PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have a problem with AVG and Go-Back

Iris
26-06-2002, 04:11 PM
Hello,

I am running windows 98SE with AVG virus. Recently installed Go-Back and when computer restarted AVG went from it`s usual healthy blue to bright red and told me I had a virus in the boot area. If I continued the virus would be left in the computer.

Out of curiosity (and slightly panic stricken!!!!) I uninstalled Go-Back and when Computer restarted AVG was back to it`s normal blue and there was no warning message.

Has anyone else had this problem, if it is a problem. Or are the two incompatible.

Many thanks, Iris

Billy T
26-06-2002, 05:23 PM
Hi Iris

I'm no expert on this, but since nobody else has answered I thought I'd give you the dubious benefit of my opinion.

IMHO it is highly likely that Go Back installs files that AVG mistakes for viruses, especially if it alters the boot sector of your HD.

Put simply, I am 99.99999999999% certain it is not a virus and you could probably go ahead and install Go back, tell AVG to ignore the virus message and all will be sweet.

If you need more comfort than that, try searching Google for AVG + "virus alert" + "Go Back" and see what pops up, or go to Grisoft and check their FAQ. If there is nothing there, put your question to them and see what they say.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Iris
26-06-2002, 07:00 PM
Thanks Billy T for that answer.
Puts my mind at ease.
Tried your Google suggestion. Gave me a chance to use my newly installed Google Toolbar, nothing came up though.
Have sent query to AVG, more out of curiosity than anything.

Thanks once again. Did try to put some happy faces on this, but can`t get emoticons to work. Not complaining though, everything else is working nicely.

Iris

Poppa John
26-06-2002, 07:52 PM
Re the Emoticons. I still cannot get them to work either. Have had advice from Susan B & Others but still no go. I expect there is one small thing I am NOT doing that doesn't seem worth saying in explanations because YOU know. As to AVG. I have been using this for a few months now & have not caught anything, touch wood (surreptisciously touches wooden head!) Poppa John

Susan B
26-06-2002, 08:19 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you still can't make the emoticons work Poppa John, I feel a bit of a failure as a teacher. :-(

It is possible that you are doing everything right but for some reason something in your system or maybe a forum bug is preventing them working.

Now that Iris has indicated that she is having problems too, I'll put a note in the Bugs thread for Bruce to investigate further.

godfather
26-06-2002, 08:26 PM
Poppa John, I dont see any sign of a failed emoticon on your post either..

Please do a post, and include a colon : a negative sign - and a right bracket ) with nothing in between.
Remember you wont see anything until you post or preview, it wont happen as you type. Just do it and see...please?

Iris
26-06-2002, 08:34 PM
Glad you picked up on the emoticons comment Susan.

I know you had replied somewhere earlier with some helpful advise but I couldn`t remember where. I click onto emoticons and the page pops up with all the faces but nothing happens when I click on to them.

At least the spell checker works for me now. You and all the others involved in the new Press F1 page deserve a big "Thank You" from the rest of us. It is a really amazing page and thank goodness there are still plenty of people putting in answers to all the queries.

Thanks also Poppa John for your answer. I have been using AVG for some months now too, which is why I wondered about incompatibility with Go Back.

Regards, Iris

Susan B
26-06-2002, 08:34 PM
Nay, I'll have one more try. Listen very carefully.

We will do the Happy face first.

On the right hand side of the L key is the colon/semi-colon key. Hold down shift and press this key to type the colon. It should look like this :

Next to the zero key on the number row of the keyboard is the hyphen and underline key. Press this key without using shift to get the hyphen which looks like this -

On the zero key previously mentioned is also the right bracket and to get it hold down shift and press the zero key so that it looks like this )

If you performed all this without pressing the spacebar you should have what looks like this : - ) only there won't be any spaces between them. Now have a look using the forum's Preview and see if you get the Happy face.

Waiting with baited breath to see if my teacher's head is about to roll.....

Susan B
26-06-2002, 08:39 PM
Ah Iris, I see! No, nothing will happen if you click on the icons, they are there merely to show you what keys to use. I can understand you trying to click on them though, because you can on other forums. This forum is special though. ;-)

You can also use your mouse button to copy and paste. My instructions to Poppa are here:

http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=21420

Iris
26-06-2002, 08:49 PM
:)]:)B-)

I do believe I`ve got it!!!!

Used mouse to copy and paste.

Yes Susan I had used emoticons before when you clicked on to them to add to message

Thanks once again

Iris

Susan B
26-06-2002, 09:11 PM
Wonderful! () () () () (hands clapping)

OK Poppa, your turn....

