PDA

View Full Version : ISP and email package support.

Bill Lester
02-07-2002, 05:18 PM
Hello, all,
As I understand the situation, not all ISP's support all email programmes. Is this correct and how does one find which programme/s are supported by current users ISP?

Is it possible to have more than one email programme at your command and is there any advantage in this ?
Bill.

godfather
02-07-2002, 05:29 PM
If you are talking of pop3 email (as opposed to web-mail) I am not aware that its an ISP issue, each e-mail program has the ISP settings for pop3 and smtp servers configurable.

Elwin Way
02-07-2002, 07:03 PM
Some mail servers require Authentification to be set. Some mail programs don't have this.

I discovered this after trying to use Opera's inbuilt mail to check my Yahoo accout. It will check and download fine, but you will see errors when trying to send.

I am now using Eudora, for it is free and you can *cough* register it to remove ads and functionality. It is easy to use and has more features than OE.

godfather
02-07-2002, 07:14 PM
Having multiple email programs is possible but can be a nightmare if you need to check back on a previous email, you need to remember which program you downloaded it in.

For instance if you download in OE6, dont expect to see it when you use Eudora as they store them differently.

I concur with Elwin, that Eudora is superior to anything else I have tried. It is the only trialware program I have been happy to pay for and remains my only email program. I just wish it had a version to run on my PocketPC! (There is a Palm version)