PDA

View Full Version : PS1 or PS2 ?

nzspitnz
02-07-2002, 12:47 PM
I was wondering if I would be better off buying a Playstation 2 or a Playstation 1. And where I could get the lowest price.

Tom

tweak\'e
02-07-2002, 12:54 PM
you already have a pc to play games on, why bother with a playstation?

if anything the PS2 only because it can play dvd's.

robo
02-07-2002, 12:58 PM
No idea about where to go, but definitely PS2. DVD player and no hassle about which games work. $499 should cover it.
Also, don't trash your registry so much better than PC for gaming (sorry guys, but you've got to admit it is true).
robo.

Babe Ruth
02-07-2002, 01:00 PM
Tom,

Dick Smiths Hedleys - Masterton is selling PS2 for $498

Babe.

tweak\'e
02-07-2002, 01:17 PM
>so much better than PC for gaming

X-( X-( X-(

anything that uses a low res screen for games SUX. :_|

Xbox with a computer screen attached would be more like it :D

Elwin Way
02-07-2002, 01:45 PM
If you want cheap, get a PS1 cos it's dying a long, slow death.

If you want cool, get a PS2, not just for the graphics and the DVD, but I hear that you can get a chip that let's 'em play MP3 cds...

GT3, GTA3, Metal Gear Solid 2... what more could you ask for? :D

Elwin Way
02-07-2002, 01:48 PM
Oh yea, check out Gamesman, Electronics Boutique and Central Park for good prices and deals.

-=JM=-
02-07-2002, 01:58 PM
Umm I'd have to say go with the PS2. Unless you've already got a DVD player in which case just go for more spent on the PC.

But it is always good to have a console for the little kids to use.

Biggles
02-07-2002, 02:05 PM
Also, don't trash your registry so much better than PC for gaming (sorry guys, but you've got to admit it is true).

Rob, Rob, Rob, (Bruces shakes his head sadly). Does a PS2 give me the ability to fly the length of NZ in aircraft created by enthusiasts, with add-on scenery also created by enthusiasts? Does a a PS2 give me games with complex controls that make use of keyboard, mouse and joystick? (that's a plus, not a minus bud). Does a PS2 let me play HL, Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat online? Does a PS2 let me waste hours not just playing Civ3, but then making addon for it and trying out others add-ons?

All consoles gravitate towards simplicity. It is a factor of their design, which is plug and play in the lounge. Great for a few beers and races with the lads but not good for complex, expandable games, which are what I like to play. And I don't like waiting on Sony's/Nintendo's/MS's pleasure for the next platform when I can upgrade components of my PC and get an all-new gaming experience.

As for trashing my registry - my Windows ME (yes, ME) PC has run trouble-free for a couple of years, despite constant installing and un-installing of games.

The supeior platform depends entirely on what you mean, when you say "game".

robsonde
02-07-2002, 02:07 PM
I payed $199 for a PS1 in December and found it was good but then i traded it in for a PS2 about 6 weeks ago and a PS2 is very cool (BTW it still plays PS1 games )

the DVD player is also a good extra if you dont have one yet.

PS1 is about $175-$199 for the system
PS1 games are $30-$90

PS2 is about $475-$499 for the system
PS2 Games are $45-$119 (most new games at $199)

what ever you chose have fun

Elwin Way
02-07-2002, 02:19 PM
>....Great for a few beers and races with the lads....

Excuuuse me! X-(

I have just achieved 100.91% in GT2. It took me roughly 2 years and no beer!

A lot of racing games are better played in solo and take considerable skill and practice to master.

:p

richyb
02-07-2002, 02:56 PM
$199 for most PS2 games is not quite right, true some can run up to $149, but i think that is the limit at the moment, and with the platinum range coming out you can pick up some great games like Tekken Tag, World Rally Championship and Resident Evil:Code Veronica.

