had hundreds of visitors by now. :D

tweak\'e
07-07-2002, 04:48 PM
missed the bus ;-)

covered by 12month warranty is fine. its just you cant say the warranty starts when the cust dosn't yet have the product.

if you drop the "from date of deposit of funds" it makes it sound so much better without degrading any rights/responsibilities from you or the customer.

Erin Salmon
07-07-2002, 05:21 PM
Hi,

Tweak'e saw the nayland.school.nz address when he saw the error. I have patched it, so you'll never see it again, unless it pops up in the status bar, but I don't think it does.

Tweak'e, you still don't understand. It is there to draw the line of the closure of warranties somewhere that I am able to honour the warranty.

Read that, if you still think I've missed the bus, read it again, then read the last 10 posts, and THEN ask me about it again...

Trust me, it does have a purpose. Go and read microsoft's EULA, and see how many pointless pages (let along sentences) are in that.

Erin

Bryan D
07-07-2002, 05:25 PM
Erin,

Zip drives are the standard form of backup in my business. They are fast and reliable. No-one really wants to bother with CDRW because they are slower and so easily damaged. I am talking about moving data off site here. It is easy to backup your files to another computer (assuming it is secure) however some of us take work home and a zip is an ideal way of moving that data. (Especially data from the server.)

Think you should consider them as part of a business machine.

Site looks great by the way!!!

Greg S
07-07-2002, 06:00 PM
> its just you
> cant say the warranty starts when the cust dosn't yet
> have the product.

Actually he can say whatever he likes - even to the point of "bugger-all warranty whatsoever". Of course the usual Fair Trading and Consumers' Guarantee acts always apply.

Heather P
07-07-2002, 06:08 PM
Erin,

Like a great many other people I tend to be a skim reader on the web. Privacy Policies and the like don't get read in full detail (unless I'm particuarly interested) - just a skim through to see if anything stands out.

Skimming white on black is hard it goes a bit blurry as you rapidly scroll down. Thus the suggestion to break it up a bit.

See what you mean about the red links but it's OK. Blue - as in the welcome - might be a bit easier on the eye but then you'd need to change the welcome as it's not a link. Decisions, decisions...

Erin Salmon
07-07-2002, 06:23 PM
Hi,

True, true, Zip drives have advantages, but like I say, nobody has asked for one as yet, so I'm not including them in my machines. If somebody does want one, it's as easy as saying "Can I have a zip drive please". However, it stands to reason that if customers don't want zip drives, trying to sell them one is asking for trouble!

Still, point taken, I can easily order them if someone wants one.

Erin