PDA

View Full Version : Scared !!!!!!

Happy Harry
01-07-2002, 09:12 PM
I'm !!!!SCARED!!!!

I know its only an hour and a half since I posted the following, but if all you supremly clever and erudite people can't help, what chance does a struggling PCer like me have

Is that enough sucking up and grovelling ????????

Hi Guys,

""Tonite I went into Explorer to locate a file and the following happens

Open "EXPLORER" ----"TOOLS"----"FIND"-----"FILES or FOLDERS"----
Breifly (2--3 secs) the "FIND ALL FILES " window opens and then promptly closes. The same thing happens from the START--- FIND--etc
option
I am running WIN 98SE on a P3 500Mhz 128meg RAM
There has be no additions or deletions of software or hardware for a couple of weeks and I am at a loss
Any ideas would be greatly apreciated""

*Sparky*
01-07-2002, 09:55 PM
Hi ya formerly happy harry,

Although I dont have the answer on the tip of my tongue, to save time as your desperate, I'll help you find the answer.

This subject has come up before, so either use the F1 search function, or Microsoft Knowledge Base.

Its fairly common so dont panic. It happened to me once on ME until MS Knowledge Base told me how to fix.

Cheers and happy hunting happy harry.

Susan B
01-07-2002, 10:00 PM
First question: do you run an anti-virus? If not, you can do an online virus scan here (http://housecall.antivirus.com/).

Do you have AdAware? If not you can download it from here (http://63.217.29.135/). Install it and run it to see if it picks up something dodgy.

Chris Wilson
01-07-2002, 10:35 PM
Hey this is weird... I replied to your last thread, but the reply has disapeared! Maybe the problem exsists in front of the monitor........

Anyways........ i had a similar prob
when i opened this one particualar folder the wee finding torch with come up flashing its confused ray of hope from left to right, and eventually the content of the folder (15,000 images) became visable. I have a '98 system too, twice the ram but FAR too much running in the background Opening this folder was a good thing to do before making a drink, or making that long tedious phone call......

Does this sound familiar??
The solution was to cut the content of the folder up into subfolders, and make it small enough for windows explorer to manage.

Does the problem exsist for all folders, or just one or two in particular?

Chris Wilson
01-07-2002, 10:38 PM
ignore the last post..
your prob is obviously much deeper than that.

Happy Harry
03-07-2002, 05:21 PM
Thanks Guys

Further to ""Scared""
I am running Norton Internet Security V2.5 if that gives any furthr clues.
Since I posted this I rember removing FIND FAST from my STARTUP but have since reinstated from the recycle bin to no effect. Am Still at a Loss

Happy Harry
03-07-2002, 05:32 PM
Cheers Susan

Further to ""Scared""
I am running Norton Internet Security V2.5 if that gives any furthr clues.
Since I posted this I remember removing FIND FAST from my STARTUP but have since reinstated from the recycle bin to no effect. Am Still at a Loss.
Have downloaded/Run from the 2 links as suggested, and still no joy.

Will check out the MS site and see if I can find anything.

Thanks again

Happy Harry

godfather
03-07-2002, 05:33 PM
I am sure the two are related, removing fastfind and your search problem, but removing the shortcut from startup should have been safe enough - it was just the shortcut you removed?

Not experienced with '98 but if it has sfc (system file checker) it would be worthwhile running.