PDA

View Full Version : Removing Windows 98

sayam_5
29-06-2002, 03:10 PM
I have a computer dual booting into 98 and Xp. I want to remove 98 to gain space someone suggested formatting drive C (98 is there and XP is on D:\) but because D drive is a partition I am not sure if I should as it is my Dad's, any ideas?

Dragonslayer
29-06-2002, 04:22 PM
Why not just delete the Windows folder on C Drive, and the Program Files folder as well?, then just change the startup sequence in Windows XP to not display Windows 98 on the initial boot screen.

loser
29-06-2002, 04:28 PM
you wanna be careful with formatting c:.
the chances are that when XP was installed over the top it dumped a whole lotta it's boot files on c: aswell, hence if you format c you are likely to need to reinstall XP.
checked in control panel>add/remove programs ?
you may have an option to remove the previous OS in there.

sayam_5
20-07-2002, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the advice but no luck - theres no option to boot straight into XP.

sayam_5
20-07-2002, 01:44 AM
Just what i was thinking (there were about 3 warnings about formating the primary partion in Partition Magic) and ive looked in both OSs for some uninstall thing but i couldnt find a thing

Ritzz
20-07-2002, 04:19 AM
While Windows XP resides on a secondary partition which is d:
Boot.ini, regardless of where Windows XP is located, will be found on the primary partition which is also the same partition which Windows 98 resides, c:. There are also other important files that will help boot Windows XP here.

You DO NOT want to format this partition to regain the space that is taken up by Windows 98. A format will remove these files and you will be left with a computer that wonít boot. The best option is to delete the Windows 98 directory and any directories associated with it such as Program Files if it contained software that was used only under Windows 98. Just to be more careful you can go an duninstall all prgram files from within Windows 98

The files left in the root directory can vary depending on if you have SCSI drives or not. I assume you dont have one. My advice would be to leave all files in the root directory alone unless you know what you are doing.

They do not take up much space and will be hidden from view anyway if you have Explorer set to hide them. Risking an inoperable computer for a KB or two isnít worth it, especially if you donít know what youíre doing.

And you can edit your boot.ini from System properties ->Advanced tab to something likes this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Just to make sure your default line is set to something as above to point to WinXp and not c:\ otherwise you will have errors upon booting up.

Cheers

Susan B
20-07-2002, 09:32 AM
If you've got all the installation disks, a good place to backup the data files and have the know-how, why not just start again by formatting everything, repartitioning and reinstalling WinXP on the C: drive? It would be nice and clean then.

sayam_5
20-07-2002, 07:29 PM
thanks i thought something like that would happen but wasn't sure. ill try your idea for the boot.ini file

Marty2001
20-07-2002, 08:07 PM
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/cook/uninstall.htm
This is a common F1 question which was answered yesterday

Heather P
20-07-2002, 09:48 PM
and.... BACKUP the boot.ini file BEFORE you change it!

I changed one once for similar reasons and was rather thankful I had the backup. It was needed.