PDA

View Full Version : format on linux

dum dugie
29-06-2002, 07:40 PM
I have been trying to dos format a hdd that has been running linux without success. Can someone please tell me how to do this.
Thank you.

JohnD
29-06-2002, 08:47 PM
Can you tell us the details of how you have attempted to do your DOS format and what the result was?

dum dugie
29-06-2002, 09:19 PM
initially I set the drive up as a slave on a windows 98 computer but although the drive was recognised at boot it did not come up under windows.
I then set it up as a single drive and attempted to format with a 98 startup disc but the format hung after the opening dialogue.
I then tried a Dos setup proceedure which includes a full format--but this just hangs as well.
I looked at the partitions using fdisk--it tells me there is one non-dos partition but it misreports the size of the drive-twice as big as it should be. The drive is 1.7 gig.
thanks for your response
dugie

JohnD
29-06-2002, 09:31 PM
Next thing to do would be to use FDISK to delete the non-DOS partition. Then make a new repartition or partitions and format. That shoudl work.

dum dugie
30-06-2002, 12:17 AM
I've got it to appear in windows now but even a windows format hangs.
when the fdisk format hung it would go looking for file "allocation tables", what ever they are. There must be another factor there somewhere.
Will let it rest for a couple of days.
Thanks JohnD for your help.
Dougie

Graham L
30-06-2002, 03:56 PM
BTW Linux has a disk partitioner called "fdisk". MS has a partitioner called "FDISK". I think I know which you meant, but ...

Do an FDISK /MBR just in case. Then do FDISK /STATUS. That should show what MS thinbks you have. If it doesn't appear to have an MS partition, do the normal FDISK, and FORMAT. It ought to work. ;-)

Your try with FDISK (?) failed because it could not find a FAT. The disk was shown as twice the size. Linux uses a 1024 byte unit; MS uses 512. There's your factor of two. The FDISK /MBR might fix that.

dum dugie
30-06-2002, 10:24 PM
thanks Graham L

Strewth--- and I thought I was in for a quiet Sunday evening!!

will post back.

dum dugie
01-07-2002, 09:05 PM
all that seemed to work--went thru format ok--windows can see it--click on it--only hyroglyphics.whaaaaat?
strange indeed.
will put it in carboot for a week then try again.
blinkin linux!!!
dugie

Graham L
02-07-2002, 05:53 PM
Nothing wrong with Linux. ;-) It handled the disk OK. MS has said that it has removed the Linux partition, and done its thing. What MS FDISK and FORMAT did you use? With the later versions of Windows I have an idea that you should use the versions that come with the OS. If you used an old DOS5 or 6 floppy to do the job, it might give a directory which looks a bit strange ... I don't know. Before you panic ... try (carefully: make sure you give it the right disk letter) deltree /y d:\ on it. If it has a readable directory, that should blast it all. :D Or now that the system can recognise it, you should be able to FDISK and FORMAT again from your normal OS.