Also, unlike with a PC, the games generally have a lot less bugs in the software, which has been evident with lazy pc programmers, who don't have to check that everything works fine, as they know they can just post a "patch" on the internet to fix the problem later. Also the console genre is devoted purely for games (as well as DVD movies on PS2), so cost less than pc and tend to be easier to run the game, just "plug and play".

Biggles
02-07-2002, 04:01 PM
Also, unlike with a PC, the games generally have a lot less bugs in the software, which has been evident with lazy pc programmers, who don't have to check that everything works fine, as they know they can just post a "patch" on the internet to fix the problem later.

Not a fair comment. It is the SAME game companies involved in many cases - can you say EA?. The difference with consoles is that eveything is a known quantity. There is no variation in hardware or software to support and hence bug test for. Period.

That doesn't mean the games don't have bugs, just that there is nothing in there that will crash the game or platform (since that is easy to test for). But there will remain flaws in gameplay. At least on a PC you've got a chance of these being fixed.

I wouldn't try to argue that games on a PC is not a more trouble-filled proposition. It goes with the territory. One of the reasons game companies love consoles is because they don't cause problems and support nightmares for them, and who can blame them for that. But don't think that console programmers are somehow a better class of programmer than those who design for PC.

robo
02-07-2002, 04:25 PM
Oh, Bruce. Why am I not surprised?

Yes, I know the PC has it's place.

But on the other hand, I just had my daughter load a CD onto my wife's PC and install it on C drive when it was already installed elsewhere. There is about 9Mb free on C and I have to uninstall it, reinstall it, and figure out how to patch up the holes in the wall where I crucified my daughter when I found out (she also insists that the power switch removes the need to shut down the PC properly).

Don't get that on PS2.

I have both, and use both, but for those that can't handle maintaining a PC (or don't want to, like me), the PS2 is a wonderfully low stress answer.

The PC is not the easy option, it isn't the cheap option, but it is an option.

robo.

Biggles
02-07-2002, 05:31 PM
Ya well, I didn't say it was easy. But I didn't by the line that a PS2 is a better game platfrom, cause it all comes down to what you want from your platform.

Besides, your mother dresses you funny ....

Baldy
02-07-2002, 05:36 PM
Love it, love it..... love an animated dialogue.

Personally, I would rather have a PC for gaming. As Bruce say's, you have far more control over your actions with the PC variant.......

Having said that, would love a PS2 for my kids to use. If only cause I can spend longer on the computer

BALDY

Biggles
02-07-2002, 05:41 PM
Yeah well, if a certain company was to slip me their latest console I wouldn't say no, you know what I mean? But if it comes down to spending my money, for me - with the types of games I like and the mods/hacks/addons I like to install to expand the games - the PC is where I'd have to (and do) spend my money.

I mean gee - I just downloaded about 50Mb of Ghost Recon mods - missions, weapon add-ons, a few new levels. Forget about enjoying a game like GR on a console, let alone having user-created mods available for it on a platform like that.

Elwin Way
02-07-2002, 06:15 PM
I find some game genres work better on a certain platform than other. Car racing - console; Flight sim - PC; platform (earthworm jim)- console; FPS - PC; adventure (eg Myst) either; skate - PC; Snowboard - console; strategy - PC; see, it's all about preferences. But then again, imagine trying to play Flight Sim 2002 on a playstation...

robo
02-07-2002, 06:43 PM
Imagine running it on a PII 400.

Elwin Way
02-07-2002, 06:56 PM
I've run it on my PI266 with 32Mb ram laptop (no 3dcard)

Actually I shouldn't say I ran it, more like I walked it...

:D

robo
02-07-2002, 09:42 PM
or crawled?

kr0-n0s
02-07-2002, 11:46 PM
I have a P4 as well as a PS2 and quite frankly I enjoy both. Which one I use to play games depends entirely on the game and my mood.

