PDA

View Full Version : FAQ #10 What is win386.swp? Can I delete it?

Chilling_Silence
27-06-2002, 01:19 PM
FAQ #10 What is win386.swp? Can I delete it?

Okay, Win386.swp is like extra RAM for your PC if you don't have enough to be running all the programs that you are.
Lets start with this.
YOu have several programs running - MS Word, MSN, Yahoo, IE 6, and WinAmp.
Now, If you especially have machine with only a small amount of RAM - less than or equal to 128MB, that won't be enough to hold onto all the programs, so, while a program is running in the background, it uses the file Win386.swp to immitate RAM, only it would be a little slower. Win386.swp is known as Virtual RAM. Windows uses the file to hold information that cannot fit into RAM and then to Re-Call it into RAM when there is enough room - or it is about to be used by the PC User. If you have WinAmp playing, but the other items mentioned above in the background, the likes of MS Word, IE, and anything else that will not fit in RAM will be loaded out of RAM and into Win386.swp until it is needed. So WinAmp and Word are still in RAM, but because the others are in the background at the time, they obviously do not need to be used at the higher speed of RAM because they are likely sitting idle. Win386, basically is an extention to RAM if you have a lot open at the one time

Tell me what ya'll think B-)
Joe

Graham Petrie
27-06-2002, 02:45 PM
Again, just a few comments.

>Okay...

Formal langugae is better as it makes the reader feel you are educated and know what you are talking about. Colloquialisms are fine in chat rooms, and in some cases in the forum, but not in a FAQ.

>...extra RAM for your PC if you don't have enough to be running all the programs that you are.

Explain better. This sentence may scare people a litlle (OK, I'm being picky on this one).

>...128mb, that won't be enough to hold onto all the programs...

Depends on your OS etc. A PII with Win 98 will usually perform fine with 128mb.

Explain how it uses your harddrive like RAM. The part of the HD being used like this is in a file called win386.swp

>...only it would be a little slower...

Explain why. ie. HD accessed at slower speed than RAM.

Basically, I think your knowledge is sound, but you need to work on your communication of that knowledge.

Good though, nice and short - not too long and daunting to read. (Like my Dual Boot FAQ which is in the works - over 2000 words thus far).

G P

Chilling_Silence
27-06-2002, 04:13 PM
hehe, thanks, i'll check back soon on it, much appreciated though, and I've read your multi-boot section, looks good.
Jo

Chilling_Silence
27-06-2002, 04:27 PM
FAQ #10 What is win386.swp? Can I delete it?

Win386.swp is like extra RAM for your PC if you don't have enough to be running all the programs that you are. It basically emulates RAM using your HDD if you have a lot of programs running and very little RAM.
RAM requirements vary between OS, so for running 2-3 Different programs at once, say, Word, Excel, and Outlook, on certain OS's the requrements will vary:
95/98 = 16MB Ram as a base and then 8MB For each extra Program
2k/ME = 32MB Ram as a base and then 16MB For each extra Program
WinXP = 128MB Ram as a base and then 32MB For each extra Program
Lets start with this.
You have several programs running - MS Word, MSN, Yahoo, IE 6, and WinAmp.
Now, If you especially have machine with only a small amount of RAM - less than or equal to 128MB, that won't be enough to hold onto all the programs, so, while a program is running in the background, it uses the file Win386.swp to immitate RAM, only it would be a little slower. Win386.swp is known as Virtual RAM. Windows uses the file to hold information that cannot fit into RAM and then to Re-Call it into RAM when there is enough room - or it is about to be used by the PC User. If you have WinAmp playing, but the other items mentioned above in the background, the likes of MS Word, IE, and anything else that will not fit in RAM will be loaded out of RAM and into Win386.swp until it is needed. So WinAmp and Word are still in RAM, but because the others are in the background at the time, they obviously do not need to be used at the higher speed of RAM because they are likely sitting idle. Win386, basically is an extention to RAM if you have a lot open at the one time. Win386.Swp will be slower than RAM because most HDD's get transfer speeds of between 5-20MBPS. RAM can transfer DATA at upto 333MBPS, depending on the type.

Tell me what you think, and how accurate is that RAM/OS Comparison, I'm pretty sure about the 95/98 and the XP Comparison, I use those frequently, but not really ME or 2k, and what about NT????
Jo

Graham L
27-06-2002, 04:50 PM
Umm. I agree with Graham P that it is better to keep the language a bit more formal. But the conversational tone is OK, if not overdone.

Nits: Spelling. "Virtual memory" is a better term: "ROM" is "RAM", too. Virtual memory is not "a little" slower; it is hundreds (at least) of times slower. You could make a reference to "paging" which is another term for the technique. Probably start with " DO NOT remove win386.swp", to make sure that people get the message.

This is sort of overlapping ... I had trouble posting.

tweak\'e
27-06-2002, 05:22 PM
> 95/98 = 16MB Ram as a base and then 8MB For each
> extra Program
> 2k/ME = 32MB Ram as a base and then 16MB For each
> extra Program
> WinXP = 128MB Ram as a base and then 32MB For each
> extra Program

???

minimum ram for win98/me is 32. at 32MB windows must use the swap file to load windows. if you disable the swap file on a 32MB win98/me system you will not be able to boot into windows(safe mode still works ok tho) win98/me will run ok with 128 but 196 is better. after that the performance per price diminishes.

i'm fussy ;-)

Chilling_Silence
12-02-2003, 09:04 AM
Note:
pagefile.sys is the name of win386.swp in 2K/XP/.NET and Im not too sure about WinNT.
Dont delete this either ;-)

KiwiGuy
27-02-2003, 02:11 PM
If one is going to backup the whole harddrive (i.e. by Ghost software) and you want to save on backup space it is safe to delete win386.swp first as it will be recreated when the next time you re-image the harddrive again.

robsonde
27-02-2003, 02:35 PM
looks good but you only answer thre first part of the question "What is win386.swp?" and not the "Can I delete it?" part of the question.

I would expect that after reading the what is it part most people wont try and delete it but you never can tell :-)

Can I delete it?

dont try and delete it. worst case is that your system will crash. best case is that the system will receate it when you re-boot and so you wont be saving any disk space.

Chilling_Silence
27-02-2003, 03:00 PM
You could try setting it to a very small size if you're keen to play with fire.

Depending on your OS, you could get away with shrinking it down to 50 odd megs, and also depending on how much RAM youve got.

BE CAREFUL, You could permanently damage your PC!