PDA

View Full Version : disk image

forrest44
01-07-2002, 06:42 PM
What is a disk image?

JohnD
01-07-2002, 07:18 PM
A disk image is a copy of all the files on a partition put into one file (probably compressed). The most common tool to do this with is Norton's Ghost. The principle is used for preparing PCs for sale or fixing problems on network PCs - just reghost instead of spending ages trying to fix the problem or reinstalling from CD-ROM.

forrest44
02-07-2002, 10:06 AM
How do I unpack all the files?

Billy T
02-07-2002, 05:55 PM
Speaking for Norton Ghost, you simply boot from the Ghost floppy and follow the bouncing ball. It's that simple and for me it restores a full HD of OS & Programs in under 30 minutes.

Once restoration is completed and the floppy is removed, press reboot and up comes your system again, just as it was before the disaster or whatever.

Other drive imaging systems will be much the same.

I strongly recommend the use of drive imaging, it makes for stress free and sweatless computer usage. Just remember to keep your images up to date.

I have two drives and keep OS & programs on C, & all data on D. The C image is stored on D, and the D image is stored on C. If either HD fails I can be back up & running in no time at all.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

boom23
03-07-2002, 09:30 PM
Or if you have norton ghost 2002 or below, there's a program called ghostexplorer that comes with the installation. You can hand pick files from the image and unpack them.