PDA

View Full Version : ICQ2001b: strange new files

Random_User
01-07-2002, 01:21 PM
I've been using ICQ2001b on a desktop and laptop system, installed at pretty much the same time. On the desktop system I suddenly noticed a new pair of files in the ICQ folder. These files are externals.exe and externals.fld - they both trigger ZoneAlarm by trying to communicate with the outside world, but appear in ZA as patch.exe which makes me somewhat suspicious.

I'm usually quite paranoid about viruses and trojans, and don't download files etc. I ran Norton AV 2002 over these files and picked up nothing strange.

Does anyone know if these are legitimate files for ICQ, or are they trojans or virii ?

John Grieve
01-07-2002, 02:28 PM
You have been Trojaned by one of the worst Trojans around!

Its a bit of a pig to remove but can be done without to much of a problem.

Instant messaging Clients are becoming favourites of hacker scum to attack your PC. I personally stopped using them 2 years ago.

Anyhow here you go

http://www.brown.edu/Facilities/CIS/Software_Services/current/netbus.html

Random_User
01-07-2002, 03:56 PM
Many thanks for the help.

I'm surprised and disappointed that Norton's didn't pick this up, though.
Cheers,

Will.

John Grieve
01-07-2002, 04:57 PM
Some trojan and virus versions are capable of disabling virus scanners leaving them looking as though they are still working so I suggest you get a free virus scanner with the latest definitions and check that has not happened. There is one called AVG that I think has a decent free version.

Another thing to remember is that virus scanners will not always see a trojan anyway because it is not actually a virus as such. Its a good idea to run a seperate Trojan scanner a Virus scanner Zonealarm and something like Adaware or Spybot all nowadays if you go online. ADSL makes things even harder if your router (I hope you all use a router!) is not configured properly.