PDA

View Full Version : FDD Problems

DangerousDave
28-06-2002, 08:57 AM
Hello all,
I have got a 3 1/2 floppy drive, and is very tempremental, sometimes it will read the disk properly, other times it will say files are corrupt. The same is writing to disk, half the time most of the files are corrupt. What should i do about this, i was thinking about getting a 3 1/2 floppy drive cleaner but i do not know if this could fix the problem as it might also be the IDE cable. Any ideas, thanks a heap

- David

Graham L
28-06-2002, 06:27 PM
It's certainly worth trying a head cleaning disk. Have a look in the drive (through the slot). There can be a LOT of dust collected inside, and if it's bad, you need to open the drive and clean it out properly. :-( (Soft brush, vacuum cleaner). It won't be the IDE cable (unless its a LS120 drive); it might the floppy cable. ;-) But usually a cable fault is always there. Check that it is fully plugged in, though.

loser
28-06-2002, 08:22 PM
how old are the disks that you are using?
if they are older than 1 year, it may be that they are at fault and not your drive...
especially if they have sat in damp-ish conditions since like last winter ;-)
try checking them with scandisk.
disks degrade very quickly!
since disks are not really that pricey, if they are old, best to replace them anyway.
cool.

mikebartnz
28-06-2002, 08:27 PM
If you are having problems with more than one disk don't use scandisk as in these circumstances it can do more harm than good..

Terry Porritt
28-06-2002, 08:54 PM
It's worthwhile having a floppy drive cleaning kit, and to clean the heads once in a while, usually floppy drives get no maintenance at all.

For a really bad floppy drive, there is an excellent DOS cleaning program that will exercise the heads and polish and burnish them when used with a cleaning disk and fluid. It is packaged as cleaner2.zip and you can get it from Simtel at:
http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/44120.html

Susan B
28-06-2002, 09:26 PM
> ...you need to open the drive and clean it out
> properly. :-( (Soft brush, vacuum cleaner).

Vacuum cleaner??

My hubby almost had kittens when I got the vacuum cleaner out to "dust" my PC last time the cover came off. He says they are extremely bad for static electricity and will kill the thing.

I was very careful not to touch anything with the hose or nozzle while he stood with his hands over his eyes. :D

godfather
28-06-2002, 10:50 PM
Technically true Susan, but amount of static electricity is dependent on velocity of air (and dryness) and doubt that the domestic cleaner has the suck, unless it has a very fine nozzle, to generate it.

More of a problem is the aerosols used to blow things out, or high pressure compressed air.

Of couse as a mere male I would not know to much about vacuum cleaners...

BTW did you know that the word "vacuum" is the only word in the english language with 2 consecutive "u"'s?

DangerousDave
28-06-2002, 11:16 PM
Hi,
Thanks i'll check out the proggy now, i think it could be the cable as well, oh well, i'll see what happens when it comes to it, thanks for the help
- David

Susan B
29-06-2002, 12:04 AM
No, you probably wouldn't know much about vacuum cleaners godfather. (why haven't they got a "roll eyes" emoticon?) :|

Hubby says it's the actual parts of the cleaner as much or probably more than the air. For instance the plastic nozzle and parts have tiny bits of fluff stuck to them with the static electricity.

godfather
29-06-2002, 12:15 AM
True, but its the air molecules rushing down the tube that cause a high charge (in theory) at the very tip.
Actual "leakage" potential caused by 230v motor would be negligible in a modern cleaner, and would not relocate to the plastic tip.

I can do a 10 page scientific report if you like?

Here is a comment from Iowa State Uni....

Ordinary vacuum cleaners are great for sucking up the dust you blow out of the case, and they do a nice job on the outside of the computer. Just don't be tempted to save a few bucks on a can of air by using the vacuum inside the computer. You see, a charge of static electricity builds up on the tip of your vacuum cleaner hose. Unless it's grounded out properly it will add up to many, many volts before you accidentally touch it to something important inside the case--like a microchip, highly sensitive to static electricity, that is extremely important to the workings of your computer. Don't risk it!

godfather
29-06-2002, 12:38 AM
I perhaps should clarify its the dust in the air speeding down the hose and touching the plastic that builds up the charge, not pure air (in case you wanted to know)
Compressed air from a compressor is bad due to minute oil particles speeding out. Canned air *should* be OK?

As to the FDD problem, when a new drive is about $45, a second hand one would be ?? how much trouble is it worth?

Susan B
29-06-2002, 12:15 PM
> True, but its the air molecules rushing down the tube
> that cause a high charge (in theory) at the very
> tip.
> Actual "leakage" potential caused by 230v motor would
> be negligible in a modern cleaner, and would not
> relocate to the plastic tip.
>
> I can do a 10 page scientific report if you like?

Yes please, I'd like that. ;-)

> You see, a charge of
> static electricity builds up on the tip of your
> vacuum cleaner hose. Unless it's grounded out
> properly it will add up to many, many volts before
> you accidentally touch it to something important
> inside the case--like a microchip, highly sensitive
> to static electricity, that is extremely important to
> the workings of your computer. Don't risk it!

That would be the bit hubby was worried about. I didn't get that close! Very interesting stuff this, thanks for the info.

BTW godfather, does SWMBO vacuum your car as well as your house? :D

mikebartnz
29-06-2002, 12:33 PM
I can vouch for the fact that vacuum cleaners can create a terrific amount of static. Had a job once painting some beams and had to vacuum them before painting and there was so much static that I had a red mark like sunburn around my back where it had been touching the metal cage through clothing.

godfather
29-06-2002, 12:55 PM
Yes Susan SWMBO washes and vacuums the car(s)....isn't that her Raison D'Etre??

On receipt of a works order or cheque (payable to cash) the report will be forthcoming...Standard rate is $100 per page.

Graham L
29-06-2002, 03:15 PM
If you've got low humidity, you might get a bit of charge. I don't think it would happen much in Christchurch at the moment. About 70-80% this morning. If you're worried, a soft paintbrush to disturb the dust and gravity will do the rest. You have to remove the drive to get the cover off it anyway.

I remember being warned about static from gas flow when I was doing some work with hydrogen balloons. H2 can catch fire from the charge when you "crack" the 2000 psi cylinder. So I used conductive rubber hose and copper fittings to fill the balloon. That was all right. Since it was a tethered one, I then had to deal with the balloon after it was pulled down. It had been to 500 ft (and the voltage gradient is about 100 V/m -- say, 30 V/ft). I tossed the scissors at it. Gentle "puff" sound, and the shreds of the balloon fell the last 10 feet.

I don't think that your vacuum cleaners are that good.