PDA

View Full Version : alternative browser

merlin-nz
06-07-2002, 02:47 PM
Hi there people,
I'm fairly upset with Mr Gates and his Windows, so I downloaded a copy of Eudora 5.1. And I'm pleased to say very impressed. (Thanks Tweake's )
Was wondering now, do I now delete the "Outlook Express 5.5" I had before or do I leave it.

It seems pointless leaving it but then I'm grandfather and the old grey matter is getting a bit thin.

I'm also interested in doing away with Windows Internet Explorer Browser and installing Opera. Any thoughs??
Any info on how to go about this is apprecated.

cheers merlin-nz ;-) :-)

mark c
06-07-2002, 02:56 PM
>> I'm also interested in doing away with Windows
> Internet Explorer Browser and installing Opera. Any
> thoughs??

I have a similar dispostion to the demons of redmond and have been using Opera 6.01 for about six months and totally recommend it. It's faster (tried in trials with IE 6), easy to clean out temps, cookies, history, has buyilt in email facility and doesn't write to the Windows index.dats. Being a stingy coot I use the free version and even enjoy the ads!

tweak\'e
06-07-2002, 03:13 PM
no problem dude :)

you can get rid of OE, but keep IE. this is because opera dosn't display some pages correctly(there is an active X plugin that may help) and it sometimes throws a hissy fit at some java. also microsoft sites will not work correctly and u can't do windows updates through opera.

mark c
06-07-2002, 03:29 PM
I use IE for windows updates. Never had any probs. on sites (that I have recognized as such.)

Elwin Way
06-07-2002, 03:29 PM
> also microsoft sites will not work correctly and u can't do windows
> updates through opera.

Since I do neither, that's not a problem for me.

Opera 4 months and zero problems.
:)

merlin-nz
06-07-2002, 04:57 PM
Hi Yah mark,
Yeah Opera is great, only thing I can see at this early stage is the screen is a little short, :D meaning a lot of stuff at the top.:D
But hey still better than Mr Gates;)

cheers merlin-nz

merlin-nz
06-07-2002, 05:04 PM
Thanx tweak'e,
sorry I missed spelled ya name earlier,
But Opera is great so far, I'll keep OE for a spell to be sure, :D
And keep IE for the reasons you stated.
Thanxs again that u put the demons to rest.

cheers merlin-nz ;-)

Dolby Digital
06-07-2002, 05:07 PM
Next it will be an alternative operating system! ;0)

-=JM=-
06-07-2002, 05:28 PM
Also try Mozilla (http://www.mozilla.org)

Jester
06-07-2002, 05:59 PM
I am also playing with Opera - off the July PCWorld disk. Posting this using it in fact.

In IE I have all the toolbars and icons at the top set to their smallest setting so I can see a larger screen. Opera's advert pane is a pain. Even with minimal icons, no extra toolbars and no text labels it still takes up too much screen real estate for me.

I know I can buy it to remove the adverts, but is there another way around it or any other suggestion?

J
:D

-=JM=-
06-07-2002, 08:50 PM
>I know I can buy it to remove the adverts, but is there another way >around it or any other suggestion?

Jester, as this forum is concerned. The only way to remove the advert is to purchase the license from Opera and get the registration key.

Jester
06-07-2002, 09:16 PM
Yes JM, quite true, I wasn't condoning cracked versions, sorry if it came out that way :8} Just wondering whether there was an Ad-Free version available. Since my earlier post I have looked on the Opera site see that there isn't :( - maybe one day they will make it Ad-Free so it becomes a force to be reckoned with, I quite like it but can't justify USD 39.00.

Thanks

J

segfault
06-07-2002, 09:26 PM
Under Windows I used Opera for ages. Its a great browser. But now I prefer Mozilla - Its standards based not like IE. IE is Microsofts interpretation of what HTML should be like (Don't you just hate those sites "Designed for IE!" :-/) Anyway, before I go babbling on, Mozilla might be a bit slow at loading (Itself, not rendering pages) but no ads, and best of all, it has tabs!

-=JM=-
06-07-2002, 10:38 PM
I also recommend CrazyBrowser (http://www.crazybrowser.com) which is a free front end for IE. So all pages should display the same as in IE.

The major bonus is that it allows browser tabs and popup removal.

-=JM=-
06-07-2002, 11:01 PM
Just realised something with Opera.

There is a free LEGAL way to not remove but hide the advert.

Opera has a built in Full Screen mode. Just hit F11 when inside a browser window. ;)

merlin-nz
07-07-2002, 12:06 AM
Thanxs JM havn't got around to reading all the help files yet :D
F11 is the answer, but y put on ads if there is a way round them.?:|

cheers merlin-nz ;-)

-=JM=-
07-07-2002, 12:46 AM
well full screen can be annoying with the lack of buttons and the like.

Smurf
07-07-2002, 01:19 AM
Merlin
From one grandad to another...go for Opera.....it is stable..fast and very easy on the eye. I have had it for about a month now and find it faultless (yep I know that sounds strong..but it really is). I also run Eudora-sponsored version and find that heaps better than Outlook Express or Microsoft Outlook.

Smurf

Chris Wilson
07-07-2002, 02:26 PM
And of course the perk you gave your self is that Viri that targets outlooks weaknesses wont touch you, seeing your email client is a differant species

Cool ey?

Rod ger
07-07-2002, 05:55 PM
Thought I'd add my bit, I got rid of IE around version 5, it just stuffed up so much I used 98lite(free version) to take it out of the system.This gave an appreciable boost to the system speed. Since then I have settled on Opera as my browser which is pretty quick as well. As for ads, I use Agnitum Outpost Firewall which does the job pretty well.

Baldy
07-07-2002, 11:22 PM
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah