PDA

View Full Version : downloading linux

forrest44
04-07-2002, 09:34 AM
Can I download linux of the internet and install it from my HD, or do I always have to write it te a CD first?

Chris Wilson
04-07-2002, 10:49 AM
if you are downloading the .iso files that are designed to used as CD's that pretty much is the only simple way of using them.
what distribution are you d/loading?

forrest44
04-07-2002, 03:11 PM
Don't worry I have found a distro' called phatlinux 4.0 that you can install from your HD in windows.

Graham L
04-07-2002, 04:15 PM
You can download individual packages of Slackware to a HD (or the floppies its made for). If you get a 650 MB file called blah.iso, it is an image of a CD. You *might* be able to get something which will treat it as a pseudo CD ... but that format is intended to be put onto an actual CD. But unless you've got a fast connection (or even then) why download that much when there are at least two people who will sell you freshly made CDs for $10 or $15?

Chris Wilson
04-07-2002, 04:22 PM
Graham,
what you mean why bother?
it only takes about 13 hours, even on a pigslow 128k connection, so if i'm going out, i start the download, and it's probaly almost finished when i get up... easyer than finding someone to burn a copy me thinks..

forrest...
I'd be keen to know how phatlinux went
good luck!

Graham L
04-07-2002, 04:59 PM
Chris: I meant, " why bother? ". There's www.xsolutions.co.nz/linux/ at Lincoln. He charges $12 per CD, $20 for 2. There's copyleft.co.nz in Dunedin. You and your "pigslow" 128k connection. ;-) . My first Linux installation had a fast connection: me cycling home with about 10 floppies from my CD-owning-friend's place. I suppose the bandwidth was boosted by the fact that I was taking my CD home with me too.

I have just remembered that forrest44 was asking for a Linux for a 486. Mandrake (and a few others) require a 586 processor. I hope phatlinux isn't like that. RedHat will still load on a 486. Slackware will still go on a 386.

Any linux loaded in a DOS/Windows partition will be slowed down by that. It does save the problem of partitioning and multibooting. But RedHat and Mandrake will have more people in NZ. Even Slackware will have a bigger user base here. Ive got that, so that's "at least one".

-=JM=-
04-07-2002, 05:40 PM
Redhat and Mandrake really battle it out for superiority here in NZ. But there are still quite a lot of Slackware fans.

But Debian would be the "big daddy" that most people would really like to learn to use.

forrest44
04-07-2002, 07:39 PM
My 486 is one of my old computers, I am downloading phatlinux onto a laptop with a K-6 CPU which has 64 MB RAM. My 486 has a modem that is unreliable.