PDA

View Full Version : Modem Hanging up

alancorner
29-06-2002, 12:06 AM
While on the Internet my modem hangs for a few mimutes and then starts again it is doing this more frequently as time goes on. Running WinME I.E.6 Intel Ham Modem which is new. Any suggestions?

Susan B
29-06-2002, 12:14 AM
I keep my Outlook Express open (minimised) and set it to check for new messages every minute. That keeps my connection ticking along nicely otherwise mine does that sometimes too.

godfather
29-06-2002, 12:21 AM
Internal PCI modems are prone to this, to do with them not being "real" modems so much as computer simulations. Finnicky at best.

These problems go away with serial RS232 port connected external modems, or internal IDE slot modems (rare now to find them or a slot to put them in)

The subject was quite well covered some time ago on this forum, you might do a search for it.

A reboot should reset the problem?

alancorner
29-06-2002, 10:04 AM
Thanks Susan tried it but no luck.

alancorner
29-06-2002, 10:05 AM
Thanks for that when you say a reboot what do you mean? the whole system or just I.E.

godfather
29-06-2002, 11:03 AM
Reboot the whole system
If a soft modem gets bitter and twisted you dont have the option of resetting it, only a power down and restart will.

Again, the moral of the story is avoid soft modems. They are cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Susan B
29-06-2002, 12:21 PM
What is your ISP? My modem did that a lot with Actrix to the point where I was going up the wall. It hardly ever did it with zFree and nor with the ISP that I'm with now.

Actrix had no explanation for it but when it happened I had to shut everything down and reboot the whole machine because closing just the internet connection didn't free the phone line whatever I tried. Mostly it happened soon after connection, within 10 minutes, so if I got past that period of time online I was usually pretty "safe".

godfather
29-06-2002, 01:12 PM
While you say your "modem is hanging up" which means disconnecting from the telephone line until you reconnect, I suspect you mean that the modem is failing to transfer data but stays connected.

While this is often reported as a problem with soft modems, it can be related to the ISP, in that their server is just too busy to get back to your tasks, and you get ignored for periods.

This is evedent on dial up after 3 pm when kids get home and peak times in the evening. If it is time related its lack of resources at the ISP in all probability.

If it has no relevance to time, then blame the modem or its drivers, or your hardware configuration or OS or......all of the above

Susan B
29-06-2002, 06:24 PM
Not sure if your previous post was directed at me or Alan, godfather, but Alan and I are talking about modems that fail to transmit data, ie going to sleep on us.

In my case it would do nothing more five or ten minutes after connecting, no matter how long I waited for it and yes, it was probably more often during the busy time of the day when I think about it, but not always.

I am inclined to blame the ISP because like I said Actrix was the worst culprit and it never happened when I first joined them, only about 12 months ago.

I admit that my modem is not the best and still plan to upgrade to an external sometime even though I don't get the problem now with my new ISP. I'm sure I could get a faster connection than I am now and also an external will be easily transferred to my new PC - when I get it.