PDA

View Full Version : modem strings in new pc

tweak\'e
02-07-2002, 11:58 AM
just wondering is it comman practice to find the modem 'strung' on a new supermarket pc?

just seen a new (u guess it) PCcompany pc with actrix(standard PCco deal) and the modem was already had a string written in. something along the lines of +ms=v90, ,, ,48000 actrix trying to make modems go slower? PCco trying to fix dodgy modem? or are they just trying to save themselves a call from the cust "my internet keeps disconecting!".

good or bad? u decide ;-)

Elwin Way
02-07-2002, 12:03 PM
Lemme guess- winmodem? Luvly little things they are. So configurable...

-=JM=-
02-07-2002, 02:07 PM
Probably because Actrix is crap IMHO.

Susan B
02-07-2002, 02:19 PM
Oh boy, why doesn't this surprise me?

I'm sorry to say that I've given up on Actrix, they've really gone down the tube over the past 6-9 months.

If the PC Coy are doing that to their modems it is obviously an attempt to overcome the "problems" that Actrix have with their connections.

Hmmm, maybe I should add that string to my modem and see if I get an improvement..... ;-)

godfather
02-07-2002, 02:28 PM
Should we start a "Ban All Winmodems" movement?
(My two spare externals may become collectables...)

Peter Coleman
02-07-2002, 06:24 PM
Hi Tweak'e,I can't see the point of that string.It should only limit the top speed of the modem to 48000bps,still running V90,and as you need quite a good line to get that anyway,why limit it.If the line was bad then they should be putting in the string with "+ms=V34" to slow it down properly to 33600 speeds.Seems a waste of time to me.

Peter

tweak\'e
02-07-2002, 07:02 PM
one small thing......the +ms=v34 dosn't slow the modem down at all. it just makes it hold on better.

Susan B
02-07-2002, 09:26 PM
> (My two spare externals may become collectables...)

Are you giving them away?

Or even selling them??

-=JM=-
02-07-2002, 10:26 PM
> > (My two spare externals may become
> collectables...)
>
> Are you giving them away?
>
> Or even selling them??

I was just about to ask that

Peter Coleman
02-07-2002, 10:31 PM
Hi Tweak'e,the "+ms=V34" does slow the modem down,as I often find this setting has been put in to help a customer keep a connection when they are having problems with dropoffs.The ISP tells them to put this setting in their modem properties to slow the modem down to 33600 max,and as such,due to better error correction at V34 speeds,the connection is motr stable.When I go to fix an internet fault,I often have to remove this setting to get the customers modem to work at full speed again.

Peter

godfather
02-07-2002, 10:36 PM
Form a queue please.....

Sorry

If my ADSL goes awol I need them, as my business is heavily dependant on web/email access, I have a second dedicated phone line just in case....paranoid - who? me?

But hey, they were only about $120 new....but then I used to buy them by the 100 lots a couple of years ago. They have worked on W95,W98, ME and XP.

On the other hand I have this Connexant soft 56k modem, one lady owner, low downloads, never taken above 45k, but has had many crashes and typically less than reliable...

Ahhhhh ADSL.......<voice of Homer Simpson>

tweak\'e
02-07-2002, 10:42 PM
sorry petter but the at the last house we had lots of electic fence click and with the +ms=v34 on we where still downloading at 5k/s on a good day(mp3's & movies)

godfather
02-07-2002, 11:36 PM
v34 has a maximum speed of 33.6kb
+ms=v34 disables v90 and enables v34
Good solid connection at 33.6 could support 5kB downloads with a little bit of compression.

tweak\'e
03-07-2002, 12:33 AM
highly unlikly. downloads i do are normally compressed so theres usually no compression involved. when there is usual hitting 7k/s.

someone did explain it once apon a time. something about useing v34 for error correction? but it dosn't cap the speed. for that you need the other commands.

*Sparky*
03-07-2002, 01:46 AM
Check out the thread below and see if that helps solve the dilemma of what v34 does:
http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=21785

Cheers. :)

Graham L
03-07-2002, 04:25 PM
Could it be that that setting might get you connected quicker? The negotiation between your modem and the ISP's starts at the highest speed available and steps down until they agree. If it's unlikely for *most* people to get the greatest theoretical possible speed, it might save *most* people a bit of time each time they connect.

tweak\'e
03-07-2002, 04:34 PM
well blow me but something around here has just changed as i'm downloading files at 4k (was 2.88 before) and web pages coming in at 9k

will do some testing on a mates pc sometime(he has good lines) and see if the strings slow things down

mutts
05-07-2002, 01:52 PM
same as the brightcom modem they can connect at high speeds but are unreliable above 49333K eg normal modem your cnn is 46k, brightcom on same line conn at 54K, after a few hours online you notice alot of timeouts etc untill eventually it burns out similar to a overclocked cpu.

