PDA

View Full Version : Stability of Windows ME

Mzee
29-06-2002, 11:09 PM
I keep on reading bad remarks about Windows ME being unstable.
I have used ME for 2 years now, & the only time it crashes is when I do something stupid.

Am I lucky, or is it a good OS?

-=JM=-
29-06-2002, 11:39 PM
IMHO when it comes to WinME, you either love it, or you love Win98se.

The only people I know that really like ME did not like 98SE at all. and vice versa.

J ZEP
29-06-2002, 11:54 PM
Mzee - i would love some feedback on that too!! I know quite a few people who have had probs with it BUT wonder if it is down to their incompetence and computer illiteracy as most of them are newbies so i wonder if they cause the probs themselves?? Is it a very good system to start on? Anyone know? I use XP and would recommend that as an excellent beginners system? And was lead to believe that ME is the closest to XP which of course makes sense!! (silly thing for me to say) - But yes the question is, is it a bad system or as you say, only runs bad when you do something silly ? I am up to my ears with family etc having probs with ME!!!

Neil McC
30-06-2002, 09:17 AM
Our son chose 98SE on his new PC 20 months ago,but we went for ME.He chose it because of all the bad reports on ME,whereas this is our first PC (apart from an Amstrad I had years ago,tape at that,which put me off!!) And now it seems like he has as many problems with his 98 as we do!Just like all these complaints about Paradise,to which I swapped from Actrix in Feb because it was so slow,now usually no problems and a lot faster!Just my pennys worth!

godfather
30-06-2002, 09:33 AM
Had WinME on 3 machines, and it was fine. Just little things were needed, like watching how many services were running, using msconfig to stop non essential stuff.

If you load lots of junk applications and trial games, yes you will have problems but if you use it properly its quite fast and stable.

I liked it, even upgrading a Win98 machine. Now all on XP which is superior to all the others for my application, never crashes.

cadifan
30-06-2002, 09:46 AM
When I bought this 'puter a couple of months ago (because my other one was about SIX YEARS OLD) I was told by the dude (or is that "dud") in the shop that ME was "really unstable and a lot of people are going away from it". So I bought an XP machine, and it's awesome!

Come to think of it, my flat mate's ME has crashed a few times in the last couple of months, hmm. :D

tweak\'e
30-06-2002, 10:12 AM
winME is basicly just an enhanced ver of win98se. however the biggest problem is, just like xp, is it required new drivers. properly set up it is as stable as 98se.

dipstick01
30-06-2002, 11:13 AM
I've been running ME for about 8 months now and apart from some intial teething problems am very happy. This is my first computer and I have since used 95, 98 and xp on various machines and actually prefer ME personally. ME can be very unstable if it does not get a good clean install, i.e it needs to go on to a clean or reformatted hard drive. If you try and reinstall over the top of an exsisting OS or even upgrade then it appears that is when problems start. There is a lot of debate about which OS is best and it really comes down to personal opinion. Nasty things were first said about XP when it was first released and some people are still saying them too. Its like a car, find the one that suits you not the one the 16 year old with the backwards cap reckons is "da bomb"

Sami
01-07-2002, 05:17 PM
I bought this machine in June last year and it came with ME installed. After a nightmare two months I took it back and obliged the supplier to replace ME with Windows 98 SE. The latter has not been all that it might be, but at least I have been able to keep it running and my blood pressure has retuned to normal!

Muzza
01-07-2002, 08:38 PM
I have been using ME on a PC I purchased just over 12 months ago and have no problem with it. I previously used 98 and found ME a huge improvement. 98 kept locking up and needed very frequent reboots even though I am pretty careful what I loaded on to it. ME was a bit unstable at first but the PC Company where I purchased it did a re installation of the OS and it has never faulted since.

nztrekkie
01-07-2002, 09:06 PM
Used to run both computers on 98se, but got the blue screen of death quite a bit, so upgraded them to ME. Found Me stable, so I got cocky with one of the pc's and upgraded to XP. 3 weeks later reformatted back to ME. Great operating system is Me, especially restore