Currently I'm playing Medal of Honor:Frontline on my PS2 and I must admit though on occassion I have found myself wishing that my console came with a keyboard and mouse. I don't seem to react to situations as fast when using a dualshock 2 controller especially when I want to switch weapons and go directly into sniper mode. But still I'm able to enjoy the game :)

I personally would advise going with a PS2 rather then a PS1. Graphically, the PS2 allow game developers to write games that are far superior then if it was run on PS1 (not that it's possible to run a PS2 game on a PS1) ... but hopefully you get my point.

Try Dick Smith Electronics and ask if they have any PS2 "system models". This means that something was originally wrong with the console and was brought back by the customer. The console is then taken away to be fixed and then returned. If I'm not mistaken system models also come with a warranty. Why would you do this? It's cheaper.

Then there's DVD . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . < - - this is me going on and on ..

.. Matt

Biggles
03-07-2002, 09:56 AM
Of course, with MS's XBox arriving on local shores in October, you might expect another round of price reductions, so it could be worth while waiting a few months to see if they - PS2, Gamecube, XBox - go price-war crazy.

robo
03-07-2002, 11:20 AM
Maybe I would settle for a fast PC with a couple of game console emulators.

Biggles
03-07-2002, 12:03 PM
Personally, I'd settle for a quad-Xeon with 1Gb RAM, oh about 200Gb of hard drive space, wall-mounted plasma screen, the surround sound system from hell, and one of these: www.aerosoft.com.au (http://www.aerosoft.com.au/)

Elwin Way
03-07-2002, 02:20 PM
> Of course, with MS's XBox arriving on local shores in
> October,

ETA or definite date?

> you might expect another round of price
> reductions, so it could be worth while waiting a few
> months to see if they - PS2, Gamecube, XBox - go
> price-war crazy.

I am.

I am also still laughing at my bro in-law who splashed out $1800 when the PS2 hit the shops. He wants an X-box now.. [sigh]

Biggles
03-07-2002, 03:50 PM
>ETA or definite date?

Don't know if they've set a definate date but I'm reasonably sure it is October.

robo
03-07-2002, 04:15 PM
It's not like people are able to buy one in Sydney or anything, should be really exciting when they release something a year after the rest of the world got it.
Yawn.

Biggles
03-07-2002, 04:20 PM
It's not like I've been able to afford to go to Sydney lately either ....

robo
03-07-2002, 04:23 PM
I went there on air points and they were everywhere. I am sure those that want them here have them already. We get movies at the same time as most other places, aren't we being treated like second-class citizens by not being allowed to buy X-boxes yet?

Susan B
03-07-2002, 05:17 PM
> aren't we being treated like second-class
> citizens by not being allowed to buy X-boxes yet?

Yes we are and it suxs.

But look on the bright side - if the things develop a fault then those ozzie guinea pigs will have ensured that the things get delivered to our shores all fixed up.

Won't they?

Biggles
03-07-2002, 05:43 PM
Hey, not trying to defend MS, just pointing out that not everyone is able to go to Oz, air points or not, so that lots of folks will have to wait until MS is gracious enough to release them here. I doubt that everyone who'll buy one has got one already ....

... also, I'd never buy something like this at launch date. Prices too high, games too few, future uncertain. A year down the track it is different. It's the same with every piece of new technology. It's been a decade or more since I last spent money on bleeding edge technology. Give me tried, tested and discounted any day ....

Susan B
03-07-2002, 06:29 PM
> Hey, not trying to defend MS

No one said you were.

> I doubt that everyone who'll buy one has got one already ....

Not everyone, but quite a few...

> ... also, I'd never buy something like this at launch
> date. Prices too high, games too few, future
> uncertain. A year down the track it is different.
> It's the same with every piece of new technology.
> It's been a decade or more since I last spent money
> on bleeding edge technology. Give me tried, tested
> and discounted any day ....

Me too. Burnt my fingers once too often...

Now that I'm in this soup I may as well give my opinion on Playstations.

