PDA

View Full Version : Web Editors

GeoffW
01-07-2002, 10:13 PM
Hi

I am thinking of buying a web editor program and am thinking of MS Frontpage but what I need to know is can anyone please tell me if MS FrontPage will allow you to make it so you can set up a search box and link to an Access file so a visitor to your site can do a search. Or would you need a program like Dreamweaver

Thank You

Geoff Wootton

Elwin Way
01-07-2002, 10:22 PM
I wouldn't recommend Frontpage as it is heavily geared towards Microsoft stuff.

I am a Web Site Engineer and I use: Dreamweaver, TopStyle Pro, and notepad mainly.

However, if you do a search on the net, you'll probably find at least a dozen free ones (or cheap) that will suit your needs.

Heather P
01-07-2002, 10:28 PM
If you are new to web sites - make a vanilla one first before attempting server side scripting languages to access databases.

mark c
03-07-2002, 02:41 PM
I've used Arachophilia (careware) and I find it easy to use and stable and all that and free.

Poppa John
03-07-2002, 05:42 PM
Heather P. Are you talking about computers or icecream. ]:) ]:) Seriously tho, what's a "vanilla" (apart from the flavour!) Newbie Poppa John

Biggles
03-07-2002, 05:50 PM
Heather merely means start off simple - and provding a web-based search of a back-end database isn't entry-level web design.

Heather P
03-07-2002, 06:28 PM
There are a number of languages available for use on a website. HTML is the core language.

To access databases requires another language - either ASP (knowledge of VBScript or Javascript required) or Cold Fusion.

All of these can be written in Notepad although other programs will write them for you.

If you don't know HTML learn it first. Other languages extend on this knowledge.

Graham L
03-07-2002, 06:58 PM
The best procedure is: Make one first. Then throw it away. Doing that one teaches you how not to do it. If you have planned to throw it away, it doesn't hurt, and it stops you wasting time trying to make a bad design work. When you do the second one, it is much easier. Make it work. Then add the clever stuff, one clever thing at a time.