PDA

View Full Version : For Susan B - FAQ Removing Windows Messenger in WinXP

Babe Ruth
04-07-2002, 07:07 PM
Susan B,

Could you please replace the FAQ Removing Windows Messenger in WinXP contents with the following as there were two serious typos in the original.

Babe.

++++++++++++++++++CUT HERE++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Windows Messenger comes as part of WinXP but if you do not use this feature and wish to completely remove it from WinXp Home/Pro then do the following:

Note: The inf directory is a 'special' system directory; make sure you have enabled your explorer folder view options appropriately.

Open the file %SystemRoot%\inf\sysoc.inf

Where %SystemRoot% will point to something like C:\Windows or C:\Winnt or the wherver WinXP was installed / upgraded
The actual harddrive is pointed to by %SystemDrive%

The %SystemRoot% & %SystemDrive% system variables can be seen by going to a CMD prompt and typing SET | MORE

e.g. Open C:\WINDOWS\inf\sysoc.inf in NOTEPAD and change the line:

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7
to
msmsgs=ms gro cm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7

Save and Exit from Notepad.

You can then go into Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs and then use Add/Remove Windows Components to remove Messenger.

BTW If you are the more adventuous type then remove the word "HIDE" from each (all) of the lines in SYSOC.INF.

Now have a look in Add/Remove Windows Components section.

Babe Ruth
04-07-2002, 07:21 PM
Susan B,

Sorry for my spelling in the previous post - it's these old fingers 'o mine, hopefully you can change the spelink as you see fit.

regard, Babe.

Susan B
04-07-2002, 10:46 PM
Babe, I hope you didn't mind me taking the liberty of creating a FAQ from your original post. The question had come up again and I thought it had better be done pronto!

If it's OK with you, I think it would be better if you reposted the entire FAQ under your own name and get Robo or Bruce to delete mine. That way it would be fully credited to you as it should be, rather than people think it's my work as some of them appear to be doing now. I don't want to take credit for something I didn't do! ;-)

Stumped Badly
04-07-2002, 11:53 PM
OR this will do just as well & probably easier.
Go Start>Run & cut & paste the following in the dialogue box.

rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection BLC.Remove 128 %SystemRoot%\INF\msmsgs.inf

Stumped Badly
05-07-2002, 12:04 AM
OR if you just want to disable Messenger (you might want it back again)

Four things to do.

Go Messenger>tools menu>Options.
Uncheck the item for start at windows

Go Messenger>tools menu>Options.
Uncheck the item for run in background

Go OE>Tools menu>Options.
Uncheck run Messenger at startup Disable or don't open the 'contacts' pane in IE.
Go>OE (OE, View menu, "customize toolbar", uncheck 'contacts bar')

Or with XP Pro.

Go to start>run and type gpedit.msc
Open local computer policy>user configuration>administrative templates>windows components>windows messenger doubleclick the ''do not allow windows messenger to be run''

Note: This setting is available under both Computer Configuration and User Configuration. If both are present, the Computer Configuration version of this setting takes precedence.

Babe Ruth
05-07-2002, 12:36 AM
Susan B,

What I'll do is put together the suggestions we have from myself and Stumped Badley into one post (as there's certainly a number of ways to do this for differing levels of eXPertise) and you can put it where ever. As for credit? Since this is public info PressF1 takes the credit. (By the way it's nice to see on Microsofts NZ site a direct link to PressF1).

Cheers, Babe.

Babe Ruth
05-07-2002, 01:43 AM
Susan B, Here is an updated FAQ "Removing or Disabling Windows Messenger in Windows XP". As I don't have Outlook Express or Messenger I couldn't check the veracity of Option 3.

Babe.
++++++++++++++++++ CUT HERE ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Removing or Disabling Windows Messenger in Windows XP

Option 1:

Windows Messenger comes as part of WinXP but if you do not use this feature and wish to completely remove it from WinXp Home or Professional then do the following: Note: The inf directory is a 'special' system directory; make sure you have enabled your explorer folder view options appropriately.

Open the file %SystemRoot%\inf\sysoc.inf

Where the system environment variable %SystemRoot% will point to something like C:\Windows or C:\Winnt or wherever WinXP was installed / upgraded. The actual harddrive is pointed to by the system environment variable %SystemDrive%

The %SystemRoot% and %SystemDrive% system variables can be seen by going to a CMD prompt and typing SET | MORE

e.g. Open C:\WINDOWS\inf\sysoc.inf in NOTEPAD and change the line:

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7
to:
msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7

Save and Exit from Notepad.

You can then go into Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs and then use Add/Remove Windows Components to remove Messenger. BTW If you are the more adventurous type then remove the word "HIDE" from each (all) of the lines in SYSOC.INF. Now have a look in Add/Remove Windows Components section.

Option 2:

Remove the Windows Messenger installation procedure:
Click Start | Run and cut and paste the following in the dialogue box.

rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection BLC.Remove 128 %SystemRoot%\INF\msmsgs.inf
Click OK

Option 3:

If you just want to disable Messenger (as you might want it back again) there are four things to do.

Start Messenger and click Tools | Options | Preferences
(i) Uncheck the item for “Run this Program when Windows starts”
(ii) Uncheck the item for “Allow this program to run in the background”

Start Outlook Express and click Tools | Options.
(iii) Uncheck run Messenger at start-up. Disable or don't open the 'Contacts' pane in Internet Explorer
(iv) Go to the View menu, "Customize Toolbar", uncheck 'Contacts Bar'

Option 4:
If you have WinXP Professional.

Click START | RUN and type gpedit.msc and click OK

Open Local Computer Policy | User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Windows Messenger and double-click the ''Do not allow Windows Messenger to be run''

Notes:
· This setting allows you to disable Windows Messenger.
· If you enable this setting, Windows Messenger will not run.
· If you disable or do not configure this setting, Windows Messenger can be used.
· If you enable this setting, Remote Assistance also cannot use Windows Messenger.
· This setting is available under both Computer Configuration and User Configuration. If both are present, the Computer Configuration version of this setting takes precedence.

Susan B
05-07-2002, 11:00 AM
You are way too modest, Babe! The credit is rightfully yours (and Stumpy's) so chop chop and start a new FAQ post. ;-)

If you need more convincing, I'm quite worried that if it's under my name I'll be swamped with requests on how to do this and that with it when I know nothing about the subject. It has already happened once...