PDA

View Full Version : ISP woes

Elwin Way
01-07-2002, 10:07 PM
First, I'd like to know if anybody else has been having problems with Slingshot in last month or so.

Due to difficulties in establishing DUN connection, getting disconnected every half an hour, getting no internet sites in NZ (all o/seas sites load ok hence my absence from PF1) and administration problems, I am now no longer using Slingshot as my ISP, and can no longer recommend them.

I have switched to Quicksilver for now, however I have not been able to get speeds any higher than 1.3k (my usual with Slingshot was 4.2 - 5.7k)

Is anyone else with Quicksilver and what do you think of them?

Incidentally, when we signed up for Quicksilver over the phone, we spoke to a person who had previously worked for Slingshot (now working for Quicksilver) and basically said that Slingshot sucked....

*Sparky*
01-07-2002, 10:48 PM
Hi Elwin,

Signed up with Slingshot about 2 weeks ago on recommendations of fellow F1 users and had no problems. Always connect first time, no disconnects and good speeds. (4.2 - 5.7)

I'm in Christchurch. I see your in Porirua. That might be the difference.

PS. Did they say why Slingshot sucked?

Elwin Way
02-07-2002, 01:17 AM
Err, no. Could be a grudge I guess. Regardless, it's not good customer relations to have ex-employees spouting off.. so something must have happended or Slingshot don't know the meaning of customer service (which I doubt).

Anyway, I do suspect that I am an isolated case - due to the nature of my business I need a good connection at all times. As it is, changing ISPs has caused enough headaches, without having to worry about relocating my web site (arrrgh.. can't wait to change all those links...) amongst others..

Is funny tho how I have recommended Slingshot for so long and then all this happens as a way of thanks....

Stumped Badly
02-07-2002, 01:47 AM
I've just dumped Quicksilver after months of poor performance.
They admitted they were having bandwidth problems and were upgrading, but after 6 months of poor download speeds & constant disconnections I've gone back to xtra & it is humming along nicely.
Dowload speeds 3x Quicksilver & no dropped connections.

*Sparky*
02-07-2002, 01:49 AM
Biting the hand that feeds them eh? ?:|

I had to use there email helpdesk just after signing up and got a response to correct their mistake within 4 hours. Might have fluked a quiet time.

Been connected tonight since 5:45 No disconnects. :)

I think I'm single again though. I'll find out when I eventually get to bed.

Cheers.

Steve Askew
02-07-2002, 09:27 AM
Hi Elwin, I was just going to post about slingshot but i see you beat me to it lol.
I don't believe you are an isolated case as myself & 2 friends in Upper Hutt are experinceing the same sort of problems :-(

The following is the corraspondence between myself & slingshot over the last couple of days.

To: Slingshot Helpdesk
Subject: attention Francis

Hi, I believe you have spoken to our friends down the road regarding not being able to establish connection to slingshot, Their username is lance0.
We too are having difficulty when dialling up on a very frequent basis,EG: It took 4 times tonite before I could connect so that I could send this email & getting disconnected often as well.

When my pc dials up your server it goes through the handshake & does the verifying username & password & then I get the message "UNABLE TO ESTABLISH CONNECTION".

Our pc has a connextant modem.
Sometimes when it looks impossible to connect to slingshot I have used the i4free dialup number & apart from the engaged signal my pc connects first time.
I have also done some tests using a mates paradise dialup & connect 1st time .
I am therefore convinced that the problem is at the slingshot end.
I look forward to your reply.

Regards Steve askew.

their Reply as follows.

Dear Customer,

Please try one of the following strings to limit the speed of your modem, this should help with stabilitly.

For 56k flex modems try:

Forcing 44kbps: +ms=56,1,1200,44000
Forcing 42kbps: +ms=56,1,1200,42000
Forcing 40kbps: +ms=56,1,1200,40000
For 56k V90 modems try:
Forcing 44kbps: +ms=12,1,1200,44000
Forcing 42kbps: +ms=12,1,1200,42667
Forcing 38kbps: +ms=12,1,1200,38000
If your modem has problems accepting the above strings, try:
Forcing 44kbps: +ms=v90,1,1200,44000
Forcing 42kbps: +ms=v90,1,1200,42667
Forcing 38kbps: +ms=v90,1,1200,38000
And so forth, down to:
Forcing 33.6kbps: +ms=11,1,1200,33600
If your modem has problems accepting the above string, try:
Forcing 33.6kbps: +ms=v34,1,1200,33600

To input the settings follow the instructions below.

Open my computer
Open dial-up networking
Right click on your Slingshot connection
Left click on propertities
Click on configure
Click on connection
Click on advanced
Add string to extra settings

If these strings do not work it is likely that v.90 drivers are not installed, please update or reinstall your modem drivers.

If you continue to have problems accessing or connecting to the Internet please call our Helpdesk on (09) 915-2374 or 0508 Slingshot to discuss the matter.

Best Regards,
Slingshot Helpdesk

My Reply to slingshot.

Sent: Monday, July 01, 2002 7:46 PM
Subject: Re: attention Francis

Dear helpdesk ,
Can you please explain why I dont experience connection problems when using the i4free number??? apart from having to wait for a free line.
Also another friend username : khanso is also experienceing the same problems trying to log on to slingshot.

steve askew

& another Reply from slingshot this morning.

Thanks for your email

Hi Steve

The reason is that i4free uses older technology which a lot of older modems find more compitable to connect to.

Regards
Slingshot Helpdesk.

I have a modem that is V90 & my system is 16months old,I am also running winXp & according to conextant winXp has the latest drivers.

Cheers Steve Askew

PS: I would be interested to hear from other slingshot users in the Wellington area that are haveing similar problems. email me at askewfam@slingshot.co.nz

Steve Askew
02-07-2002, 09:30 AM
PS: My brother-in-law lives in Christchurch & has no problems with slingshot.
So I'm wondering if it is a wellington problem only?

cadifan
02-07-2002, 11:16 AM
Slingshot has had a few problems connecting to certain servers (specifically ICONZ), or so they told me. I asked for a free month and got it! Seems to working like a rocket again. (Dial-up rocket of course) :-)

Elwin Way
02-07-2002, 12:11 PM
Thanks for that Steve. I'm glad it's not just me having a bad month.

I can verify the fact that modem strings do not have to be changed. The reason being, the first 10 months with Slingshot have been a breeze. The 2 have be getting progressively worse. It started with problems connecting, and ended with all sorts.

Unless of course Slingshot have been majorly changing their hard, progressively over the last 3 months.

Dunno, I fired off a couple of emails mainly because Im not happy with Quicksilver's speed (have so far peaked at 3.2kB/s and average at 1.0kB/s) so I am waiting to hear back.

Pete O\'Neil
02-07-2002, 12:27 PM
you mentioned above that you are using a Conexant modem, i am also a slingshot user (Auckland) and had nothing but problems with my Conexant modem, but when it started causing my PC to freeze i ditched it for an older US Robotics Courier and have had no probs.
Personally i will never touch a Conexant modem or winmodem ever again. Everyone that i talk to with internet probs have winmodems, i'm not saying this is the reason but its definatly worth considering.

