PDA

View Full Version : Modem phone line?

Jase1
30-06-2002, 03:57 PM
Hi

Just wondering the phone line that connects from the modem to the wall. That phone line, is it just a normal phone line or is it a special type that only uses for internet. Cause my modem phone line isn't working quite well and I tried switching the modem phone line with a normal phone but I keep getting this error saying "please make sure the phone line is connected to the modem" or something like. If so there is a special type of phone line for the modem, where can I buy it from?

ps: sorry for the English grammar

Thanks alot

Jase Sen

godfather
30-06-2002, 04:10 PM
The phone line "at the wall socket" is a normal phone line.
The cable connecting it to your modem is often different to a phone cable, it may have different connections.

So its only the cable between the wall and the computer that is different between a phone and a modem.

wuppo
30-06-2002, 04:11 PM
Jase, you are correct: the cable is wired differently for phone and modem. You should be able to get a replacement modem cable at a Dick Smith store.

godfather
30-06-2002, 04:11 PM
More:

Dick Smith Electronics has the modem leads

Heather P
30-06-2002, 05:57 PM
Jase, before paying out for a new cable - check the phone line. Disconnect computer from wall, plug in a standard telephone, check for dial tone.

If dial tone is there and the line sounds OK - no crackles, pops or other noises on the line - disconnect phone and reconnect computer.

Test.

If it still doesn't work check the cable to computer connection. There are usually 2 holes side-by-side on the modem. One is for the cable, the other for a telephone. Is your cable in the right hole? Is it firmly connected?

If all this is OK try popping the lid on the computer and check that the modem is firmly seated in it's slot.

Chris Wilson
30-06-2002, 07:04 PM
As you will have noticed, our phone system standard wall connector uses 6 pins 2 active, 4 useless, to connect an a 4 or 6 wire cable to a smaller plug on the phone or modem also having 6 contacts, only 2 of which are usefull, which 2 work can vary at the phone end.

The 2 standards were used side by side, just because someone in telecom thought that would be a good idea

on the wall socket at least things are constant
pin 1 useless
pin 2 live
pin 3 useless
pin 4 useless
pin 5 live
pin 6 useless
(some of the useless pins had functions to do with ringing, or stuff you might find in old buisness phone systems.)

At the modem pins 3&4, the middle ones, are active.

Most phones will use 3&4 but some will use 2&5 so not all leads are interchangable :( .

Jester
30-06-2002, 07:45 PM
My suggestion is to try plugging it into the other socket on the back of the PC. Basically if the plug fits, it's probably the correct type.

:D
J.

tweak\'e
30-06-2002, 10:38 PM
>Most phones will use 3&4 but some will use 2&5 so not all leads are interchangable .

clap clap :) well done chris exactly right. some phones/modems use different leads.

Jase1
01-07-2002, 12:13 AM
Jester: But what if it fits but doesn't work?

Thanks alot guys for your help :-)

Jase Sen

Heather P
01-07-2002, 12:18 AM
Jase,

- Did you check the phone, line and computer as above?
- Has the cable worked in the past?
- Is it completely faulty or only occassionally?
- When did it stop working?
- Did the cable get stuck under a chair or did someone pull it?
- What changed to stop it working?

Jester
01-07-2002, 12:22 AM
> Jester: But what if it fits but doesn't work?

I suggested it as I stumbled the other day with a cord I had plugged into the 'phone' socket rather than the 'line' socket - the markings are hard to read at times.

I think the other suggestions are more valid than mine, but it was worth a crack, nothing ventured, nothing gained :)

I hope ya get it sorted mate.

J.