PDA

View Full Version : game doesn't work properly

vk_dre
04-07-2002, 11:12 PM
i just upgraded my windows platform form from Win ME to Win XP Pro and lost all the video drivers for my video card, i downloaded new drivers and they seem to be working fine but when i load a game like Jedi Knight 2 or Fifa 2001 & Fifa 2002 each frame in the game is generated slowly. problem is that i can't move normally while in any game. wot do i do?!?

v.K

Craig Stewart
04-07-2002, 11:36 PM
What sort of video card have you got? Not sure why you say that the new drivers "seem to be working fine" but when you load a game, they don't. When is it that they do work? Sorry - not being sarky. We had a similar problem after going ME -> XP Pro. We have an oldish Viper TNT2 with 32 MB RAM. My son went to the nVidia site and downloaded new drivers and it fixed the problem. I think he got revised OpenGL drivers compatible with WinXP for the card.

Also I understand that some people have found problems like yours cleared up if they disabled 3D sound on their soundcard setup.

vk_dre
04-07-2002, 11:45 PM
thanks but i meant that it works fine for some video files but the audio is choppy and the frame rate is slow for the games, i have an Intel 815 chipset. downloaded all the new drivers but the games are just choking....................... anymore ideas?

v.K

tweak\'e
05-07-2002, 12:00 AM
how much ram does your pc have?

whats the specs for the pc??

vk_dre
05-07-2002, 12:07 AM
i've got a pentium 3 1.0Gh, 27GB HD, Intel 815 chipset, i think 128mb (not sure) Win Xp Pro, 2 cd drives 1=reader, 2=writer + AC 97 Sound card

tweak\'e
05-07-2002, 12:24 AM
128 meg is minimum for XP grab another 128. also onboard graphics and onboard sound are not good for gameing. what you have is an office machine not a gaming rig.

vk_dre
05-07-2002, 12:33 AM
yeah i know but all the games were working fine before i upgraded to Xp Pro and know they are all screwed up. Anymore sugestions?

v.K

tweak\'e
05-07-2002, 01:12 AM
the problem is what is 'working fine'? what was the frame rates(fps)?

it might have been bareable before but it will only take a small performance drop to make it unbareable.

trying to work out faults my email is really hard to do. without upgradeing hardware all i can suggest is to check for any bios updates, get latest drivers, latest game patchs, look up forum sites for those games for any tweaks, tweak out xp as much as you can.

hardware wise ram is the cheapest upgrade, then video card, mayby motherboard and sound card.

Biggles
05-07-2002, 10:11 AM
It does sound like the problem is outside the norm decreased performance. I assume from what was said that we are talking about frame rates slowing to a crawl on the same PC, and although many users have found that game performace under XP is worse than under 98/ME on the same rig, what you are describing appears to be outside that common experience.

So there may be a glitch, but without more info it is hard to diagnose. But I'll back up what Tweak said - if you want to play game slike this on your PC upgarde your RAM and Video. You can pick up another 128MB of Ram for relative peanuts:

http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-template.asp?cname=Memory

And you really need a better video card. I Geforce2 is all you need to make a big difference:

http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-template.asp?cname=Video+cards

$200-$250 bucks well spent I'd say.

As for tracking down th problem, go through the differenet video settings with a fine tooth comb. Switch from hadware mode to software rendering, and note your base frame rates. Go back to hadrwae mode and try the different resolutions. And go through the process of installing new drivers for the card again.

tweak\'e
05-07-2002, 10:33 AM
the other catch with this is i've had people play games on this type of machine at 6-10 fps and they think thats playable. it only takes a minor system change to make that 10 fps drop to 3 fps (its only 7 fps drop) which is totaly unplayable.

normally i would run a benchmark like quake3 demo 001 and get a base line to work from.

mejobloggs
05-07-2002, 03:29 PM
you probably need to put OpenGl in it.
Go here >
http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=21332&message=58368#58368

And read the whole lot, and try it out. you might not need the .lib one, i didnt for one of my programs, i just used the .dll one