*Sparky*
03-07-2002, 12:38 AM
Hi Pete,

What OS are you using? When I switched from ME to XP, my conexant modem played up. So did quite a few others.

Problem solved by using a generic driver called "Fujitsu LB RWmodem V.90 56K E"

Try that. Should increase performance.

:)

dipstick01
03-07-2002, 01:57 AM
Yeah I have just dumped quiksilver too after finding the speed dropping more and more. In the end it was taking up to 5 minutes to load the pressF1 page and I have decided enough was enough. Since switching I have now got the speed back and am happy again.

Steve Askew
03-07-2002, 08:39 AM
Hey sparky, I'm using s conextant modem & winXp (although 2 friends having same probs are running win98).
Is this "Fujitsu LB RWmodem V.90 56K E" generic driver you mentioned already a part of winXp? or do i need to search for it on the web?

Hey Elwin what brand of modem are you using??

Cheers steve

Elwin Way
03-07-2002, 02:34 PM
I'm running a (now) generic winmodem.

What gets me is the ISP response of automatically saying its your fault. The fact is, it worked fine before, I have not changed anything, so why should it fail now?

Here's what I got back from Slingshot today:

Dear Customer, <------actually I'm not anymore

Thank you for your email. Your query was about being disconnected while online. <------- see original email below - it was a bit more than this

Please check your disconnection settings in Internet Explorer & Outlook Express, instructions provided below. <--- I just happen to use Opera and Eudora...

Internet Explorer. (Windows 98/Windows 2000)

Click on Tools
Click on Internet Options
Click on Connection
Select your dial up connection
Click on Settings
Click on Advanced
Ensure you have no disconnection settings ticked. <----I don't, and never have

Internet Explorer (Windows ME)
Click on Tools
Click on Internet Options
Click on Connection
Select your dial up connection
Click on Settings
Click on Properties
Click on Dialling
Ensure you have no disconnection settings ticked.

Outlook Express

Click on Tools
Click on Options
Click on Connection
Remove tick from "hang up after sending & receiving" <--- tick is never in there / I don't use this anyway

Please also ensure your modem is connected directly to the phone line, please remove any double adaptors and extension cords if possible. <--- need extension cord which has not caused probs up until now

Other causes of frequent disconnection:

* modem - you may need to update your modem drivers/firmware - contact your modem vendor or manufacturer <---I always use V6 generic winmodem drivers which are later than manufacturers

* phone line - if there is noise, especially ground noise, on the line, or any exchange problems - contact Telecom faults on 120 to have your line tested <--- no problems here

Lastly, call waiting may disconnect your connection with the 4 beep alert - this can be disabled on a call by call basis by adding *52, in front of the connection number when connecting. <--- don't have call waiting

Hopefully this email will help you resolve any disconnection issues, if you are unable to resolve this matter please call our Helpdesk. <--- I'm deaf. I will be sending email...

Yours faithfully,
Helpdesk
9007 <---- what's this?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, 2 July 2002 1:31 a.m.
To: helpdesk@slingshot.co.nz
Subject: Account

Hi,

I recently sent an email outlining my reasons for concern with my connection.

They were:
1- difficulty in establishing a connection
2- getting disconnected approximately every half an hour
3- unavailability of New Zealand domains ie overseas pages load fine but NZ pages timeout constantly.

I also expressed my disappointment with the way my account was being
handled. I sent a new direct debit form with new bank account details. The payment has been sitting in the account for the last 5 weeks. However, I find my account suspended after 1 email stating you did not receive payment.

I have signed up with a new ISP as having an internet connection is vital
to my business.

However, I will be willing to resolve this issue and remain a customer of
Slingshot if the following conditions are met:

1- Full explanation as to why I had connection problems (that my new and back-up ISP do not have) and what is/will be done to resolve them.
2- Accounts details to be sorted out with confirmation of the correct bank
account number.
3- A guarantee that in future, should problems arise, they will be fully
communicated to myself, even if the purpose is to let me know the problem exists.

Thank you.

Elwin Way

Will be sending another e-mail. Meanwhile still have yet to hear back from Quicksilver about slow network.

Maybe I'm not making myself clear enough? What do you think?

*Sparky*
03-07-2002, 06:43 PM
Hi Steve,

The fujitsu driver was on the list under the heading "generic" when you go to the Hardware Update Wizard under the driver tab of modem properties in Device manager. Select "Instal from the list" then "Dont search"

Hope that helps.

Steve Askew
03-07-2002, 06:44 PM
Hi Elwin & anyone watching this story unfold,
My next plan of attack is to try an ISA 56k-v90 modem I have, In my friend down the roads computer & see if they still get the same problems connecting & staying connected.
I can't try it in my current computer as it doesn't have any ISA slots :-(

Also on another note ,4 weeks ago I signed up another friend with slingshot & we filled out the refer a friend form which entitles me to 1month for free & when I asked them yesterday what has happened to my 1month credit? they say it will take 4-5 weeks to proccess.
I think that is poor condsidering we are supposed to be in the computer age.
cheers Steve
PS:will post here the results of the modem swap.

Elwin Way
03-07-2002, 08:12 PM
I bet I know what the result will be...

Anyway, it's not just Slingshot passing the buck. Its a phenomenum that most, if not all, ISPs suffer from. The problem is very rarely with them - it's either the users modem, IE settings or phone line.

I am think very seriously about taking action - I mean I personally, am sick and tired of having to put up with the crap and poor service that ISPs put on us. Sure, they have problems, but even that is so well known that you'd think they have some sort of contigency plans. I mean, isn't customer satisfaction worth shite anymore?

We pay good money, so expect a good service. Imagine going to a shoe shop to take back a pair of shoes that are falling apart after 2 days. What would you do if the shop assistant claimed that the reason the shoes are falling apart all of a sudden is because you are wearing the wrong type of socks?

I know my connection problem with Slingshot does not reside at my end. I have tested, compaired, and reinstalled. Nothing changed. So why do they tell me it is? Why won't they acknowledge it?

Any PCWorld gurus (Juhaa?) care to have a shot at explaining this? :D

Anyway, enuff rambling and time for action.

Who's with me on this? ;\

Chris Wilson
03-07-2002, 08:38 PM
On the bench behind me is a '98se computer i just rebuilt for a friend. Her internet account is with slingshot, so that is what is being used for the windows updates etc.. Its great, and maybe their IS something in the pass the buck concept. I'm in Chch, using the 1 year old phonelines of telstra. The computers owner has no probs even on a telecon line in Redcliffs, just out of central chch.

Something else i note, Slingshot are only in the main centers, i am directly connected to telstras central exchange, so i figure i have a fairly "direct " line. You may not be so close to their point of presence.

Conclusion, slingshot in CHCH, or Redcliffs is fine, in Porirua, perhaps not the best idea. The issue is clearly complex, and there is no "best ISP for all" award to be handed out, or worst for that matter.

