PDA

View Full Version : VBA Tips / Forum

parry
06-07-2002, 10:21 AM
Hi Im learning VBA (just thru a book + trial and error) and would like to know if there are some good sites people would recommend. I am particularly interested in compatibility issues of Office97 vs 2000.

For example, I have 2K at home & 97 at work. If I design a database at home and save it to Access97, '97 doesnt recognise some of the code, meaning I have to rewrite some things again. Same with Excel.

Some of the time it appears to be just the order within the code or just a slightly different way to write the statements although I note that the Switchboard in 2000 brings about an error when opening in 97. Unbelievable, considering the Switchboard is an addin created by MS themselves -cant even sort out compatibility with their own code standards it would seem :-) Had to kill the Switchbard and do another one in 97 in the end.

Basically it appears that saving a file down in 2000 to 97 does not appear to amend the VBA to equliavent staements in 97. I could understand if they were new statements only available in 2000 but this isnt the problem in most cases.

cheers

mikebartnz
06-07-2002, 11:38 AM
This is how MS keeps you on the upgrade wagon.
There are not many software vendors that could get away with such compatability issues.

Dolby Digital
06-07-2002, 05:02 PM
I would suggest you run Access 97 at home too (if thats possible).

parry
06-07-2002, 05:38 PM
Yup I could just install Off97 but its a bit more than that as I want to ensure whatever I develop works on both. Besides the thought of having to go through the installation again would make me insane.

I just recently downloaded all the service packs for 2k (just the 60+MB) and to make 97 & 2000 co-exist I would first have to <shudder>....
1) uninstall off2k
2) install97
3) download & apply service packs for 97
4) install2k
5) download & apply service packs for 2k

There goes a day of my life I will never get back :-)