PDA

View Full Version : CD-Rom & Writer Trouble

olibigoli
02-07-2002, 01:08 PM
Please HELP!!, my cd writer and cd rom arent working, there is no buttons for them in explorer plus or winders explorer etc...

in system there is no driver installed but when i scan for new hard ware it dosent pick them up.

When i first boot up and it shows the black screen it reads the writer and the cd-rom.

The writer is primary.

What do i do?

tweak\'e
02-07-2002, 01:14 PM
check that they are plugged in. i have a prob with mine with leads coming loose. next check in bios that the secondary master and slave is set to auto detect not none.(i'm assumeing they are plugged into the seconady ide lead)

olibigoli
02-07-2002, 08:45 PM
Yeah they are all pluged in properly and the bois is set right(i tihnk)

olibigoli
02-07-2002, 08:45 PM
Yeah they are all pluged in properly and the bois is set right(i tihnk)

Elwin Way
02-07-2002, 09:09 PM
Have you got the right drivers installed?

Your CD writer at least should come with a CD or floppy with drivers on it.

tweak\'e
02-07-2002, 09:12 PM
if they are both on the same ide cable then unplug one at a time and try it. you may just have one dead drive causeing the ide channel not to work.

can you open both cd drive and put a cd in?

other than that really need more info on your system.

have a look if any ! marks in divice manager. is dma enabled on hardrive?

what esle happened around the time they stopped working?

sounds like it could just be motherboard drivers need reinstalling.

olibigoli
02-07-2002, 09:45 PM
Yeah both of them open and close properly

IN the device hardware manager there isnt even a cd-rom thing at all and no ! marks anywhere.

They just both stopped working onedays noting else changed.

kr0-n0s
02-07-2002, 11:09 PM
>Posted by: olibigoli Posts: 4 / From: Whakatane / Registered: Jul, >2002

>They just both stopped working onedays noting else changed.

Are we to assume then that the CD ROM drive as well as the CD burner were working at one stage? If so are you able to recall what occurred prior to your CD writer & CD ROM drive not functioning?

As a rule of thumb the more information one provides(hardware/software info) the easier it will be to diagnose the problem (usually).

If the system is detecting the writer as well as the cd drive during bootup and assuming both drives are functioning correctly then I'd put my head on the proverbial block and say it's a software problem. What OS are you running?

There is alot I need to learn about computers so don't shoot me if my assumptions are wrong ;)

... Matt

tweak\'e
03-07-2002, 12:23 AM
funny i just happen to know a dude with the name matt that goes by the nick kronocyde .....mmmmm i wonder.........

olibigoli
03-07-2002, 10:04 AM
Ok il try and tell you as much as i can.....

Im running windows ME.

There is no icon for cd-rom in controll pannell or device manager.

They were both running very well, i was coppying cd to cd and hard drive to cd.

Both drivers were running well.

Ricoh writer and an older 36x speed cr-rom.

The rivers have just dissapered and when you install them they say install complete but there not there...still no icons in device manager.

olibigoli
03-07-2002, 10:07 AM
drivers*

tweak\'e
03-07-2002, 10:31 AM
go to system tools, system infomation, click on componants, click on problem devices.

also look in control panel,system, performance see if it says anything like 'useing ms-dos compatibility mode'.

if all ok pull out ide cable from one cd drive. start pc see if windows finds it. if notheing shtdown pc, plug cd drive back in unplug other drive, restart and see if windows finds it.

you can try finding latest motherboad drivers and installing them.

olibigoli
03-07-2002, 11:39 AM
The only problem in system info is

IRQ holder for pci steering

And yes it is useing ms-dos compatibility mode.

Im gonna try and do what u said with the ide cables now thanx.

tweak\'e
03-07-2002, 11:44 AM
>useing ms-dos compatibility mode.

try reloading motherboard drivers. it also could be a device conflicting with the motherboard.

olibigoli
03-07-2002, 02:04 PM
I pulled out the ide cables and did what you said but windows stil cant pick them up. :(

How do you reload the motherboard driver, do u do it in windows of start windows up with the disk in or what?

tweak\'e
03-07-2002, 02:24 PM
your motherboard drivers are normally on a cd that came with your pc. otherwise look on the net for them. if you don't know, post what motherboard is(or any info on motherboard the model number is normally on it)

mind u it will be hard to install drivers off a cd with no cd drive ;-)

the other quick way which might do it is boot up with boot disk and reinstall windows(do not format).

otherwise post as much info as you can find on your pc :)

Rod J
03-07-2002, 02:26 PM
Your system should have come with a disk containing motherboard drivers. But your best bet would be to go to the site of your motherboard manufacturer and download the latest drivers. I have a Jetway motherboard with a Via chipset. I went to the Via site to get the latest ones for mine. If these drivers aren't working correctly you will certainly get all sorts of odd behaviour from your PC.

kr0-n0s
03-07-2002, 03:08 PM
>funny i just happen to know a dude with the name matt that goes by >the nick kronocyde .....mmmmm i wonder.........

My, what are the odds, but I've never gone by the name kronocyde.
... Matt

olibigoli
03-07-2002, 05:44 PM
hey i found a driver but i cant find where to put it

It is in (.bin) format.

tweak\'e
03-07-2002, 06:52 PM
.bin format ?? sounds like you have found a bios upgrade.

where did you find it?

olibigoli
04-07-2002, 09:08 AM
Yeah it is an upgrade because when i searched for my motherboard driver there was a list of about 20 problems that the bios has.

So i got the upgrade of a link.

GA 6BXC is my mother board model.

olibigoli
04-07-2002, 09:34 AM
I think i found my motherboard driver.

ON a disk it says

Bus master IDE Drivers
Flash EPROM Utility
DMI utility

tweak\'e
04-07-2002, 11:59 AM
you have a 440bx intel chipset. you can get drivers here- http://www.giga-byte.com/support/d_intel.htm or search intel.com.

Wilky
09-07-2002, 01:55 PM
I had that prob once. 'Twas our motherboard driver. I had a VIA motherboard, I downloaded the VIA 4 in 1 patch and it was fixed. Hope this helped.

olibigoli
10-07-2002, 09:10 PM
Ok, ive been away 4 a few days.
I go the driver u sed to get but i cant find out how to install it.
It keeps getting errors and stuff

Rod J
10-07-2002, 11:09 PM
Try starting your PC in 'Safe Mode'. Then try installing the driver. Are there any instructions with the driver? Maybe it can't even be installed from Windows. You might have to restart in MS-Dos mode or from a bootable floppy disk and then install it.