What we need is greater detail. What works well where? What weaknesses exsist? that sort of thing. This can be achieved only by balanced discussion.

BTW cable-telstra-clear-paradise help sux when things start to fail
see here (http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~pugwash/downtime.htm)

Elwin Way
04-07-2002, 12:50 AM
I'm not quite sure how it works, but I envisage that Slingshot have 'points of contact' - 1 in Welly, 1 in CHC and so on. Would these be servers? So what happens when one of these points is not working properly? It would appear from network traffic that things are well, but as Steve Askew, his friends and I can confirm, there is a problem at the Porirua branch.

It comes back to this: It worked before, I havn't changed anything, so why should the problem be automatically mine? My PC doesn't mess around with it's own settings. It knowns better than that!

Steve Askew
04-07-2002, 05:25 AM
My friends & myself dial-in from upper hutt ,But I guess we all dial in to the same point of contact in wellington.
Shame we can't email every slingshot user in wellington & find out if they are happy or unhappy with their connections.
cheers Steve

Chris Wilson
04-07-2002, 05:40 AM
Ok, so apart from modem issues, it would appear that in AK it is Ok, in wellington slingshot is appalling, and in CHCH it is fine

Anyone want to offer info on other centers, or info that goes against these conclusions????????

Elwin Way
04-07-2002, 12:12 PM
> My friends & myself dial-in from upper hutt ,But I
> guess we all dial in to the same point of contact in
> wellington.

Yea, sorry I should have said "...the Wellington point..." not the Porirua.

> Shame we can't email every slingshot user in
> wellington & find out if they are happy or unhappy
> with their connections.
> cheers Steve

Maybe we can. ]:)

Steve Askew
04-07-2002, 10:14 PM
Tryed my isa modem in my mates computer tonight & we couldn't get into his slingshot mail so we replaced his modem & still couldn't access mail.
Then my other friend rang about 6pm & said that when she was logged on slingshot via internet explorer that she kept getting a prompt to enter her password when trying to get into slingshot mail.
strange to get that message when login & email password are the same.
I tried to access my slingshot mail while connected to the net & go the same password promtp too.
the following is the message from outlook express.
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'pop3.slingshot.co.nz (1)', Server: 'pop3.slingshot.co.nz', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR authorization failed', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

I rang my other mate & guess what ? yep he was getting the same message :-(
I wonder what bullsh*t answer they will give for this ?

cheers Steve
PS: I may have to send my complaint by nz post if this email problem doesn't come right.

Chris Wilson
04-07-2002, 10:27 PM
i have had my friends "slingshot" computer on the bench behind my online many times today in CHCH, without a hitch.......

Indeed your problem seems confined to the wellington area.

*Sparky*
04-07-2002, 11:21 PM
Hi Steve,

Slingshot are having trouble tonight.

Wifey collected the mail today ok, but tonight it keeps askong for my password and I'm getting the same message from OE. Suspect it will come right soon. :_|

Cheers.

Waldorf
05-07-2002, 12:15 AM
We have been with xtra for over 12 months mostly troublefree but about six months ago just started failing to make a connection.

Xtra help was useless and sent us off to get a new modem. However a friend of a friend got me to try a test number and it worked so life went on .

I had got to see the local phone service agent a few times during this period and even he had a dabble without success but then he turned u
p one day with one of the few Telecom men who know their systems workings.

It transpired that Telecom was in the process of upgrading its switching gear and in the Kiwi share spirit, had chosen to install cheaper less advanced technology to double the inputs to their switch gear.
Our modem didn't like this new technology.
WE could connect to Auckland ( from Taumarunui ) OK to the test number through the old single cards but couldn't connect to the district switching station in Hamilton with the new double cards.

After checking the call routing, it was discovered our connection went to Hamilton, was redircted to Taupo (our ancient default centre for the old hand exchanges. duh!) found no gear to answer it so was sent back to Hamilton to be answered - apparently modems don't like this.....

After a quick call to Hamilton ,a minor computer routing instruction and hey presto, our local connection speeds jumped about 20% and we now have a regular dial up connection again.

So don't be too quick to slam your ISP, they are only users too .

Elwin Way
05-07-2002, 01:22 AM
Hmmm , actually that's what happened when I switched ISPs. I Couldn't access (wrong password) so I presumed that they had done that because of my account problems...

Waldorf
05-07-2002, 01:51 AM
If you are paranoid and can't access your mail from your ISP, don't worry,
just ask Uncle Sam's NSA, they've already read it for you - just ask them...

unclesam
05-07-2002, 11:22 AM
We do not read your emails.
p.s Waldorf as you call yourself (now) we apologise but you will have to resubmit your email applications to subscribe to "big'n'bouncy" and "The Offical David Hasselhof Fan Club" after one of the technicians accidently erased them while trying to copy and paste onto his own application. We apologise for this yet once again may I catergorically deny any capability to read personal emails.

mutts
05-07-2002, 12:50 PM
ok, lots of replies. from what i've read it seems to be a problem with the local wgtn server, could be a range of problems hardware or software.

The easiest way to test it for them for their routers etc is to do a tracert from the dos command prompt.

This will tell you if there are any problems with your modem and their main server , look for nodes that have a ping over 300 (extremly large pings will result in timeouts and theirfor your info will not be sent, this isa the most common reason for slow conn speed and disconnections). I had the same sort of probs with xtra about a week ago and found there was a router that needed to be reset. basically it was timing out when getting to one point

for a graphical interface to achieve the same result, download traceip from the internet it will give you who each node is registered to.

Xtra had been unaware of this problem untill i called them, once i gave them the nodes ip address they tested it and it was fine from their end. so they said I was imagining it lol. so i sent them a copy of the window, they apologised and the problem was fixed within 1/2 an hour

Telecom lines at best are shadey in NZ. Connextant is the chip manufacturer, similar to rockwell. the only chipset that we have discovered not to work in low quaility areas is the motorola series.

ISA modems are more robust and like comparing a holden station wagon to a mx5. They tend to be reliable and go on anything and will keep going for ages lol.

For those of you in areas outside downtown city centers, when you upgrade your modem next get a dynalink rural modem. these have been specifically designed for telecoms crappy lines in NZ. Remember most of the modems in NZ have been designed for more modern countries and drivers rehashed and created for telecom standards.

Yes our lines are suceptable to temp and weather changes. Telecom and most ISP's will not acknoledge this, but interferance on cables is old as the hills, eg if you have power to close to a data cable you get interferance etc...... with that in mind, check around your pc for any devices not actually for the pc, eg heaters or fans etc..... these could be interfering with it in more ways than one. serperate scanners and printers from the pc, they gave you a 2 meter cable for a reason :)

I have had modems that have connected and would not transmit data that turned out to be a faulty hard drive (another was a software conflict between to bits of software nothing to do with the internet or the modem), anything is possible, its a matter of eliminating what it ain't.

