PDA

View Full Version : HP deskjet 810C

golliwog
03-07-2002, 10:29 AM
Experience suggests that some ink jet printers do not have a maintenance free life of more than half a 500 sheet paper pack. My 2 yr old HP 810C printer is out of warrantee. The in-pack cartridges ran dry after less than 50 prints and the store advised that the originals were low load units to get you started. They sold me a full load replacement set that would perform much better and longer.

The printer is used once a fortnight & did perform ok for about 2 months although cleaning the heads is necessary each time it is turned on. I have vented my frustration by dismantling the side of the printer housing the head parking cradle. This was not easy & prior knowledge of where the spring clips that hold the casing together would have helped. The head parking area was clogged with dried up ink.

Should the printer be turned off after every use? What process is carried out when the heads are cleaned? Are there any tips on keeping the head parking area clean without dismantling the whole unit?

t.c.
03-07-2002, 11:16 AM
Greetings. The 810 is a good bread and butter unit.
You have raised several aspects to which there possibly are answers but you do not supply sufficient info.
To start with, I suggest you leave the printer switched on at all times.
You might like to keep it in a place that is not too cold but out of direct sunlight, etc. The ink and jets are fussy.
Run it once a week, if possible.
If you are using re-fills, remember H P heads are in the cartridge and do not last forever.
Good luck.

golliwog
03-07-2002, 05:39 PM
HP 810C Deskjet Printer

More information. I’ll give it a go.

The printer was often left switched on during the first few months I owned it. I had wondered if you left it on would that cause it to pressurise the ink in the cartridge and cause it to dribble out and build up a heap of gooey, half dried up, ink down the side of the rubber rectangular head parking bits and more particularly on the rubber supports under the back of where the cartridge sits down. I will tend to leave it on more often from now on.

I am a subscriber to “iMag”. You may like to do an article on how deskjet cartridge heads work, what causes the ink to squirt. When you clean the heads what is the mechanical process that goes on. I am at a bit of a loss about why you can clean the heads of the cartridges but must not rub the strip where the actual miniscule jet holes are. Perhaps there are too many different deskjet type of products on the market to be able to inform readers on the basic principles involved.

How does the printer clean the heads with out scraping the dried ink off the strip along the inkjet holes. It does not have a supply of water, or meth’s, to wet the area. There must be some basic rules for doing a bit a maintenance on the mechanical side of printers. I have only used new HP cartridges, but at the cost I may look to a refill process soon.

I have considered that the heads may not be parking properly into the rubber inserts. Reason for this may be that the very first cartridge leaked and gummed up the parking mechanism just enough to stop it lining up properly. Or a gradual process leading to the same thing. Then the ink was able to drip away to its’ hearts delight.

Perhaps the parking mechanism was never aligned properly and needs to be moved. This can only be achieved by a fair bit of dismantling first. I have cleaned the trapezoidal parking mechanism and it appears to do the job and would not be out of exact alignment by more than millimetre or two.

If the HP 810C is a good personal workhorse I must persevere a bit longer. Thanks for your thoughts on the problem. My Boss tells me he has the same model printer and is having difficulties with sheets of paper getting scrunched up so I may get that one to look over as well.

I am a civil engineer working in a contracting firm.

Graham L
03-07-2002, 06:45 PM
The "head cleaning" process just squirts some of your expensive ink through the head onto an absorbent pad at the parking zone. It will ensure that all the nozzles are used. Leaving the unit on will not pressurize the cartridge. The main argument for leaving a printer on is ink-saving. Epsons do a full head-cleaning cycle when they are turned on. This gives short cartridge life. (By a curious coincidence, this will tend to improve Epson's profits). Maybe HP do the same ... with an option to really clean the head.

Cleaning the cartridge is fine, apart from the actual nozzle area. The holes are very small. I think they are electroformed in thin copper, and you could easily burr them closed, if you rubbed them with anything.

Most inkjet printers use thermal or piezo "bubble" forming to spit the ink. I don't think any now use pumped ink and electrostatic deflection like the early ones in the 80s.

godfather
03-07-2002, 06:59 PM
Re your comment on refilling cartridges:
Success is not guaranteed with HP (particularly black) in my opinion.
The HP cartridges have a critical pressure (vacuum?) in them that is more luck to obtain when refilling than science.
Wrong pressure tends to over/under ink or smudge.
You need to re-ink within hours of running out or the cartridge may block.

There have been postings here before where printers have been giving poor quality, and the common factor was re-inked cartridges.

I used to re-ink but gave up.
Other brands may be better, but HP are still a good printer I believe.

Poppa John
03-07-2002, 07:56 PM
My first printer was an Epson 460, this one is an Epson Stylus C2OUX (a 480 in disguise?). I always
RE-FILL" my cartridges, with Epson ink. The supplier on the North Shore, Aukland Swears it is. Apart from getting the ink to flow after putting the cartridge back, They run Ok. Pays to put the cartridge back in late at night, do one or two head cleans next day, is what I do. It is much cheaper, as demanded by Pension Money Income. Broke Poppa John :-)

godfather
03-07-2002, 08:02 PM
Epson appear more tolerant of refilling, except some models refuse to recognise a refilled cartridge as full, and keep refusing to print because its empty....

The main difference with Epson is that the print head is usually separate from the ink cartridge, and doesnt get replaced each time the cartridge is changed.

Graham L
04-07-2002, 06:20 PM
Those Epsons have an EEPROM in the cartridge. That has to be reset when the cartridge is refilled. Intelligent ink? Hell no, protecting the cash flow. :-)

Poppa John
05-07-2002, 09:16 PM
Re the eeproms. Is this something I can reset?? I do not have a problem re-filling the Epson 460 cartridges. The original C20UX (480?) will not "Flow Ink" even tho the printer clatters thro the motions, no ink on paper! Yes I know there is a "Mechanical Difference" between the 460 & 480 cartridge slots, but there is a way around it. Don't throw away your 460 carts, I can make them work in my C20UX. Poppa John ;-)