PDA

View Full Version : D drive disappearing

effie C
01-07-2002, 11:18 AM
Hi
several times of late I find my D drive has disappeared- panic!- anyway by trial and terror(?) - I inserted my startup f/d and eventually it stated that my D drive was operational and to carry on with installation etc.
Installation etc from then on is no longer needed- I just go into d drive and carry on nas usual
Why is this? I have win98SE - 500 Mhz cpu and 192 meg RAM

godfather
01-07-2002, 11:25 AM
Perhaps you should still panic!!

Unfortunately you have not told us what the error messages are, but just one possibility is that the hard drive is not always available at boot-up. That could be siticking heads or motor bearings, either meaning the end is nigh..

It could be 1,001 other things as well, many just as serious.

PLEASE!! back up your important data now, as next time its "not available" it may never be seen again.....

If you tell us what is happening I am sure someone can throw more light on it.

effie C
01-07-2002, 02:06 PM
Thank you- the D drive is just missing from "my computer" sub window- every Icon works- it just shows no D Drive Icon - I insert the start up f/d and within seconds that missing D drive icon is back- nothing lost elswhere- and it then works perfectly- This does not happen every time- just at infuriating moments when I can least spare time mucking around-The h/d is spinning quite normally

godfather
01-07-2002, 02:34 PM
Oh - its D: (I didn't read it correctly!)

I assume D: is your CD?? orZip?? or LS120?? or DVD?? or.....

Sounds like (whatever D: is) it's not being recognised at boot up everytime. There have been several recent postings re that but have to admit I have not been following them.

Is it shown in your BIOS?

effie C
01-07-2002, 03:04 PM
Thank you again - godfather- yes D is my C D drive and what intrigues me- as pertaining to your query" was it recognised in your BIOS "- is that most of the time- say 95% Startup and everything elde work perfectly - so it must be entered in the BIOS,---sometimes weeks go by- and I come online 7- 8 times a day( I play E mail chess)with 17 people at a time- none is interfered with and start up is quite normal- it is just these infuriating lapses that piss me off. Yesterday was one and as I said it was several weeks ago I got caught out like this- ironicaly I was helping a man with M E and a much younger computer to sort a problem- which I did- but a prophet is without honour in his own country, apparently- me over such a little problem- and I cannot reason it out

godfather
01-07-2002, 05:13 PM
Strangely enough it may not be in BIOS, I had a W95 PC that had *none* set in the BIOS where the CD ROM should have been but W95 recognised it.

Its just that someone raised that issue recently.

Is it causing a problem for the few times it isn't recognised? I assume its not used every time, or does it cause an error?

effie C
02-07-2002, 11:05 AM
Well godfather- your advice struck a cord of memory- Last night I unexpectedly had a vist from one of the two school kids( as of 5 years ago) and this now 22 year old with a degree in computering went into the BIOS and set:- " standard CMOS setup/secondary masterdrives set to none and should be set to auto"
I have no reason to disbelieve his efforts- it remains to be seen in the unpredictable future - but it had obvious connections with what you suggested.
Thank you for your advice
effie c