This is a big area to have knoledge on, and no offence to most isp's helpdesk staff, but 99 times out 100 they have no idea of what you are talking about and half the time they are not a tech. they are mass produced and the helpdesk staff have to close the call within a certain time. they need the stats saying that they have successfully closed the fault, whether or not its resolved. this is good for management but sucks for the customer. but because of the price war between isp's etc and every one wanting to have the cheapest price they can't afford the fellas that know what they are talking about. when xtra was around $50 a month the helpdesk called you back to make sure the prob was resolved.

This has all happened cause we cut their budget basically. so for those who say thay pay good money for the service, prices should be increasing with inflation not decreasing, therefor you are only getting what you pay for

Paladin

Steve Askew
05-07-2002, 04:11 PM
Hi Sparky, I tried to find that fujitsu driver , but it wasn't available in list of Generic modems & the only fujitsu driver I could find didn't sound like the one you described :-(

I have now sent the following email to the slingshot helpdesk hoping they will followup on my challenge.

Dear helpdesk, I am getting annoyed with the service I am recieving from slingshot or should I say the lack of it.
Not only do my friends & I have trouble getting connected to slingshot, but now the mail server is rejecting our passwords too! (Don't give me the story about V.90 modems as i already have one with the latest drivers & so does lance01)
Last night from about 7pm & it went on for over12 hrs,My self & 2 friends, khanson & lance01 could not access our emails,please see attached pics.
I challenge you to email your other subscribers in the wellington-upper hutt-porrirua area & see if they are having probs getting connected & staying connected.
If you have a look at the following link you will see we are not alone on this problem.
http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=21785&start=0&msRange=15

Cheers Steve Askew.

Waldorf
05-07-2002, 05:02 PM
Uncle sam

You guys are cheap if you have to heist stuff from my David Hasselhoff Fan Club with your budget of trillions... about as cheap as all these people whining about their budget ISPs. You are only talking about the cost of a couple of cafe lattes each month and most of your problems will disappear. Get real and go with a credible service.

Rod J
05-07-2002, 05:41 PM
Hi all,

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth. I'm with Slingshot in Hamilton and late yesterday I couldn't access my email account too. It wouldn't accept my password, although I managed to log on to Slingshot no problem, first time as usual. Changed the password but that made no difference. Diconnected then reconnected OK, but still no email account access :( Tried again this afternoon (4 pm) and all is fine again :) Don't know what the problem was.

Chris Wilson
05-07-2002, 06:06 PM
Waldorf,,
I see your point that you get what you pay for.. but having had IHUG ultra, i know that choosing the right ISP must be based on more than paying lots of money. As consumers we have the responsibility to compare pricing and quality.
This includes "whining about [our] budget ISPs"

Steve Askew
05-07-2002, 07:39 PM
hi waldorf, if you read the following article that can be found at www.slingshot.co.nz you will see that they offer a credible service.

About Slingshot

Brought to you by CallPlus Ltd, the same company who delivered free Internet access to some 150,000 New Zealanders last year with i4free, you can be confident that we have the resources to meet our commitment of providing a reliable Internet service at fantastic value for money.

We chose the name "Slingshot" from the story of David and Goliath - with us being David, and Goliath being the large monopolistic ISPs, owned by multi-national telecommunications companies. We are the underdogs, but with your continued support, we can get better and better.

Slingshot has been specifically engineered for savvy Internet users wanting a fast and reliable service with the option of paying for skilled customer service over the telephone only as they need it.

cheers Steve

Waldorf
05-07-2002, 07:56 PM
Steve

So why are so many people not happy. You've all spent thousands on your computer but seem to want to have the cheapest ISP.

To me its like having a sportscar but running it on kamikazi tyres - they do the job most of the time but....

roofus
05-07-2002, 08:03 PM
I used to be with Slingshot, last year when i lived in chch, they sucked. I could never get a connect above 33.2kb, but when i'd connect to my parents ihug connection i could achieve 55kb, i told them about this but they really didn't want to listen so i changed to another cheapy (which i won't disclose because if i told you, you'd all go there and it wouldn't be good anymore)
anyway it's interesting to note, i also have a conexant winmodem.
maybe slingshot just hates connexant.

suppose you could call them player haters

Steve Askew
05-07-2002, 08:05 PM
Yes but on the other hand,if i bought a new toyota should i expect it to breakdown more than a new BMW ??
cheers Steve

Waldorf
05-07-2002, 08:13 PM
Yes

roofus
05-07-2002, 08:15 PM
well you would if it was a mitsubishi. as for a BMW, i wouldn't imagine you'd expect the breakdowns to occur.

Waldorf
05-07-2002, 08:23 PM
I'm not out to promote any particular service but in our capitalist system, generally the more you pay, the better the quality.

And yes, I know there are exceptions, like your trusty old Toyota.

Elwin Way
05-07-2002, 08:39 PM
> So why are so many people not happy.

That, my dear Watson, is what we all want to know!

> You've all
> spent thousands on your computer but seem to want to
> have the cheapest ISP.

Correction. My computer happens to be an 'ancient' laptop - PI 266mHz, 32mB RAM, 3Gb hard drive. The display doesnt work and the battery is kaput. I paid nothing for it. If it wasn't given to me, I would be without a computer (and admittedly without ISP Woes). So I did a little busking (hey GP I play guitar too!) on the corner and raked up enough 20 cent pieces to buy a cheapo second hand 15" monitor.

Simply put - I cannot afford anything over $20 /mth for internet access. When I joined Slingshot, I was promised a good connection at the cheapest rates. And that's what I got. Up untill last month.

I'm whinging 'cos I reckon I should still get a good connection.

Elwin Way
05-07-2002, 10:59 PM
Incidentally, as I mentioned in a post that has disappeared under flotsam and jetsam already, I have a questionare that I would like everybody in the whole wide world, no - well just as may people as possible, to fill in.

It is about ISPs in New Zealand and I will be using the results to benefit the end users (US!)

Cheers

Elwin Way
05-07-2002, 11:06 PM
OK, I'll stop being a smart-ass now and give you the URL to it... :8}

It's at this page (http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/ejnmare/ispcom.htm).

Wanders off muttering something about an edit button...

Steve Askew
06-07-2002, 08:15 AM
Elwin,I have done the questionaire, Perhaps you should make a new posting on press F1 pointing to your URL as not everyone will be watching this posting.

cheers Steve

PS: Here is slingshots reply to my friend regarding not being able to access email for over 12 hours.

Thank you for emailing the helpdesk.

Hi

We have been having attacks on our mail servers since last night, and for security reasons, have disabled them. As soon as we can identify the source of the attacks, and ensure that they will not compromise our network, we will then be able to re-enable the servers.

The email server is now back up but there will be delays in downloading email due to the backlog.

Thank you for your patience.

Best Regards

The Slingshot Team

Hey Elwin that wasn't you trying to get your mail was it , hehe :-(

Elwin Way
06-07-2002, 03:38 PM
> Hey Elwin that wasn't you trying to get your mail was it , hehe

ohhh I hope not. Wouldn't be the first time I crashed something...

