PDA

View Full Version : My baby wont run scan disk, even in safe mode!

Chris Wilson
27-06-2002, 09:51 AM
Vanessa is a 450 meg 98SE machine, that is doing far too much, including running an apache server 24/7

Proformance was getting a bit minamal, so i did what i hate doing, and turned the webserver off so i could run scandisk, then defrag
Something was still writing tto the disk, so i hit ctrl+alt+del and killed everything except systray, rundll32, and explorer, and went to bed.
Overnight something was writing to the HD, and scandisk eventually stopped.
I have run adaware, and removed all the wonderful add on to my system that this programme found. No Joy.
So i went into safe mode, and have observed the same problem.

Any suggestions???

Peter Johnson
27-06-2002, 10:07 AM
Have you tried using good old DOS Scandisk?

Just reboot to DOS & type "scandisk c:"

Just a thought...

ecko_nzed
27-06-2002, 01:02 PM
wouldn't advise using good old DOS version, it doesn't deal with long path and file names all that well. Do you have any virus scanning software running? McAfee's v.4.x needs to be diabled if you want to run scandisk or defrag on certain OS's.

Graham L
27-06-2002, 06:27 PM
Suggestion 1: How about booting with the install CD? That should come up in a minimal system which is still capable of doing the Scandisk properly. And because it is that minimal there can't be anything hiding in the woodwork.

Suggestion 2: I wonder if there might be some sort of FAT problem there which could be fouling up Scandisk. Try CHKDSK in a DOS boot. That won't try to fix anything unless it's told to, so it is safe. It's not as clever as Scandisk, but that could be an advantage if there is something which is causing a problem in SD.