PDA

View Full Version : Win XP Disk Clean-Up Utility

Snowman
04-07-2002, 01:55 AM
The XP disk clean-up utility gives you options of what you want to clean out before you do it, one of them is "Compress old files and folders", which I currently have ticked. Every time I use the utility, there is a large quantity of stuff under this heading. Can any body tell me if compressing these old files all the time will damage or degrade their contents in any way over the long term ??

*Sparky*
04-07-2002, 02:14 AM
Hi Snowman,

I was going to have a crack at answering your query, but when I had a look at my Disk Cleanup Utility in XP Pro, it wasn't there. :(

Where is yours? ?:|

boom23
04-07-2002, 02:19 AM
It could decrease the performance a little bit since your OS has to uncompress the files/folders on the fly everytime you access the files. But in a fast system, you won't notice this. As for the damage, it won't damage your hard drive since it's only compressed folders not compressed disk, but your files could become corrupted for some reason. You'd be really unfornate if this happens. Very little chance of this will happen, but it does happen.

Snowman
05-07-2002, 03:03 AM
Hi Sparky. Where is disk cleanup in Win XP ??......................
Click on Start............ Control panel........Performance and Maintenance.....
..........., Under the heading "Pick a Task", choose the 3rd one down...
........."Free up space on your Hard Disk". This is assuming all your views are set to XP views,... and not classic view. I have mine set to XP.

Regards,
Snowman.