PDA

View Full Version : UNABLE TO DELETE FILES

GrahamB
05-07-2002, 10:52 AM
I have just copied some files from Hard Disk to a USB Storage Disk, and for some reason a number of the files have gone completely weird, with strange file names.

When I try deleting them I get the message " Cannot delete >followed by the weird file name> The file name, directory or volume syntax is incorrect.

Apart from reformating the disk, is there anyway I can force a cleanup?

And does anyone know why it corrupted the transfer?

TFYH

boom23
05-07-2002, 02:06 PM
What are these files? How did you transfer them? Is this USB 2.0 storage?

Have you tried deleting them in real-mode DOS?

GrahamB
05-07-2002, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the intelligent questions.

The files are largely PDF and JPEG files in a directory containing folders for product types and then predominantly drawing and data files in each folder.

I am using USB1, and I transfer using Windows Commander. I have used this process without problem up 'til this morning.

I have not tried deleting in DOS mode. Will give it a shot and reply.
THYH

GrahamB
05-07-2002, 04:28 PM
I am less than expert with DOS, and working in XP the command prompt seemed less friendly. However I got to E> and ran del \Rel5\CDM* (because it did not like a file name with two words and a space), and it reponded by going back to the E>, which I took as a good sign. I rand DIR and the directory seemed to have disappeared, but when I went back into Windows it is still there.

I have runa virus scan (NOD32) and it shows 0 viruses.

I notice that inside my folders, which still have their valid names, are, in oplace of the files. a whole swag of folders with names in symbol try names. These sub-folders cannot be opened or deleted.

The PC I copied these files from is a WinME machine. I am trying to cleanup the USB Storage Disk files on XP.

Graham L
05-07-2002, 06:44 PM
Corrupted directories are nasty. :-( Norton's Utilities would almost certainly fix it.

In DOS (and probably your XP Command Prompt) you can quote
"multi word file names.ext"

The other DOS command deltree /Y directorypath will (try?) to delete all files in a directory. Might work. ;-)

My old DOS standby LIST.COM (which is a brilliant programme) would probably fix this. It's on Simtel. We've had the URL here a few times.

boom23
05-07-2002, 08:17 PM
Arhhh USB1, that could be the reason why it's corrupted. I read somewhere that USB1 is a bit slow for storage devices like hard drives, that's why USB2.0 has been developed.

Anyway, can you rename those files? if so try to rename them into simple names like 1.txt, etc. Then boot into DOS using win98 boot disk. You then can try to delete the file from there. It is much better to delete the files in DOS because there won't be any windows files loaded in DOS. IF you need to know DOS commands then just ask.

Also if you can't rename the files then are the names of the files readable? I mean are they in english? or are they in ASCII.

Terry Porritt
05-07-2002, 10:37 PM
Get list.com here:
ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/txtutl/list93a.zip
It's so useful that I have it in the right click 'send to'.

GrahamB
06-07-2002, 11:59 AM
Thanks for your help guys. I decided to try a Scandisk before going back in to do deltree, and the scan cleared the garbage out beautifully!

Case Closed.

But I have downloaded that list.com utility for future use!

Regards
Graham