Poppa John
26-06-2002, 09:13 PM
To Susan B & Godfather. :-) :8} :D Ok Ok As the fella on my fair Lady said "He's got it He's got it" What I said was summat else In Old Anglo Saxon. I think what I was doing was typing in the symbol whilst still in the Emoticon page. I wrote them on my desk pad then typed them straight onto the message page . Thanks for your patience.
Susan Did you see my comment to you on the Welsh Bloodline?
Next Q, How can I print the Emoticons off? Poppa John

godfather
26-06-2002, 09:20 PM
Susan, I think I qualify for teachers rates now....

Great going Iris and Poppa John (ps Poppa, I was a sparky once as well)

Poppa John
26-06-2002, 09:23 PM
Susan B, You are not a failed Teacher I am a lousy Student. My age my age!! Poppa John

Susan B
26-06-2002, 09:36 PM
Hooray, my head will not roll! Thank goodness it wasn't a Press F1 bug either. :D

Hmmm, Welsh bloodline, Welsh bloodline.... oh yes, I remember now. I'm not all that familiar with Wales other than the places my mother has talked about and Neath and Swansea weren't part of her stamping ground. :-)

How do you print the emoticons? Oh dear, that's tricky. Have you got Word? You won't get the little pictures unfortunately, but if you drag over the entire emoticon table from top to bottom and copy and paste it into Word.

I've just tried it and unfortunately it doesn't put each one on a new line so you'll have to do that yourself before printing. It's probably easier to type it all out yourself or otherwise use the popup window. Or better still, learn one every few days until you know some off by heart.

Poppa John
26-06-2002, 09:43 PM
Godfather, All the BEST people were/are. ]:) Poppa John
Susan B, I fell in lust with a teacher once, my night school typing teacher. My wife wouldn't allow it tho. :^O. Bad Poppa John

Billy T
26-06-2002, 09:44 PM
Now Susan!

I feel it is my moral obligation to warn you that if you continue to go around with baited breath, you are likely to catch something. In fact, if you do, with the weather we've been having it's likely to be something fishy.

I wait with bated breath to hear the outcome of your hunting shootin 'n fishin expedition.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) ]:)

Poppa John
26-06-2002, 09:51 PM
Susan B Just when I thought you were A Welsh Sweetheart I find I will have to write them all down & then type them up.Remember them?? I can't remember who I am sometimes!!! One more Q. which key is the upright straight line, as in the CRY Emoticon? :x Poppa John

Susan B
26-06-2002, 09:52 PM
Where did I type "baited"??

Oh there! Ooops! :8}

Poppa John, you could have saved me a lot of typing if you had said that you had done typing lessons. I wouldn't have had to describe where all those keys were........ :O

Poppa John
26-06-2002, 10:02 PM
Susan B , I may have done some typing lessons but I wasn't allowed to finish the course!!! What is the Emoticon for "cry", last key stroke.:_I ?
I still type with two fingers. Poppa John

Susan B
26-06-2002, 10:06 PM
No, sorry to tell you but I'm no Welsh sweetheart.

> which key is the
> upright straight line, as in the CRY Emoticon? :x

It's right above the Enter key, shares with the backslash \

It's called a Pipe and you hold down shift to get it.

Billy, I won't be going fishing until at least September and I don't go hunting anymore, for the antlered type nor the manly type. The former is too much hard work and the latter is unnecessary as my man can't run faster than me any more!! :D

Poppa John
26-06-2002, 10:12 PM
Susan. :_| Got it, Thanks Over & out. Poppa John

Billy T
27-06-2002, 09:33 AM
Now now Susan!

Just because you can run faster than your man doesn't mean you can't still enjoy the thrill of the chase and the rapture of capture! ;\

Just give the old boy a decent head start and tease him a bit by fading in and out a few times before you pounce. Twice around the house should be enough, you don't want him so exhausted that he can't put up a reasonable fight at the kill. :x ;)

This advice is offered completely without care and BT (Inc) accepts absolutely no responsibilty. Consent should be obtained after the chase, not before; the arguments are shorter and the struggles weaker if he's out of breath.

Advice extracted from Billy T's compendium of letters to the lovelorn and the terminally married. ]:)

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D :D

PS Whadaya think of tweak'e's hacking efforts?

dipstick01
27-06-2002, 11:39 AM
puff puff....~pant~........no susan........stop.......thats ya man over there .~puff~ so please stop chasing the rest of us around the house :D

Iris
27-06-2002, 05:02 PM
Well who would have thought that my original query about AVG and GoBack would have turned into such a lot of fun with postings about emoticons.

Great to know that problems are dealt with seriously, but at the same time a great deal of fun can be had.

Some of you sound as though you are personal friends even.

Hope you recovered your breath Dipstick (rather fond of that name as my young son call his older sister that, in the nicest possible way)

Thanks everyone for all the help and the fun

Iris ;\ ]:):D:);)