PDA

View Full Version : anyone using stay connected with xtra.

john r
01-07-2002, 08:40 PM
I have been using the inklineglobal program stay connected happily for some time, it stops my isp xtra from disconnecting me from the net.

In the last few days it has been allowing xtra to disconnect me, dose anyone know if something has changed at xtra or have they got smarter.

Up to now I could leave my pc on all day without one disconnection ( Zone Alarm pro also on ).

I have changed the settings a few times, different settings only work short term.

I would be interested to hear from anyone with the same setup to see how they have set the options.
Thanks for any help,
jr.

tweak\'e
01-07-2002, 09:07 PM
i assume your are on dailup in which case no program will stop xtra from dissconnecting you. they do it every 24 hrs and so many minutes. we used to have it set for auto redail so it just resumed.

john r
01-07-2002, 11:05 PM
Thanks Tweak'e, I am on dial up, I usually only stay on line for up to 10 hrs, xtra pings my pc and if they catch me not surfing I get dropped and will need to reconnect, up to now if I used the stay connected program they would usually leave me alone, only ping my firewall.

I guess dial up probs are old hat to the new age high speed surfers, only thought someone else may have some different (stay connected) settings to try.
jr.

Jester
01-07-2002, 11:14 PM
Hiya

How about having your email program running and have it set to check for mail every 5 mins or so? Works for me and if you get disconnected for whatever reason it will re-dial when the 5 mins is up.

J.

john r
01-07-2002, 11:30 PM
Thanks Jester, will give it a go,
jr

bmason
02-07-2002, 12:59 AM
I heard that xtra only check for traffic on port 80 (www), so to stop them disconnecting you, you would need to repeatedly download something like a web page.

I know Opera and galeon can be set to do it. If you use IE you may be able to use its subscription stuff.

john r
02-07-2002, 10:41 AM
Thanks bmanson,
Will check which port zonealarm shows xtra pings are on.

The stay connected program can be set to carry out random searches for web address,
I will set this to known web pages now I know xtra only looks at surfing.
jr