PDA

View Full Version : Using modem for voice calls

Graham Petrie
26-06-2002, 11:50 AM
Hi,

I wish to record a dozen or so phone interviews using my PC. I am using Windows dialer in Windows XP. I have a microphone/heaphone designed for voice calls, and my modem supprts voice calls. I can dial OK, and when I speak, the person on the other end can hear my quite clearly, but I cannot hear them.

I have my mic and headphones plugged into my sound card. How do I configure things, so that my modem plays the input to the soundcard? I have tried plugging the haedphones directly into the modem with no joy. Must be a configuration problem, but what??

Cheers

G P

Susan B
26-06-2002, 12:26 PM
Have you tried double-clicking on the volume control icon in the taskbar icon tray and ensuring that the mic isn't muted?

If it isn't that, then while in volume control click on Options|Properties in the menu and make sure all the relevant things are ticked in there.

(Credit to godfather for showing me that one).

Graham Petrie
26-06-2002, 04:46 PM
Yah, tried all the obvious. It is a case of me not hearing them, not them not hearing me.

G P

Bazza
26-06-2002, 04:50 PM
Hi Graham: Susan's on to it, but I doubt if it involves 'unmuting' the mic in the Volume Play control, as you say the other person can hear you. It would seem that your mic settings are correct. ( These are set in the 'Record control' )

As you cant hear them, have you tried 'unmuting' some other sound inputs in the Play control. Possibly the 'wav' input is the one to check for voice sound.

Maybe you are well aware of setting the Windows Mixers. If not this maybe helpful to you, and others.

Win95/98 has two "mixers" for sound as follows:
Play control - this controls the inputs,& levels of the sound from your pc speakers.(in this you need to "mute" any unwanted inputs, e.g. mic, to avoid feedback when recording)

Record control - this controls the inputs & levels of the sound to record to a recorder program, or transmit using online phone & talk programs.(in this you need to "select" the wanted input, e.g. mic when recording)
Both need to be setup, depending on what you want to do. Have a look at this site. It is a good guide to setting both mixer controls.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~pcaffell/qtframes/qtalk.html

Graham Petrie
26-06-2002, 05:04 PM
I can hear other sound over the headphones fine (mp3's etc). Just not that from my modem. I am using Win XP, but the mixer controls are identical to Win 98. I just don't know how to configure the modem to play through the sound card.

G P

Susan B
26-06-2002, 05:27 PM
If you can't hear sound from your modem, maybe it's been setup to be quiet.

Lots of people post here asking how to shut their modem up, maybe you should try the reverse to their solution?

Bazza
26-06-2002, 06:03 PM
Hello again Graham:
I see your problem. Rather strange that the modem accepts your outgoing audio, but not the incomming audio.

Is the modem an internal or external, and have you tried finding information & help from the manufacturer?

I have a Dynalink external rural modem, with the same option, but as yet have not tried it. I would be keen to know if you can resolve this.

Susan, I dont think Graham wants to hear sound from the itty bitty modem speaker, used for the screaming phone tones. It's the voice audio into his soundcard he wants..

Good luck, cheers, 73's & 88's

sam m
26-06-2002, 06:32 PM
Hi,

I am going to ask the obvious questions, :p.
Can you hear them through your normal speakers?
How is the mic/headphone plugged into the sound card? Is it dual plugs? If so, unplug the one for the headphone and see if you can talk through headset mic and listen through normal speakers ( had to do this once when the headset I had wasn't working properly)

sam m

Graham Petrie
26-06-2002, 07:04 PM
I think it is a driver problem??? I have a internal PCI data/fax/voice modem with a rockwell (now conexant) chipset. I am using a fujitsu generic driver (the only one which would work). The new conexant drivers do not support voice at all.

I can supposedly get modified drivers from modemsite.com, but I have to pay a fee even if they don't work.

Any ideas?

I may be on the wrong track since the mic works. Here's another twist: If I plug my headset into the speaker jack on the modem, I can hear it dialling through the headphones, but then nothing. If I don't plug them in, I can hear it dialling and the modem comms over the modem speaker, until it verifies username and password, then nothing (as expected). It is strange how with the headphones sound cuts off the second the other line opens.

G P

Susan B
26-06-2002, 07:46 PM
> Susan, I dont think Graham wants to hear sound from
> the itty bitty modem speaker, used for the screaming
> phone tones. It's the voice audio into his soundcard
> he wants..

:8} Oh. :8}

Bazza
26-06-2002, 10:42 PM
Yes Susan

Yes Susan. I wonder why you say in my recent post.. the comment was:

Oh' Oh... What do you mean?

Susan B
26-06-2002, 10:54 PM
Merely that I embarrassed myself by forgetting that the modem speaker and the soundcard speaker are two separate items.

Of course Graham isn't going to hear any voices out of the modem speaker, duh! Silly me.

Bazza
26-06-2002, 11:11 PM
Good for you Susan..

No need to be embarressed, we are learning all the time, & mostly on this wonderful F1 site..

I value your input, so please keep helping for all of us as you can..

73 & 88's

TJMC
27-06-2002, 12:10 AM
Hi Graham, another way to obtain what you're after is with a little prog called Modem Spy <www.modemspy.com>. You can record both incoming and outgoing phone conversations automatically to .wav. Also lets you use your pc as an answering machine. Gives excellent clarity.
Only problem I've found is I cannot get it to playback through the programme itself (like it should), but it's easy enough to use media player or similar.

TJMC