PDA

View Full Version : Two OS's on one computer.

JamesStewart
06-07-2002, 02:30 PM
Hello. I have a 40Gb (i think) hard drive that has been partitioned into 3 drives (C, D and E). We are running Windows XP Pro. and a lot of my games are stuffing up and mucking me around. Is it possible to buy another hard drive, install in into my case and run Windows ME off it? So, still have the first drive with XP. And is it possible to tell the BIOS which drive to start up from.. each time you load the computer? Just wondering, trying to fix my ever lasting problems with XP.

Thanks

James

spielburg
06-07-2002, 02:54 PM
Hello to you too. :)

Yeah, you can whack in another hard disk if you want to and put Windows Me on it, but usually the default OS (XP Pro, in your case) has to be on the C: Drive. Or you could just put Me on a partition. Or even the same drive, but I wouldn't recommend it.

:)
PS: You could try running your games in 'Compatability mode"

Sam H
06-07-2002, 02:56 PM
Hi there, have a look at this FAQ Multi booting a windows system (http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=21527).

Hope this helps.
Regards
Sam

Terry Porritt
06-07-2002, 04:09 PM
I keep pushing hard drive caddies. Among other uses, you can put your alternative OS on a plug-in hard drive, and with modern BIOS's that auto detects the hard drive it's simple to change over. The only proviso is switching the power off before swapping drives.

nzporscheboy
06-07-2002, 04:21 PM
My 39 cents worth (increased from 18 due to inflation) is that you would be better off using Win98SE for games rather than ME - ME is well.....the most hated OS out i think.

Brendon ;/

Merlin
06-07-2002, 06:53 PM
It is possible to install a Microsoft Operating system on a primary bootable partition on a second hard drive that is set as either primary slave, secondary master or secondary slave.

Booting to operating systems installed on separate primary bootable partitions is an alternative to what is described in the FAQ referred to.

Booting to operating systems installed on separate primary bootable partitions has many advantages over what is described in the FAQ.
These include increased security access depending on the boot manager used, ease of removing an operating system when no longer required, less chance of corruption since operating systems (including boot files) are installed on separate parititions and ease of access to application software that may be used by several operating systems.

Disadvantages include having to learn how hard disks are partitioned, learning to use different software and learning the limitations of MS Operating systems.

And before anyone opens their mouth and says that the above is easy or not or is the same as the FAQ referred to, learn the difference between boot and system files and upon what partition they are installed as well as the inherent limitations of MS operating systems.
All the answers are in the MS knowledgebase - "boot partition 1024 cylinders", "boot partition" and "system partition".

Stumped Badly
06-07-2002, 06:58 PM
I've got a 40gigg in one of my computers with ME, Redhat 7.2 & XPpro installed in that order.
ME has to go on first "C" because unless you use 3rd party software to run ME from elsewhere on the disk it simply won't run because any dos based OS likes to reside on the first partition.
Linux or XP can go on next.
I use "LILO" (The linux boot loader) and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. I've had this configuration for at least a year now.
If you are only installing ME & XP, XP will automatically install it's own bootloader.
I use XPpro but I don't know if the home edition will give you the same bootloader feature, I suppose it would, but some further investigation may be needed before you attempt it.
Try www.powerquest.com they have good articles on dual booting.

Mike
07-07-2002, 09:37 PM
> Hello to you too. :)
>
> Yeah, you can whack in another hard disk if you want
> to and put Windows Me on it, but usually the default
> OS (XP Pro, in your case) has to be on the C: Drive.
> Or you could just put Me on a partition. Or even the
> same drive, but I wouldn't recommend it.
>
> :)
> PS: You could try running your games in
> 'Compatability mode"

Just to add - you'll need to put ME on the primary partition as drive C:. It won't boot to ME if its on another partition or drive. XP will boot off any partition or drive you set it up to. This said, you'll probably need to install ME first on C:, then install XP to wherever you want it put, and set up your bootloader however you want it set up.

Mike.