PDA

View Full Version : Windows updates on XP

Gazza
02-07-2002, 08:21 PM
I have recently purchased my first P.C. and I am slowly finding my way around it. On my start menu it lists Windows Update as an option and when I checked it out it had quite alot of updates to download. Should I be downloading all of these updates or just some selected ones? How often should I be checking for these updates?

godfather
02-07-2002, 08:27 PM
I check weekly for updates and accept all critical ones, optional ones are loaded according to my requirements but usually most are accepted.

Probably every month or two is OK, but recommend you do the updates.

Gazza
02-07-2002, 10:13 PM
Thanks Godfather, but how can you tell the critical ones from the optional ones? Are they listed that way or is it just experience. which I am very short on.

godfather
02-07-2002, 10:21 PM
Critical updates are called....Critical Updates.

XP updates are called XP updates, and have an explanation beside each and links to full explanations.

Driver Updates are called...you guessed it! Driver Updates,
and are "smart" insomuch as they apply to your hardware (your computer is scanned when you enter the site)

Seems safe enough, I have applied (almost) all updates for about 7 months now.

Be aware there will be a lot the first time, so hope you have a broadband connection. If not do a few at a time.

If you decline one it will be there next time, unless you go into the option that lets you personalise your settings and tell it no.

Babe Ruth
03-07-2002, 01:11 AM
Agree with all that Godfather has said and would only add that the update I would definitely NOT download is the Microsoft .NET Framework which is around 21MB.

Also note that Service Pack 1 for WinXP will be out August 14/15

Cheers, Babe.

Babe Ruth
03-07-2002, 01:21 AM
One other thing is the MS Office Products Updates - if you use Microsoft Office e.g. Office 2000 / XP.

This site is located here:

Office Updates (http://office.microsoft.com/productupdates/)

Cheers, Babe.

Gazza
03-07-2002, 03:45 PM
Thanks again Godfather and Babe Ruth. Babe what do you mean about Service pack for XP out in August. What is it?

Babe Ruth
03-07-2002, 03:54 PM
Gazza,

Take a look at the following article from Paul Thurrott which gives a very good explanation.

Windows XP SP1 Preview (http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp_sp1_preview.asp)

When SP1 for WinXP is released you can download it and apply or order a CD from MS for
a nominal $cost.
(note you will only download a helper app so that SP1 only appiles the patches/fixes/updates
etc relevant to your XP environment)

Cheers, Babe.