:D

> Perhaps you should make a new posting on press F1 pointing to your URL as not everyone will be watching this posting.

I did, but it got swamped. I started in a new thread. maybe I'll have to post a reply to it every 12 hours to keep it near the top..

BTW thanks to all those who have responded - I have 8 so far - keep 'em coming!

Steve Askew
07-07-2002, 01:04 PM
well its sunday now & my father has been using my slingshot dialup since yesterday to see if if is any different at his place(5km away from here in central upper hutt)
this is what he has to say about last night.

7.53 ok 7.55 ok
9.09 no connect 4 times
9.18 slow as then page cannot be displayed then dropped off
9.20 another attempt
9.21 success finally on

& on sunday morning.

10.41am sun..unable to establish connection
10.43am verifying etc
unable to est etc
10.44 ok then page cannot be etc..disconnected
10.46 CONNECTED

Hmmmmm Now I'm really starting to believe that slingshot has a problem that they won't acknoledge.
my dad has a lt win modem.
The next test is going to be with an external US Robitics 33.k modem kindly loaned by Terry Porritt.

Cheers Steve Askew

Elwin Way
07-07-2002, 02:37 PM
I'll be waiting for the reslts.. but not with baited breath...

Chris Wilson
07-07-2002, 03:35 PM
I'm hoping someone on this thread knows this.

What is the URL for the "comment on yer ISP" site that someone here put up?
I forgot to bookmark it, and wish to get people to go to it, so there is a more general selection of opinion voiced... if it was only a few vocal pressf1 peoples that go to it, i dont think thats a big enough base to see a true picture.

Rod J
07-07-2002, 04:05 PM
Hi Chris,

I think this is the link you wanted:
http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/ejnmare/ispcom.htm

Chris Wilson
07-07-2002, 06:03 PM
Thankyou Rod J
Thats exactly the link i was looking for!

Elwin Way
07-07-2002, 06:54 PM
Nice to see it's generating interest :D

I have put up a results page (http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/ejnmare/ispres.htm) for those who are interested. Yep, do your maths - only 10 results so far... ;)

Steve Askew
07-07-2002, 08:36 PM
I'm posting this from my friends computer, I have just installed a US Robotics 33.6 Sportster Voice modem & the first time i dialled into slingshot I got the message "unable to establish connection".
The second time I dialled up I was able to connect at 31200bps.
Whilst I was typing this posting I got disconnected :-(
Hardly surprising really as I never thought the problem was with our computers or modems.
I will be emailing the Manager of slingshot asking him to sort it out .

cheers Steve

Steve Askew
07-07-2002, 10:07 PM
I have now sent the following email to slingshot helpdesk.

To The Manager of Slingshot
Dear Sir,
My name is Steve askew & I live in Upper Hutt.
Over the last 2 months Myself & 2 friends (lance01 & khanson ) have had major problems connecting to your Wellington dial-up number.
I have sent quite a few emails to the helpdesk & I have tried all their suggestions,Including telecom checking our phone line ,entering int strings to force modem to connect at slower speed,I have tried both our computers, 1 has a connextant 56k.V90 modem with winXp & our 2nd computer has an ISA 56k.V90 etech modem with Rockwell chipset Running Win98se,both using the latest drivers available,I have tried my slingshot dial-up on my fathers computer running an LT Win modem & win98SE & had the same connection problems,I have also tried tonight a 33.6k external US Robotics sportster voice modem modem on Deon Ross's (lance01) computer with the same connection & disconnection problems.I also know of some one in Porrirua having same problems.
I would urge you to investigate these problems in Wellington before you start losing customers.
I can be contacted at 04-_ _ _ _ _ day & night or email sigma@slingshot.co.nz

Regards Steve Askew.

I hope to hear something back tomorrow.
cheers Steve

Chris Wilson
07-07-2002, 10:41 PM
Go steve!!!
I'm bloody glad people stand up to those who take the $$, and fail to deliver.

I'm glad slingshot are around though, i'm spending my time accessing pressf1 through a dial up computer i'm supposed to give back soon, coz cable paradise is live only the time for me now...
Appparently the level2 team (whatever the **** that is) are going to give me a ring for this "urgent" fault when they can sometime Saturday afternoon.. oops thats gone... No phone call, certainly no visit from the nice telstra man with a new cable-modem in his hand.

What happened to service in this country? ...oops thats gone too SHEESH!!!!

Steve Askew
07-07-2002, 11:01 PM
Hey Chris at least you can get cable, In august 1999 saturn put a leaflet in our mailbox saying "We will be in your area in the next 6-8 weeks"
What a joke, they turned up in may 2001 & dug up our street & laid cables all over the place.
Then the technicians moved in & worked for about 2months in the little green boxes.
Then they were gone & the network they installed in our street has laid idle for over a year now. :-(
& the local telcom exchange doesn't support jetstream
so I guess we are gonna be stuck with dial-up for some time yet.
cheers steve

Chris Wilson
08-07-2002, 12:08 AM
Steve,
Let me get this right.......
*cleaning ears* *rubbing eyes*
Telstra littered the street with green boxes, over 2 years ago, buried the local cables, and havn't gone live yet??????

That definatly goes in the WTF dept!

Here in CHCH they have had the momentum of a small fully loaded train!

tweak\'e
08-07-2002, 12:15 AM
>Then they were gone & the network they installed in our street has laid idle for over a year now

they where just copying telecom. after all telecom dug up a chunk of auckland, installed cable, used it for around 6 months? , then pulled the plug. as far as i know its not in use anymore.

cable hacking anyone? turn it into your own network?

Elwin Way
08-07-2002, 12:29 AM
Heh, that wouldn't be the Ponsonby fiasco would it? I didn't realise that they actually used the cable at all..

I moved outta Auck about three years ago.

Steve Askew
08-07-2002, 08:23 AM
Chris, it would be at least 12mths that telstra cable has been idle here(since techies left) I sent testra an email asking when we would be offered services & after a week they replied saying "they couldnt confirm as they were still negotiating with the utilities company(united networks i think)"
There is an overhead section about 1.5km long between our subdivision & the live telstra cables, & telstra want to hang their cables on the the lamp posts which i believe are owned by united networks.
You would think they would carry on with the trench & get our mini network live as there is about 250 houses in the area.

My Mum & sister live in christchurch & have had telstra close to 12mths.
Hmmm lucky them.....

cheers steve

Chris Wilson
08-07-2002, 10:31 AM
Hey Elwin,

I have 2 suggestions for your ISP survey page.
Perhaps as well as gathering info on ISP and area, you also gathered a little info on flavor of connection, ie: dialup, cable, DSL, wireless, satellite, etc. Lumping dial up paradise in the same bag as cable-paradise seems a little wrong to me if we wish to compare services.

Also, if dial up, may i suggest finding out which Telco is being used. The fact that i was using slingshot/telstra phone line without problem the same night that sparky was having difficulty with slingshot/telecon, suggests that there may be a telco problem, as well as an ISP problem.

