PDA

View Full Version : OFFICE 2000

HUNTY
30-06-2002, 08:44 PM
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED ON ACCESSING EXCELL{2000}
EVERY TIME I CLICK ON THE PROG.IT STARTS TO LOAD THEN ASK FOR THE DESTINATION DISK WHICH I THEN PLACE IN THE DRIVE .THEN AMESSAGE
COMES UP CANT FIND DESTINATION PATH DATA.1.MSI.SO IN MY FRUSTRATION I DECIDE TO UNINSTALL AND REINSTAL BUT I THEN GET AMESSAGE SAYING I ALREADY HAVE VERSION INSTALLED AND ASKS FOR DATA.1.MSI.IHAVE BEEN TOLD IAM MISSING THE INSALATION FILE
CAN ANY BODY SUGGEST THANKS
KEN

godfather
30-06-2002, 09:29 PM
Firstly, please check your CAPS lock key, it appears to be stuck.
Many people will not respond to a message all in capitals, as it is the equivalent of shouting.

You say it asks for the destination disk "which you then put in the drive"

This puzzles me, as the "destination disk" should be where it wants to write something, not where it wants to read something from.

The file it wants is the installation file, therefore have a look at where it expects to find it and put it there (the file data1.msi is/should be in the root directory of the Office 2000 CD I believe).
Is your Office 2000 CD the same CD that the program was installed from originally?

-=JM=-
01-07-2002, 12:25 AM
Well here we go for the benefit of others a spelling and case changed version:

Any help would be appreciated on accessing Excel 2000 every time I click on the prog. It starts to load then ask for the destination disk which I then place in the drive. Then a message comes up cant find destination path data.1.msi So in my frustration I decide to uninstall and reinstall but I then get a message saying I already have version installed and asks for data.1.msi. I have been told I am missing the installation file can any body suggest thanks
ken

-=JM=-
01-07-2002, 12:29 AM
I gather what is happening is that you have installed Office 2000. You have not fully installed it but have got it set to install components when required.

When it asks for you to insert the destination disk. What disc do you put in. You should be putting in the Office 2000 disc that you installed it from.

godfather
01-07-2002, 08:57 AM
No JM, I think the destination is where you want it installed, the source disk is where it comes from (or have MS reversed their terminology of 20 years?)

-=JM=-
01-07-2002, 10:24 PM
No when it is looking for that MSI file. It is looking for the CD (or location from where excel was installed). It happens with me when I'm installing new hardware in windows 98se. It want's me to point to the destination of the source disk.

godfather
01-07-2002, 10:34 PM
destination of the source disk....well I never

I could accept "location of source" but MS really have taken liberties with english...
Destination
des.ti.na.tion
Pronunciation: "des-t-'nA-sh n

"a place to which one is journeying or to which something is sent"

Now is one journeying to the CD (perhaps) or is one sending something to the CD (not)

Oh dear....time for bed

HUNTY
04-07-2002, 06:09 PM
thanks to (JM)&god father your suggestion worked; had to discs once i found the write one magic.sorry about the shouting but i guess thats what happens when frustration sets in
thanks ken