PDA

View Full Version : +ms=v34 string

tweak\'e
04-07-2002, 09:09 PM
I WAS WRONG

the +ms=v34 modem string does cap the speed (may vary a bit with different modems). i did some testing on a mates pc (lucent winmodem) and the string limited it to 3.4kB/s.

i learn something new every day.

now can someone explain what a series of 'beeps' on the telephone line are when i'm on the net. it accures just after connecting and seems to come and go. the little bit of testing i've done seems to sudgest these 'beeps' are killing downloading. no we don't have call minder etc only faxability.

Waldorf
04-07-2002, 10:17 PM
I am in the back county central north island, Telecom's forgotten land
( poor cost/ benefit ratio ) lucky to get 15K on a good night.
Our modem has this instruction to slow it down. There are so many switching stations between us and the real world, the back and forth messaging in the handshake routine just gets fouled up at regular speed so no connection can be made.
The lower speed gives time for the phone system to cope. Remember its hard to send information this far down our rusty old wires.

Laurie
04-07-2002, 10:34 PM
Hi Tweak'e
I have a Rockwell 56k modem, Win 98 - modem string is AT+MS=V34 Connecting at 31200 bps. Have to use this to stay connected (most times)
Laurie
Taranaki

tweak\'e
04-07-2002, 10:47 PM
the catch here is we are only 5k~ out of town which is sitting on a main nothland link. with v90 i can connect at 44000 used to download at around 4kB/s now down to 2.88kB/s and have to use at +ms=v34 to stay on. telecom insist there is nothing wrong *cough*

the beeps on the line is what interest me. with v90 on all data stops when the beep comes through and dosn't always resume. with v34 on it is not to bad.

Peter Coleman
04-07-2002, 10:48 PM
Praise the Lord,you've seen the light ; )

Hi Tweak'e,what sort of beeps are they(not call waiting I suppose).
There shouldn't be any beeps on the line at all,other than call waiting,so are they proper beeps or more noise pops.If the second,perhaps Telecom need to have a look at your line.Other than that,I can't think what they could be.

Jim B
04-07-2002, 10:56 PM
We all knew that tweak'e, just couldn't be bothered arguing about it. :-)
Every ISP in the world uses this to to restrict connection speeds when phone lines are less than ideal and quite often it results in faster downloads due to the modem being more stable and not having to retrain to try and maintain a speed that conditions will not allow.
The string is different for different modem types and models.
Normally a lucent Win modem uses s38=0-v90=0
Rockwell HCF and Soft 56 and Conexant use +MS=V34
Rockwell ACF and Dynalink 1456 VQH/VE use +MS=11
Just to mention a few.

V90 is 56k +MS=V90 can be modified to restrict the speed which might give the desired result without having to go to the V34 33k speed

The command format for Rockwell/Conexant modems is -
+MS=<modulation>,<automode>,<min tx rate>,<max tx rate>,<min rx rate>,<max rx rate>
If you don't use all the formats you still have to add the comma.
So +MS=V90,,,,44000,52000 is min connect 44k max 52k

Waldorf
04-07-2002, 11:05 PM
Further to the above, check out " Slower can be faster"

http://808hi.com/56k/faster.asp also 56k.com

tweak\'e
04-07-2002, 11:05 PM
beeps not pops :(

so far theres been around 4-5 straight after connecting around 5 secs apart then random from there. dosn't cause modem to dissconect just kills data.

>We all knew that tweak'e, just couldn't be bothered arguing about it

barstard,barstard,barstard ;-) strange thing is we where downloading faster than the 3.3kB/s rate that it resticts it to. chaulk it up to freak net conditions.?:|

godfather
04-07-2002, 11:10 PM
tweak'e, it wouldn't be a speed re-negotiation sequence would it?

If you have less than ideal conditions they may continually renegotiate.

I know a modem I had would send low amplitude beeps as part of its initial negotiation. Dont know about later as it was muted and my lines are OK.

May be wrong (but then I wasn't about +ms=v34...)

*Sparky*
04-07-2002, 11:27 PM
Beep, beep, beep.

You haven't got an electric fence outside your window have you ? :_|

tweak\'e
04-07-2002, 11:35 PM
>You haven't got an electric fence outside your window have you ?

most likly but i haven't heard a fence beep yet :(