We, or should I say I, gave in to tremendous pressure from our boy last year and got him a PS1. I'm glad we did now because he's off my back to play on this machine all the time and I get a decent crack at it now. ;-)

The PS games don't need installing and he can play with his mates, comfortably sitting in the lounge chairs instead of crowding around the tiny monitor. The games he chooses are cheaper and he pays for them with birthday/xmas money or what he can save.

Horses for courses though, and when I get my next machine I'll probably be under pressure to get the games that this old girl can't run so I'll be back to square one. :D

I do think that PC games are far more educational than PS games. Pharoah and Age of Empires II for example are a hell of a lot of fun for the kids and they're learning while playing. Our boy was telling the teacher all about Ancient Egypt when it was their class topic last year. He's like a walking encyclopaedia on that subject now.

OK, I'll wrap up...

godfather
03-07-2002, 06:40 PM
Having never had serious games (apart from Flight Sim-Combat Edition, which is not a game!!) that may all change for me now that I am about to be fortunate enough to be the proud owner of MOHAA (Thanks PC World)

I am terrified what SWMBO will do to me if I am caught doing anything apart from earning a living on this keyboard..............<ouch>

Elwin Way
03-07-2002, 08:13 PM
Just wondering how likely a PS2 with a 40Gb hard drive, network card and Linux is going to cause death to a PC...

robo
03-07-2002, 09:12 PM
That is something I want to look into. The Linux PS2 as a PC substitute. Might be a story yet.
robo.

Steve Askew
03-07-2002, 11:25 PM
i wonder how stable X-Box will be? after all it will be running windows won't it? :-)

Elwin Way
04-07-2002, 12:14 AM
Wanna know what's going on already with Linux on PS2?

Found out here (http://playstation2-linux.com/softwaremap/allgroups.php). They are porting Quake!!!

Basically, as it stands now, there's not much you can't do on a Linstation that you can on a PC....

godfather
04-07-2002, 12:16 AM
As Bruce said earlier in this thread

"The difference with consoles is that eveything is a known quantity. There is no variation in hardware or software to support and hence bug test for. Period."

So with unchanging hardware and no fiddling with settings and software, quite stable thanks...

Biggles
04-07-2002, 09:40 AM
>So with unchanging hardware and no fiddling with settings and software, quite stable thanks...

You know what they've created by putting Linux on the locked hardware platform of the PS2?

The Apple Mac. :^O :^O

Elwin Way
04-07-2002, 12:06 PM
Not true :P

The differences are:

1- It's Linux, not a closed OS. Ok I know OSX is based on Unix or somethiing, but its different.

2- Sony have only locked out the copy protection from the os. Otherwise, you have access to it all. Okay, it will still only read PS2 CD's, but there's still the network card, so you should stil be able to download your MP3s to your PS2 and have an all nighter!

3- the PS2 crashes less often (and looks way cooler than a Mac). Admitedly, I have crashed a PS2, and without the need for Linux... but I have found Macs easier to crash.

:D

Shroeder
04-07-2002, 05:21 PM
Having just browsed this energetic discussion, the one question that no-one asked before giving you the benefit of their collective wisdom is...

"Who will be using the console"

Example, if you've got *little* kids like I have, then a Gamecube has better games, whereas the PS has better games for *big* kids.

Just a thought :D

Dylan
05-07-2002, 01:13 AM
Get a PS2!

No hassles, no installation, no registry to stuff up, no 'blue screens of death', no crashes, no viruses, no patches to install and most products go through a lot of beta testing so there isn't very many bugs.

Plus you get
- 5.1 DTS sound
- 128 bit graphics engine
- DVD play-back
- Latest and Greatest Games eg GTA3 (my favourite)
- You won't be out-dated in 6 months

Playstation is old and is loosing support.

Susan B
05-07-2002, 11:38 AM
So Tom, what's the verdict? PS1 or PS2? ;-)

Graham L
05-07-2002, 06:55 PM
If it's so hard to make a decision, I could probably locate a Commodore 64 for you. Be a lot cheaper ---and lots of free software available now . ]:)