Avoid these modems they are using untested technology wrong and you are the guin#### pigs.

Paladin

*Note: these modems work in some areas extremley well, it all depends on the line they are working on

8thwonder
15-12-2002, 01:26 AM
I've just come across this site *regarding pccompany.. I purchased a PC from them a year ago..bypass all the hassle,fuss and hardware problems this pc has given me, I always wondered why I kept getting disconnected...I thought of every excuse, ph lines, noisey line, telecom test (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=24141&message=78258&q=pccompany#78258), Ram testing etc etc... and after reading the issues here about pc company I'm flat deck garanteed its a faulty modem!.. and jst my luck waranties expired!

Where does this leave me?... constant disconnection for the rest of my life or can I go about configuring somthing?

Susan B
15-12-2002, 10:22 AM
If you have no plans to go to Jetstream or a fast connection you could treat yourself to an external hardware modem and be done with your problems.

They're easy to transfer to a new machine when you are ready to do so too.

I'm very happy with my Dynalink e-modem model 1456VQE which worked well on the old Win 98 machine and now this Win XP Beast.

Jim B
15-12-2002, 10:45 AM
It does not mean you have a faulty modem.
You will see on this thread that slowing your modem to 33k can overcome these problems, have you tried this.
In extra setting type in +MS=V34 and change max speed to 38400

8thwonder
25-12-2002, 01:55 AM
Yep tried that also Jim...even using different settings supplied at pccompanies support site i.e +ms=v90,,,,,45333

If this carries on much longer I'll go external.

Jim B
26-12-2002, 11:58 PM
If V34 does not work for you then there is no point in trying other settings, the problem lies somewhere else.
Your problem must be something else such as a phone line problem, something in your house creating noise or interference or possibly but unlikely a modem problem itself.

These are some of the things that can cause disconnects.

1 Outlook Express is set to "hangup after sending and receiving". To
check this in Outlook Express go to TOOL > OPTIONS > CONNECTIONS and
ensure "hangup after sending and receiving" is not selected.

2 You have call waiting on your phone line.

3. You are using an extension cord, or a double adapter on the phone
jack. These can cause problems as the more connections between the modem
and the wall cause more static, which modems do not like.

4 Make sure your telephone cord is not close to electrical leads or
electrical equipment.

5. Try unplugging your telephone or any other device attached to the
back of the modem.

6. Try unplugging other telephone equipment in the house. It's possible
to have too many devices on your phone lines or extension. Try
unplugging extra phones, fax machines, and answering machines to see if
the disconnects stop.
Home security systems and Sky digital which have phone line connections can
also cause problems.

7. Someone in your house picks up a phone extension that is on the same
line as your modem. This will interrupt your modem connection in much
the same way as call waiting does.

8. You are using older modem drivers. Try going to your modem
manufacturers web site and downloading the latest drivers.

9. There is significant line noise that is interrupting the modem
connection. Even if you can't hear noise on the telephone there could
still be enough to disrupt the modem.
Electric fences are a source of noise which can cause modem problems.

HadO
27-12-2002, 12:52 AM
If you have call-waiting put *52 in front of the number you are dialling - this will disable call waiting for the duration of the call.

Also check your modem settings to make sure it will not disconnect after so many mins of idle - right click on your internet connection shortcut under "dialup networking" or "network and dialup connections" in control panel and look at "options" tab or under the modem properties in other versions of Windows and look for check that "hang-up after ... mins of idle" is set to never. :p

roofus
27-12-2002, 07:25 AM
I have a connexant modem.
and about 5 of my friends have computers with winmodems. None of us have ever had any problems with time outs etc etc.
Big deal if a winmodem uses the cpu to do it's calculations. It still works on the same principal of modulating and demodulating the signal. The only time a winmodem might crap out is if the CPU load was 100%. But i'm sure winmodems reserve a little bit for themselves.

Other thread comments that externals are better than internals is also crap. Yes this may have been the case in the days of 2400 Baud. But not these days.

If someone is having constant timeouts with their connection (and they have the latest drivers) then it is more than likely their line.
Indeed some problems can be caused by using the incorrect driver with a modem, and i reckon a lot of problems are caused by this also.