Gather enough information, and a clear picture should emerge.

Just a thought
Chris!

Elwin Way
08-07-2002, 11:14 AM
Valid points there Chris.

I was mainly looking at dial-up accounts as these seem to have the worst service. Admittedly, cable is not without problems too.

I'll look into that.

>Gather enough information, and a clear picture should emerge.

Indeed, that is what I'm hoping to do...

Chris Wilson
08-07-2002, 01:33 PM
It's not that i think you should look at cable, i just think that the 2 stats should be seperated, as problems or good service with cable/DSL/etc is not realy something that should be counted in the same pile as dial up.

Clearly some ISPs do better by differant connection systems than others, a factor that seems consistant as much as telco, or geographical factors.

I gone opened a can of dem dere worms on ya now haven't i??

Elwin Way
08-07-2002, 04:57 PM
> It's not that i think you should look at cable, i
> just think that the 2 stats should be seperated, as
> problems or good service with cable/DSL/etc is not
> realy something that should be counted in the same
> pile as dial up.
>
> Clearly some ISPs do better by differant connection
> systems than others, a factor that seems consistant
> as much as telco, or geographical factors.

Ok, that's fair enough. My whole objective was to find out why, as a whole, we have such a poor standard of service with ISPs. Granted, the majority of problems seem to be with dial-ups, but isn't dial-up networking still by far the most popular form of internet connection?Could that be why?

>
> I gone opened a can of dem dere worms on ya now
> haven't i??

Err, no... not at all :D

How would you like to give me hand on this thing? I was thinking along the lines of maybe having a permanent website dedicated to providing live stats on NZ ISP's, network conditions, and a place for customers to go and check things before they throw a hissy at their ISP...

But that means time (which is in abundance when running more than 3 apps at once on a tired old PI 233) and money (for domain name, hosting etc.) Hmm.. I wonder if IDG would like to pitch in, in exchange for advertising... ;\

Steve Askew
08-07-2002, 05:33 PM
Ok heres a reply to an email I sent on Friday,I havent heard back about email I sent last night & resent today,I also selected "Read Reciept" with latest emails & havent got the receipt back yet.
Does that mean they haven't read it? or they don't want to answer?who knows?
cheers steve.

Thanks for your email

Hi Steve

We are currently investigating the matter with our network team with the disconnection's.As for the email there was an attack on our servers by "Hackers"
and for security reason we disabled the mail servers .

Regards
Slingshot Helpdesk
Sent: Friday, July 05, 2002 2:52 PM
Subject: To anyone who can help

Dear helpdesk, I am getting annoyed with the service I am recieving from slingshot or should I say the lack of it.
Not only do my friends & I have trouble getting connected to slingshot, but now the mail server is rejecting our passwords too! (Don't give me the story about V.90 modems as i already have one with the latest drivers & so does lance01)
Last night from about 7pm & it went on for over12 hrs,My self & 2 friends, khanson & lance01 could not access our emails,please see attached pics.
I challenge you to email your other subscribers in the wellington-upper hutt-porrirua area & see if they are having probs getting connected & staying connected.
If you have a look at the following link you will see we are not alone on this problem.
http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=21785&start=0&msRange=15

tweak\'e
08-07-2002, 05:48 PM
it was about 5 years ago i think. at the time one of the guys i was working with went to work on it.

it basicly webt from cbd to eastern suburbs. if i remember correctly the company name it was under was first media.

on catch with a listing of good/bad dailup isp's is the telecom factor. some isp's just seem to have bad aera's. one isp works well in one aera but not in another. is that due to telecom's connections or isp equipment? did one isp buy more bandwidth in one aera than another?

Elwin Way
08-07-2002, 10:15 PM
Thanks Tweak, I've added those questions to my list.. permission to ask them?

Incidentally, to those who are following, I have found a nice little DUN meter - it shows exactly your u/l and d/l speeds, it's configurable, light, and yes it works on XP! (even has a transparency..)

It's called DU meter and its available from www.dumeter.com (http://www.dumeter.com)

Steve Askew
09-07-2002, 10:14 AM
Well it is Tuesday morning & slingshot have not replied to the emails I sent on sunday evening & monday midday(both were the same), I know this is a LONGSHOT but I have now sent the following email in a last ditch attempt to get some action from slingshot.
cheers Steve.

Dear Helpdesk, This email is to advise you that I will not be renewing my slingshot account due on the 13th July, & I would like you to please credit my account A.S.A.P. with the 1 month credit owed for using the "Refer a friend "offer your company has operating.
As we have been receiving poor service regarding connecting & getting disconnected & my last emails sent on Sunday evening & midday Monday have not been acknowledged(see previous emails I have sent to helpdesk) We would like to use our 1month credit to see if this service improves,If it does we will reconsider renewing our account & if it doesn't we will close our account.
Regards Steve Askew

Elwin Way
09-07-2002, 05:00 PM
Good luck Steve. We tried a similar thing. Our account got closed..

It seems there are two major problems: one being the network connection the other being personnel at the helpdesk.

Let's face it, customer service in general has slipped majorly in the last couple of years - in all retail sectors... I went to get chinese last night for dinner, asked if I could have a half of chicken fried rice and half of sweet and sour, just like we always have. Got a nasty NO! Asked why not. "Cos you cant!"

Nice.. real nice...

Chris Wilson
09-07-2002, 06:12 PM
woohoo....
after heaps of ongoing failure, bleating, broken promises, and various other problems, (http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~pugwash/downtime.htm) paradise are sending out "the cable man" to have a wee look at the problem, tommorow morning. He's got other cable modems in the van "if there's something wrong with mine!!!"

Steve Askew
10-07-2002, 08:45 AM
I was talking to a 60'ish lady last night & she told me her & hubby had just finished being a customer slingshot of slingshot 2days ago,
Apparently they have had enough of ongoing problems with the accounts department.
When I explained the problems myself & friends were having connecting & staying connected to slingshot, She said that had happened a few times to them as well,they just just accepted it & figured it was a busy time.
These people are what you would call light users & live in upper hutt too.
I wonder how many people out there are just ACCEPTING that it might be busy?
It has been over 48hrs since I sent the manager and helpdesk an email (Same one sent again midday monday, see above posting) & still have not heard back.
Now I know what they mean by "SLINGSHOT,INTERNET WITH ATTITUDE".

Cheers steve

Steve Askew
10-07-2002, 04:48 PM
The following is the answer I got this afternoon from slingshot :-(

Thankyou for emailing the Helpdesk,

As requested we will ensure your account stay's open for a month after your current billing period.

