PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Favorite CPU Cooling

Sam H
29-06-2002, 10:58 PM
Exactly what the title says guys, what is your favorite CPU Cooling?

tweak\'e
29-06-2002, 11:51 PM
my favorite cpu cooling is...COLD ;-)

i make cooling match the pc which matchs the customer. every cooling solution is as unique as the customer.

my favorite design is the 'thermosonic' style ie x shaped. a nice effecient design.

-=JM=-
30-06-2002, 12:36 AM
I think that water would be my favourite.
It's relatively easy, cheap and performs well.

Ofcourse a VapourChill would be nice though.

Craig Bellhouse
30-06-2002, 01:24 AM
hehehe just a plain old heatsink and a fan
check out http://scone.virtualave.net/stuff/computer/index.htm

its all you really need...

*Sparky*
30-06-2002, 05:09 AM
Nice machine Craig, but ...

Was that a touch of hot glue I could see in the last pic?

:p

tweak\'e
30-06-2002, 11:28 AM
hi craig :)

a couple of points here.......

the grill area between case fan and psu needs to be blocked off. it allows hot exhaust air to enter the case. it also means the air from the case fan will be going around in circles ie case fan blows it out, it gets sucked back in through the grill then blown back out again. this makes a case fan a little pointless.

you have 3 exhaust fans but only one front case fan. the front case fan simply can't flow enough air to keep up with the others.(3 vers 1, guess who will win) install a slow speed 120mm case up the front, or add 3 more 80mm. ideally you want slightly more intake airflow than exhaust airflow.

also see if you can fit a 60x60x25 fan onto the heatsink

Craig Bellhouse
01-07-2002, 06:29 PM
aha, but you are wrong about the fan setup.

The front and two side fans are intake, the top and two rear fans are outlets. Also, the intake fans are run at a slightly higher speed to cause positive pressure, which forces the warmer air out the top fans.

Cheers,
Craig.

Graham L
01-07-2002, 06:41 PM
Cray used Freon, but he was putting 30KW or so into his CPUs. Intel are getting there ...

tweak\'e
01-07-2002, 06:48 PM
doh !! missed the side ones in my haste.........<hangs up geek hat>

Elwin Way
01-07-2002, 06:57 PM
I have always wondered what is wrong with liquid nitrogen? Its stable, its inert, its non-conductive, and its very cold! :)

Graham L
01-07-2002, 07:13 PM
LN2 is too cold. And it's expensive to make a nitrogen refrigerator. You don't want to have the tanker calling to top up your Dewar at $10/litre. The temperature cycling was is what killed the Josephson junction technology. That was being cooled to liquid helium temperature, and had to be warmed up to room temp to fix the faults. The systems fell apart. Helium cryostats are also very expensive. The other problem is the heat input through the connections to the outside world.

Elwin Way
01-07-2002, 07:28 PM
... Ah. I see. :) I have played around with LN a bit but not so that I was actually experimenting with it... :D

Craig Bellhouse
02-07-2002, 12:43 PM
Hey Elwin, if you look around on the net you can find articles about ppl who HAVE used LN as a coolant for pc's, I have sen several different methods, but the most successful one was a group of new zealanders who used LN to cool a non freezing gel and immersed their whole computer in this gel, with only the hard disc not immersed.

The gel was pumped between the computer box and another container with the LN in it to cool it back down. I cannot remeber what speeds they had it running but the box and cpu temps were all WELL below 0C.
(This was after they had seriously overclocked it too!!)