PDA

View Full Version : Windows 3.11

Patrick
02-07-2002, 09:17 PM
Hi. Just recently, I downloaded a couple of windows 3x games for my old windows 3.11 computer. When I try to open them, it quickly flashes to dos and says "This programme cannot be run in DOS mode", and then it flashes back to windows. What do I do?

godfather
02-07-2002, 09:23 PM
Despite your belief that these are Windows 3.1 games, the message you are getting suggests they are DOS games, that con only be run in "real" DOS mode, not in the Windows DOS mode.

Do not boot the computer to "Win", leave it in DOS. Run the games from the DOS prompt. Hope you still remember DOS!

(This strains my memory cells....)

jst_nz
03-07-2002, 09:29 AM
Typically that error message means the program needs some sort of windows support. It may in fact be looking for Win 95 or later support. Win 3.11 was really barely a shell around DOS and only supports some calls that we now all take for granted in Win 9x or later. Have you tried running them on later versions of Win ?

Graham L
03-07-2002, 03:20 PM
The message meets the ambiguity standard: it can be taken in either of the two ways two people have interpreted it. ;-)

(1) "it can't be run in DOS mode from inside W3x (therefore has to be run in real DOS); or,

(2)"It can't be run in DOS mode in this W3X because there is something missing."

I'd try stopping W3x and running it from the DOS prompt -- that is, take the first interpretation. If that doesn't work, and you want the game, you could try installing the 32bit upgrade to W3x. That's about the only thing that could be missing (for the second interpretation).