Best regards,
Slingshot Helpdesk

Sent: Tuesday, 9 July 2002 9:04 a.m.
To: The Slingshot Team; Slingshot Helpdesk; helpdesk@slingshot.co.nz
Subject: Re: Invoice Notification for Upcoming Slingshot Account Renewal

Dear Helpdesk, This email is to advise you that I will not be renewing my slingshot account due on the 13th July, & I would like you to please credit my account A.S.A.P. with the 1 month credit owed for using the "Refer a friend "offer your company has operating.
As we have been receiving poor service regarding connecting & getting disconnected & my last emails sent on Sunday evening & midday Monday have not been acknowledged(see previous emails I have sent to helpdesk) We would like to use our 1month credit to see if this service improves,If it does we will reconsider renewing our account & if it doesn't we will close our account.
Regards Steve Askew

Chris Wilson
10-07-2002, 05:01 PM
The continuing side story on the non help from paradise/telstra-clear....
i was rung by the tech concerned, JR informs me that one of the amplifiers on the cable TV network has failed, thus not delivering the 3db boost needed. They think they've fixed it now and have given me a direct number to contact if it goes out again. so far cable modem seems happy, and if i stay here all night testing it..
I shall see.

Persistence pays off, i can't say i'm happy with the speed this all happened, but atleast the problem was admitted to, and dealt with in the end.

Elwin Way
10-07-2002, 06:46 PM
Chris -

Glad your problem got sorted in the end. I hope. It seems that the industry focus is, at the moment, with cable and DSL, as this is where the future lies (apparently). Dial-up connections are getting largely ignored because they are becoming outdated, even with new v93 specs which is supposed to make for a faster connection.

Hey Steve,

Congrats on the award! :D Lucky you - getting yer photo in the paper!

It seems Slingshot are slipping! I have yet to get a response from them after my last e-mail, which was sent over 4 days ago...

The investigation continues...

Steve Askew
10-07-2002, 10:11 PM
> Hey Steve,
>
> Congrats on the award! :D Lucky you - getting yer
> photo in the paper!

The award? the photo in the paper? sorry Elwin I'm not sure what you mean? Was this in the new Dominion Post? or local paper?

cheers steve

Elwin Way
10-07-2002, 10:22 PM
Oh, ooops.

Must be another Steve Askew living in this area. Was in Porirua news. About S.A. who works at Seal Air.

Sorry

:8}

Steve Askew
12-07-2002, 09:27 AM
Gee I was surprised to get the following message when checking my slingshot email this morning. :-)

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop3.slingshot.co.nz', Server: 'pop3.slingshot.co.nz', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

PS:Elwin, I think that was my cousins son you saw in paper,same name as me & lives in Porrirua

Elwin Way
12-07-2002, 11:21 AM
Hi,

Update on my end:

Still nothing back from Slingshot. (Surprised?)

However, I did finally get something back from Quicksilver:

To: <me>
Subject: Re: PPP speeds

Hi Elwin,
Thanks for your email. We have been getting some congestion on the Wellington-Auckland link which your connection goes through. This means some users have had problems with slow connections.
We have added another link, and hopefully this upgrade should be completed today or tomorrow, and you should see an improvement after this.
regards
Claire
Quicksilver Internet

EJ and Mare writes:
Hi,
I just signed up today after getting sick of Slingshots poor service. I was suffering from:
-having difficulty establishing PPP connection
-getting disconnected every half an hour (almost to the T !)
-could not load any web sites or pages from NZ domains
-could not get any replies to my e-mails asking about the above
Now I have been online at various stages throughout the day at both local and overseas sites. I have not been able to get a throughput of anything higher than 1.3 kB/s. Is this normal for Quicksilver?
If not, then what is the cause? I presume that my end is okay considering 1- I can receive 5.7 kB/s while connected to Xtra 2- All my symptoms with Slingshot have disappeared.
My system specs are:
----System Information
Platform: Windows 98 SE
Machine Type: Intel
System Version: 4.10.1998
Processor: Pentium 266
Physical RAM Installed: 32196 Kb
Eudora: Version 5.1
MSHTML Version: 5.50
WININET Version: 5.50
I am, getting increasingly frustrated, however I look forward to your reply.
Thanks,
Elwin Way

Now since then I have noticed a major increase in throughput - however it is hardly reaching the high water mark. I suppose I should be gratefull for that.

Incidentally, I have kept my account with Xtra and turned it into the prepaid account. I may not use for for a few years, Xtra complains (can't access my xtra email, but who cares?) but its good for when my ISP dies or whatever and I 'need' my internet access... :D supposed to be for emergencys only as prepaid is not the cheapest.

Elwin Way
18-07-2002, 11:09 AM
And update for those who care:

> First, I'd like to know if anybody else has been
> having problems with Slingshot in last month or so.

Apparently so.

> I have switched to Quicksilver for now, however I
> have not been able to get speeds any higher than 1.3k
> (my usual with Slingshot was 4.2 - 5.7k)

I emailed Quicksilver about this. They eventually responded by saying that yes, there was a bottleneck in my area, and they are putting in an extra line which should be live within the next couple of days.

Happy to say, since then speed has improved considerably.

> Is anyone else with Quicksilver and what do you think
> of them?

I was dubious at first, but so far my experiences with them have been good. (touch wood) At least they replied to an email (took a while) explaining and admitting the problem.

BlakJak
24-07-2002, 06:49 PM
> Err, no. Could be a grudge I guess. Regardless, it's
> not good customer relations to have ex-employees
> spouting off.. so something must have happended or
> Slingshot don't know the meaning of customer service
> (which I doubt).

Its funny how things get around isnt it :)

I am actually the Quicksilver staff member you are referring to.

A friend of mine pointed out this thread. I can get myself into a pile of trouble here, but I need to echo a few points.

* My opinions are mine and mine alone, and do not represent Quicksilver Internet - or Slingshot for that matter.

* I would not have said that Slingshot 'suck' and I therefore dont think that it is fair of you to paint that picture. I dont think that they 'suck', I just prefer not to use them for Dialup Internet personally, based on my own experience as a dialup customer on their network.

I qualify that statement by saying I havnt regularly used it in some time so the situation may have changed.

I also qualify that by stating that I have my home ADSL connection with their parent ISP Attica Communications and find the service pretty damn good.

I also know some of their staff and these are generally good people against whom I hold nothing. If I exagurrated my position on this it wasnt deliberate.

* I have untill this point taken the attitude that I should be frank and honest when interacting with clients who ring up, and I have no problem discussing my personal experiences or opinions with clients or prospectives because theyre mine personally, and the majority of my relavent skills and training come through experience. I dont want to get slammed for defamation or libel because something is misquoted on an online forum.

I ALWAYS make it clear that the opinion is *MINE* and *MINE ALONE*. I am entitled to have one and this is the first piece of negative feedback ive seen from having shared it. :/

General vibe from this point is that Customers want to deal with helpdesk staff who are open, honest, and will not spin lines in order to make the customer feel better. I do my very best to fill that expectation.

I guess now I will have to watch what I say more carefully.

For the record one of my best friends works in Network Operations for Attica (Slingshot) and im not exactly going to shoot him in the foot.

So speaking as an individual, as a long time internet consumer and as someone whos had dialup accounts on a half-dozen Internet Service Providers, I like Slingshot enough to keep my personal DSL account on their infrastructure, and I like Quicksilver enough to have my DNS hosted on their network, and reccomend it to my friends and family (for which I get no benefit whatsoever.). I apologise for any misunderstandings caused by my comments.

Mark Foster.

Elwin Way
24-07-2002, 07:18 PM
> Its funny how things get around isnt it :)

Indeed

> * My opinions are mine and mine alone, and do not
> represent Quicksilver Internet - or Slingshot for
> that matter.

Of course, we (well me at least) are the sort were we can automatically differentiate between good old honest feedback and PR propaganda. I don't think that anybody who is mature enough would in fact think that you were indeed speaking for your employer.

>
> * I would not have said that Slingshot 'suck' and I
> therefore dont think that it is fair of you to paint
> that picture. I dont think that they 'suck', I just
> prefer not to use them for Dialup Internet
> personally, based on my own experience as a dialup
> customer on their network.

Ok, fair enough, and my apologies. I was not trying to quote you directly. Also, as you were talking to my wife, I was getting 2nd hand info, which I reformed here. Think 'chinese whisper'.

Again, apologies for misrepresenting you.

> * I have untill this point taken the attitude that I
> should be frank and honest when interacting with
> clients who ring up, and I have no problem discussing
> my personal experiences or opinions with clients or
> prospectives because theyre mine personally, and the
> majority of my relavent skills and training come
> through experience.

Hmm, an interesting point. It is one thing that we did appreciate, was your personality and honesty. It felt like we were talking to a human instead of an 'operator'. I would recommend you for a pay rise and/or promotion. This is what we need more of. Unfortunately, it scares the hell out of a lot of managers, who would rather have nice and safe 'robots' who dont have a personality or an opinion.

> I dont want to get slammed for
> defamation or libel because something is misquoted on
> an online forum.

I don't see how this could happen. Well up until now anyway. I guess I should have a slap on the hand for presuming that you wouldn't see this... :8}

>
> I ALWAYS make it clear that the opinion is *MINE* and
> *MINE ALONE*. I am entitled to have one and this is
> the first piece of negative feedback ive seen from
> having shared it. :/

It wasn't intended to be negative. Rather it was intended to reinforce the fact that a certain ISP (can't name names anymore) was not all trumped up as they were made out to be.

> I guess now I will have to watch what I say more
> carefully.

Welcome to the business of Business... however, I don't expect that I will be sued for saying "Microsoft sucks" (I hope), as this is freedom of speech and I am sharing an opinion.

> I apologise for any
> misunderstandings caused by my comments.

And I too.

godfather
24-07-2002, 07:50 PM
I think we should give both Elwin and the ISP man a hand here...

()()()()()()()

Well done, credibility rules!
If ISPs all hired people like (both) of these, we would all be better off.

BlakJak
25-07-2002, 12:04 AM
Can I thank you both for your comments, I Think thats one of the nicest compliments Ive ever had for doing my job :)

Positive Customer Feedback of this nature makes it all worthwhile in the end.

:)

(And before my friend pointed out this discussion id never used these forums before in my life. :P )

Elwin Way
25-07-2002, 12:53 AM
Well then Blakjak, let's you hope you hang around :)

BTW, I'm on a little 'project' at the moment, and would like to interview you. Can you spare some time to answer a few questions via e-mail?

If so, can you please send me an email. you can find my email address on my site (http://www.design4web.co.nz).

Thanks a bunch :D

Steve Askew
20-08-2002, 11:23 PM
Some action at last???????
More news on the Slingshot connection problems.

I arrived home in Upper Hutt on Saturday evening (17thAug)after spending 2 weeks in Christchurch & whilst I was there I took my PC with me to see if the connection problems in Wellington would be repeated.
My tests included dialing in many times & downloading large files (100mb+)overnight .
My PC connected & stayed connected without any problems.
So I think that rules out any problem with my PC.
However back in U/Hutt on Sat,Sun & Monday evening I have had mega disconections & in a last ditch attempt I sent slingshot helpdesk another cry for help.
below is a copy of my email & their reply.
Cheers Steve
Ps: I was amazed I got a reply :-)

Sent: Monday, August 19, 2002 9:06 PM
Subject: Re: account
Importance: High

Can you help

Over the last few months we have been experiencing connection problems with Slingshot. For example getting continuously disconnected I have brought this to the attention of the help desk in the past. We have also mentioned taking our business elsewhere.

On the 3rd of August we went to Christchurch for two weeks on Holiday and of course this meant taking our computer with us. Whilst in Christchurch we had a wonderful connection. No disconnections occurred and we sent the email below requesting that you cont= inue deducting for your ISP service.

Upon returning to Upper Hutt on Saturday we have yet again experienced numerous disconnections. Tonight I have attempted to connect and have had 5 disconnections within the space of two minutes! With this email having to be written off line.

Have you a feasible explanation as to why connections in Upper Hutt in comparison to Christchurch would be so poor. Explanations we have received in the past related to the type of Modem we had, etc. Obviously it cannot be the computer or its hardware/software given that we experienced no such handicap in Christchurch.

Telecom have tested the phone lines and reported no problems. We have also used a friends paradise connection and received no problems. We have gone online using our 2nd pc using both Slingshot and Paradise. With Slingshot disconnecting.

Look Forward to Your Response

Steve Askew

----- Original Message -----
To: 'Steve'
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 3:03 PM
Subject: RE: account

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your email.

We have been keeping a close eye on the Wellington Nas boxes, there have been a few reports of connection problems which have prompted us to restart the Nas box. We will monitor this over the next week if problems are still occurring we will take the issue further.

Thank you for your patients.

Kind regards

Slingshot Helpdesk Team

Chris Wilson
20-08-2002, 11:32 PM
Maybe slingshot admitting the problem is a step in the right direction....

well i might as well say that the telstra cable problems have truly gone, and in the last discussion i had with telstra the words "one month crediton the internet connection", were muttered, without prompting from me...
i just opened my latest telstra/clear bill

and

go on guess________

Of course not!

SoniKalien
21-08-2002, 12:26 AM
Crikey Steve, it doesn't really sound like Slingshot are really that interested. The reply you got is (after a bit of discreet and careful undercover research) pretty much a generic "Well, fudge, I guess we better reply with something different"

I must say though, Quicksilver have raised their fees by $2 (I think - I don't look at the bills :D) however I have not wont to complain about the service.

My advice: pay a few extra $ and make the switch.

ex Elwin Way

Steve Askew
21-08-2002, 07:58 AM
Yer swapping isp's might be a good idea.

About 4 weeks ago Telstra-Saturn dug a trench from our subdivision to another subdivision that has "live" Saturn services & technicians were working on the green boxes before I went away.
Ive sent them an email to Saturn see if they will be offering services in our area after looking at their green boxes for nearly 18months.

Cheers steve

Ps: I got disconnected 6 times whilst posting my previous message last night LOL

Chris Wilson
21-08-2002, 08:36 AM
when they work, dem green boxes are great.. dispite any hassles i've had, i can see no better alternative..

Now watch me get flamed for saying something remotely positive!